PDA

View Full Version : In Command...Again

sourdough
12-07-2019, 05:23 PM
We recently had a thread about "do you like In Command" and my takeaway was that for the majority it was a negative. Most of the comments seemed to center around "connectivity" etc. Some commented that it was nice to bring in the awning...I have a remote for that already. I don't want to rehash that thread but what I'm interested in wasn't really addressed it didn't seem.

I am seriously considering another trailer. I truly like Keystone's floorplans but have some issues with some aspects as anyone who follows me knows. The In Command system looks to me like a show stopper. I'm not interested in "connectivity" I just want it to work as well, and as reliably, as switches. It appears to me that it doesn't and the jury is still out if the control panel just dies...then what?

Looking at a new Grand Design they have chosen to stick with the switches (smart) while Keystone has moved to the unreliable (as best I can tell) In Command. I like the Keystone better than the Grand Design due to a couple of things plus the 10% increase in pricing for the name. At this moment however I'm thinking In Command isn't worth the trouble.

For those that have it, from just a use standpoint...not connectivity, not "talking" to it from afar, but just making things work; how has it worked for that? Any catastrophic failures leaving you immobilized? I appreciate any feedback.

CaptnJohn
12-07-2019, 07:11 PM
I'm am old guy and like switches too. For that reason when I bought the 2019 Montana I passed on the Legacy edition. There were a few things I wanted but did not want the In Command. I had a remote with a 5er years ago and never used it, still have a remote for it around here somewhere. If a switch goes bad, replace it ~~ and they rarely do.
Looking at a GD, pass on the Reflection for sure. The Solitude should be fine. I looked at them and decided another Montana made more sense.

Tbos
12-07-2019, 07:20 PM
No issues with my in command yet. It doesn’t control the HVAC and I’m glad about that.

sourdough
12-07-2019, 07:49 PM
I'm am old guy and like switches too. For that reason when I bought the 2019 Montana I passed on the Legacy edition. There were a few things I wanted but did not want the In Command. I had a remote with a 5er years ago and never used it, still have a remote for it around here somewhere. If a switch goes bad, replace it ~~ and they rarely do.
Looking at a GD, pass on the Reflection for sure. The Solitude should be fine. I looked at them and decided another Montana made more sense.

Looked at the GD Solitude 3740HR but just not impressed with GD overall for the premium they want to charge. You have to reach the level of a Solitude (top line) to get a good suspension (MorRyde) and the rest of it did not look any better than a Keystone Cougar IMO. I really appreciate your feedback.

Old Mustanger
12-07-2019, 08:14 PM
No issues with my in command yet. It doesn’t control the HVAC and I’m glad about that.

Same here (no HVAC connection), no real issues. Did have 1 panic when went to roll up the awning a got a "In command not available" message but just had to reboot and everything was fine. I do feel they lumped too many lights together (can't turn the over the sinks lights on without turning all of the overhead kitchen lights on for example) but all in all neither overly pleased or displeased with the system. It would not stop me from buying a trailer that was what I wanted in every other way.

Charlie Johnson
12-07-2019, 10:08 PM
Been using in command for two years full timing, with no problems other than rebooting once in a while. Being able to run the slides from my phone is great in tight spots. I was very skeptical at first, not being very tech savvy.

ChuckS
12-08-2019, 06:01 AM
The latest version of In Command system appears to be much better due to hard wired connection from DC... display commander to the BCM... control module..

However... there is still NO provision for manual override of the hydraulic slide outs and six point level up system...

This would have to be done as it is on non in command systems using cordless drill to turn pump motor and manually opening desired solenoid valves on slide out or levelers... really no way around this because the hyd pump has to spin and solenoid valves have to open.

Mine doesn’t have in command.. but I’d consider a new fifth wheel with latest global connect version..

Also.. the latest version of in command has NO manual over ride for HVAC operation of air conditioners or furnace... I don’t like the idea of HVAC control thru in command...a stand alone digital thermostat is much more reliable

Just points to consider.

GeekSquadOfUn
12-08-2019, 07:38 AM
I have a 2019 Cougar 315RLS and love it all. iN-Command included.

Admittedly I am pretty tech-savvy and love intelligent gadgets. I have an wireless RVLock and smart TVs (Alexa/Google Assistant) in my unit, and a few other things....:D

The auto levelling is not controlled by it, it has its own wired control panel in the left compartment. Works well for me and I like it.

The features I like the most: controlling my AC and furnace from my bed and the awnings from anywhere, often outside when the wind picks up while sitting outside. Slide outs are great too.

Turning the water heater (E, G or both), water pump, the ceiling vent and the lights are nice to have.

My friend purchased a 2019 Montana HC and his 330RL does not have it, he admitted last week after seeing my experience, that he wished he had it.

The problem as I see it is a generational issue. Typical RV buyers are baby boomer or olders, and many have a hard time with new tech ( I was a Microsoft/Cisco engineer and trainer for many years). It was a gutsy decision for Keystone to embrace iN-Command, I'll give them that much. I guess they are trying to appeal to younger demographics. I can only imagine the round table discussions they had over this...

More RV manufacturers are doing it each year. ASA Electronics had to make it more reliable, it took a few years. It is reliable now. The Global Connect version is stable and ready for prime time.

Dealers IMHO have a hard time keeping up with new anything, let alone iN-Command and mobile phones/tablet. Most have a hard time changing the Ring tone on their phones.

It will take a few years, but we'll get to a point where, one day, all RVers will reminisce over the buttons of yesteryears.

chuckster57
12-08-2019, 07:45 AM
As a tech, I don't like any system that requires a mobile app for diagnosing issues. I have enough stuff on my phone...I LIKE the buttons!!

sourdough
12-08-2019, 08:09 AM
I have a 2019 Cougar 315RLS and love it all. iN-Command included.

Admittedly I am pretty tech-savvy and love intelligent gadgets. I have an wireless RVLock and smart TVs (Alexa/Google Assistant) in my unit, and a few other things....:D

The auto levelling is not controlled by it, it has its own wired control panel in the left compartment. Works well for me and I like it.

The features I like the most: controlling my AC and furnace from my bed and the awnings from anywhere, often outside when the wind picks up while sitting outside. Slide outs are great too.

Turning the water heater (E, G or both), water pump, the ceiling vent and the lights are nice to have.

My friend purchased a 2019 Montana HC and his 330RL does not have it, he admitted last week after seeing my experience, that he wished he had it.

The problem as I see it is a generational issue. Typical RV buyers are baby boomer or olders, and many have a hard time with new tech ( I was a Microsoft/Cisco engineer and trainer for many years). It was a gutsy decision for Keystone to embrace iN-Command, I'll give them that much. I guess they are trying to appeal to younger demographics. I can only imagine the round table discussions they had over this...

More RV manufacturers are doing it each year. ASA Electronics had to make it more reliable, it took a few years. It is reliable now. The Global Connect version is stable and ready for prime time.

Dealers IMHO have a hard time keeping up with new anything, let alone iN-Command and mobile phones/tablet. Most have a hard time changing the Ring tone on their phones.

It will take a few years, but we'll get to a point where, one day, all RVers will reminisce over the buttons of yesteryears.

I think you are partially correct about it being a generational issue...to a degree. The issue as I see it is trying to let/make a processor do everything for you to add a bit of convenience or "gee/wow" factor. I'm not impressed that easily.

I have however programmed lots of systems and shot trouble on lots of database/hardware issues. My daughter is a lead programmer/debugger for the State of FL and we get to discuss issues. From those experiences I completely understand how complex a situation can get when trying to analyze software/hardware that has run amok. When that issue then brings my RV, and my ability to do critical tasks, to a standstill vs having a hard connect with a button that I can immediately troubleshoot without assistance from the manufacturer or try to find hard to get parts....I'm all in with that. The gee/wow factor is fine for a home possibly, and maybe a vehicle, but if it can leave me stranded in the middle of nowhere without any way to manually correct a critical problem, then it's a weakness, not a strength IMO.

Hearing that later generations of In Command have improved is encouraging and if they are leaving some of the critical areas out of the control of the processor - that is a good thing. The last thing I want is to leave puppy here to run to town and return an hour later to find that a system has turned on the furnace on a 100+ degree day.

JRTJH
12-08-2019, 09:06 AM
an issue (or maybe not) that hasn't yet been addressed:

GM and Keystone entered an agreement to interface the In-Command system with future GM vehicles. What does that do to "advances in technology" for RAM or Ford owners ????

I can envision much the same happening here as happened with Apple vs Microsoft or Android vs I-Phone....

Will the "new and improved" updates to the system support both the old technology or will it migrate to an "exclusive GM/Keystone platform" ?????

I'm not "making accusations" rather "wondering how the system will evolve" and who gets "left in the dust" when it comes to updates and glitch resolution. Will "they" work on the GM/Keystone platform for fixes and after it's resolved, then (with no priority) try to find a work-around for RAM/Ford owners …… Or, will the "corporate policy" turn to a "GM/Keystone investment protection" attitude :(

ChuckS
12-08-2019, 10:20 AM
For GMC 2020 trucks the In Command is really just a blue tooth application incorporated into the vehicle display unit in the truck... why I’d want to extend slides, awnings, etc from the display of my truck doesn’t pass my logic test...

It’s just more garbage that GMC is integrating into the vehicle platform electronic display unit that WILL give owners troubles. And I’d love to see how the truck dealership tries to trouble shoot an In Command issue on their app display in the truck.

Does that mean the owner has to tow the fifth wheel to the GMC truck dealer so they can see what’s not working, why the app won’t sync with the BCM on the fifth wheel ?

It’s why I’m still driving my 2007 LBZ Duramax with no DEF and no fancy dash display... it works, I can work on it myself, and I don’t have to worry about a fancy dash display crapping out after warranty expires...

And at almost 66 I can hold my own with any “New” technology ... better than most youngsters...

Again... with the latest version of “Hard wired” DC... display commander to BCM I’d purchase fifth wheel with this with no second thoughts.

The nice thing is a “standard” for wire color coding is being used so this would make any future trouble shooting on a specific system a tad easier...

However.. the HVAC system shouldn’t have been tied into the In Command ...

The BCM is relatively easy to trouble shoot and they were smart and used socketed SS relays of the same type for all circuits. So if a circuit failed due to a bad SS relay it would be easy to swap for trouble shooting.

The hydraulic slide and six point leveling system is easy to manually over ride if the need arose

And... Jensen ASA tech support appears to be outstanding

slimchancepistolero
12-08-2019, 01:20 PM
my wife has a 2019 Ram Laramie 1500 and i have a 2019 Ram Big Horn 2500 .. we tow a 2019 Cougar 29RDB with the In Command ... first off Ram has enough trouble getting their trk U Connect working right to add the In Command system ... when we bought the Cougar the In Command did NOT work well with our Android S8 or S9+ phones ... i consider myself tech savvy .... no luck so i called the InCommand tech support and they gave me a web address to go download another NEW app that would match MY Cougar .... i did, the new app scanned my system and from that day on i have had NO problems ... i will say that like others when the day comes something does not work and i am tech savvy enough to know it will come, i would rather have wired switches ... my overhead lites in the living, bath and bedroom work off In Command and once on have individual switches ... the kitchen sink area is independent and the bunk area has wall switches independent of In Command
as others have said ... there is a control module with switches in the basement where WHEN things fail you can override operation

LHaven
12-08-2019, 01:41 PM
On the balance, I like my inCommand. I encountered one issue with it early on, where it wouldn't operate the furnace or air conditioning at extreme temps when you most needed them, but given that it ended up being a Dometic interface box problem, I'm not sure an old-fashioned thermostat wouldn't have encountered the same issue.

In my rig at least, the lights have manual switches as well as being controllable by inCommand, so that's not an issue. In fact, I have one bank of lights in the slide that is only controlled by switches, and I wish inCommand could control them. I am aware there are pushbutton bypass controls for the awning and slide, though I've never had to use them, plus the rig came with a manual slide crank, so belt and suspenders.

I like being able to turn the inside and outside lights on in my rig when I have to walk out to it on a moonless night, and off when I get back inside. I like being able to adjust the air conditioning or furnace temperature from my bed in the middle of the night without getting up. I like being able to extend the slide from outside while I'm watching for obstructions. I like being able to see the black tank water level from outside when I am using the SaniFlush port. And on the rare occasion when I have to leave the pets in the rig to go somewhere that doesn't allow them, I like being able to monitor the temperature inside the rig remotely, and adjust it if necessary.

Certainly I could live in a rig without the inCommand, and did for years, but it's grown on me, and I appreciate having it.

Tfmyers
12-15-2019, 09:30 AM
We don't like it but nothing so far that has immobilized the system. Also, don't try getting help from their service technicians they were totally clueless when it came to helping out! Good luck were going to Arizona in 2wks so see how it all operates for our 2nd winter with the Keystone.

Apalinto
12-15-2019, 09:52 AM
We have had our 2019 Cougar 315RLS for a year now and very much like the In Command system. Originally, we had to make sure we had the correct app for our phones, but the system itself has never failed us. I use my phone about 90% of the time vs. the wall mounted controller. I appreciate being able to control the slides, awnings, outside lights, thermostat controls and water heater remotely from the phone. Something about being able to move around while I check things out is a comfort. I can walk out to the water heater and and hear it kick in, I can check my slides extending while outside the rig, I can wake up and turn on the furnace from bed and I can turn on my awning light while positioned at a window for security. Not why we bought our Cougar but happy it came with this option.

Neil MacKinnon
12-15-2019, 11:03 AM
Have had it for 2 years on a 2018 Cougar with absolutely no problems. Like the fact that I can put slides out from outside actually at the slide and don't have to worry about obstructions. Same with canopy.

Jim2366
12-15-2019, 12:02 PM
I found on youtube and subscribed to ASAElectronics I found that they are informative:

https://www.youtube.com/user/ASAElectronics/search?query=keystone

Rdynbama
12-15-2019, 12:47 PM
We have a 2019 Raptor with N Command and so far I haven’t had any trouble with it
Still learning it though
The six point auto level is controlled separately
The floor plan on the Raptor was the selling point not the N Command
I’m told by the tech at the dealership that everything can be overridden through a monitoring system in the basement but I haven’t had to do that yet

rodgebone
12-15-2019, 02:36 PM
i dont have In Command but i would prefer NOT to have it. i want redundancy and old school switches that either work or dont - not some technology that is so hard to troubleshoot when it fails that the effort becomes pointless and leaves you without knowing what the backup plan should be to get things working again. i saw a Keystone factory tour vid where they touted the In Command and I instantly thought - what happens if there is a problem with it and basic functions stop working? and the other thing i thought was its over the top and too materialistic for camping and touring. i could see the use in a stick built home or for someone who views their RV/TT as a toy and cant get enough gadgets. but from a reliability factor i dont see the need for this. id rather have simplicity in a system when dealing with an issue on the road far from the dealership

Cooter
12-15-2019, 03:36 PM
We have a 2019 29bhs and have used the in command with much success. Using it to extend the slides in very tight camp spots is great. extending or retracting the awning from the phone is very nice as well.

Jim2366
12-15-2019, 06:43 PM
I like adjusting the hvac with my phone the best. I am anxious to try the InCommand Global Connect.

2019 Keystone Cougar 361rlw

mpellet723
12-15-2019, 08:56 PM
I have 2019 Cougar 29rld. It was made in September 2018. Being pulled by a 2018 Chev Silverado 2500 HD Z71 4x4.

Once I had the correct app by calling ASA the only issue that I had was with connecting the Wi-Fi.
Then a message came up on the control screen that an update was available. I called ASA and they sent me an update on a Memory Stick which plugged in to the bottom of the in-Command Control Pannel. I installed the updates and it has worked great ever since.

A good surge protected is a must.

I also love the auto level feature and the hitch hight memory, they both work great.

We used it only twice in 2018 before putting it to bed. Used it on 8 trips this past year.

I also added a set of Snap Pads they work great also.

Sorry for the length of this post.

Merry Christmas Everyone.

goodellj
12-16-2019, 04:13 AM
Interesting reading on the further evolution of remote controls! To each his own!
The 2012 has a remote control that I find very useful for adjusting the hitch height from the drivers seat when hooking up. It has about 6 functions and I don't use the others very often, although occasionally they come in handy for a special purpose like cleaning the awning or slide toppers, watching for obstacles, etc. My 3 year old grandson like to push buttons and he finds the control center irresistible! We had to tape a paper cover on the CC when he camped with us!

Peacemkr53
12-16-2019, 09:42 AM
2019 Cougar 315RLS...... last Feb pulled to TN, Lived in it fulltime until July 1 (when it went to the Dealer for warranty .... and they still have it). Never had issue with the InCommand. I am old school, too.... But it has worked fine for me. When we go out again I will have to try the app.

I looked at a GD as well. The difference for me was about 18%. Not worth it for me. Although I had issues with the Cougar (vacuum Breaker, Sinks leaking, plumbing connections.....) I still am glad I got it. Happy Trails, Sourdough.

GeoZ
12-16-2019, 05:17 PM
Have a 2019 Cougar 32RLI with In-Command and could never go back to a TT without it. Yes, I had 2 issues. The A/C and furnace would both run at the same time. Control box in the Dometic A/C was replaced and condition corrected. Other issue was having problem with blue tooth connection to phone. Called ASA and was given an available update which corrected the issue. We used our TT for 16 trips this past season so my opinion is the system is reliable. Concerning auto level, how'd we ever live without that?? It's making me lazy!!

LewisB
12-16-2019, 05:30 PM
We have a 2018 Raptor that has the ProPlus version (not the most recent version). It uses a combination of switches for some lights and software for others. I didn't think I would like it at first - but after 8 months and multiple trips, I'd have to admit that I actually have grown fond of InCommand. I really like being able to operate the slides, awnings, and generator while I'm walking around checking things. Closing the slides during a nap is especially nice! I'm glad that our unit does NOT control the HVAC. So I think this "mix" of controls ended up being very good for us.

When we first started using InCommand, I had some of the comm issues mentioned by others. I talked with ASA a couple of times and found them to be VERY helpful and pleasant to deal with. Once you get the correct version of the software and updates and get it set the way you want in your phone, it is actually quite nice to use.

InCommand DOES have a backup to the keypad - there are dials and switches on the main control panel that allow control of all the keypad functions. On the keypad, I shut off the need for a pass code; on my iPhone, I use a simple to enter code (4 zeros) since that is a phone requirement.

So, in the end, InCommand gets a thumbs up from me.

Apalinto
12-16-2019, 05:37 PM
Hi GeoZ. You are the second member to mention updating your In Command system. I am not needing an update but I am curious, how was the update done? Did you use your phone? Did you actually connect an interface wire to the console? I agree with you, the system is quite reliable and now I'm spoiled. Love our level up system as well. Thank you.

LHaven
12-16-2019, 05:39 PM
Then a message came up on the control screen that an update was available. I called ASA and they sent me an update on a Memory Stick which plugged in to the bottom of the in-Command Control Pannel. I installed the updates and it has worked great ever since.

For those comfortable with technology, you can download the updates from their public website onto your own memory stick and not have to wait or bother ASA. (I'd supply the link, but different models of inCommand have different pages and different updates.)

LHaven
12-16-2019, 05:41 PM
Hi GeoZ. You are the second member to mention updating your In Command system. I am not needing an update but I am curious, how was the update done? Did you use your phone? Did you actually connect an interface wire to the console?

There's a USB port under the bottom edge of the bezel. Put the update package on a memory stick, plug it in, and navigate to the update function.

sourdough
12-16-2019, 06:24 PM
I want to tell everyone how much I appreciate your input - and please keep it coming. I have/had read so many things negative about InCommand that I made the decision I would not have it - not generational or confused, I just want things to work and not go south when I don't want them to without a bunch of drama to get it going.

Feedback from all of you is beginning to sway my thoughts. I truly appreciate the time you took to give that feedback. As I mentioned, keep the feedback coming if you have any - I will make a decision and you all have made a significant impact on my thinking.

Ed wrobel
12-16-2019, 11:08 PM
Had trailer a Montana 3721 it’s a 2017 had no problems with in command till lightning struck,literally.It fried our surge protector a GFCI outlet and the button to enable the slides,jacks.We needed to replace it all,insurance covered it . Our 2016 Chevy Silverado wasn’t spared it is still in the shop after 2 mos.What can you do?I would recommend Keystone and in command both parties helped me the best they could under the circumstances. We wouldn’t trade our summer for anything. It’s fortunate that it happened at the end of the trip instead of the beginning. Traveling for extended periods has it’s downs but mostly ups, it’s not for everybody but we can’t wait for next summer.Hope this helped to make a decision. See you on the road.

GeekSquadOfUn
12-17-2019, 05:31 AM
I like adjusting the hvac with my phone the best. I am anxious to try the InCommand Global Connect.

2019 Keystone Cougar 361rlw
If your camping offers Wifi and you have a router in you coach, as I do, then your iN-Command module can connect to your coach's WiFi. You have to enable that.

Then with your phone, anywhere where you have access to the internet, like at a restaurant, you can turn the lights on and off, the water heater, the water pump, the thermostat up or down, it's super cool.

The awnings are not remote accessible, that makes sense you need to see them. I suspect the same for the slide outs, I haven't tried those and wouldn't anyhow.

Intelligent technology in my books.

GeekSquadOfUn
12-17-2019, 08:54 AM
Had trailer a Montana 3721 it’s a 2017 had no problems with in command till lightning struck,literally.It fried our surge protector a GFCI outlet and the button to enable the slides,jacks.We needed to replace it all,insurance covered it . Our 2016 Chevy Silverado wasn’t spared it is still in the shop after 2 mos.What can you do?I would recommend Keystone and in command both parties helped me the best they could under the circumstances. We wouldn’t trade our summer for anything. It’s fortunate that it happened at the end of the trip instead of the beginning. Traveling for extended periods has it’s downs but mostly ups, it’s not for everybody but we can’t wait for next summer.Hope this helped to make a decision. See you on the road.
Help me understand here how iN-Command contributed to this... I think it was a victim like everything else that got fried....

Am I missing something ?

rodgebone
12-17-2019, 05:17 PM
GeekSquadOfUn

Help me understand here how iN-Command contributed to this... I think it was a victim like everything else that got fried....

Am I missing something ?

i think the point is this system is expensive to diag and repair, runs too many essentials and was easily disabled by a freak of nature. a simpler system could possibly have provided redundancy (and that was MY point in my previous post). having said that i wouldnt blame the cause of a lightning strike on ANY system - it was obviously a victim just like all his other systems. I dont think Ed is blaming his In Command for this unfortunate event

GeekSquadOfUn
12-17-2019, 05:58 PM
GeekSquadOfUn

i think the point is this system is expensive to diag and repair, runs too many essentials and was easily disabled by a freak of nature. a simpler system could possibly have provided redundancy (and that was MY point in my previous post). having said that i wouldnt blame the cause of a lightning strike on ANY system - it was obviously a victim just like all his other systems. I dont think Ed is blaming his In Command for this unfortunate event
I understand.

Thanks

GeoZ
12-18-2019, 07:53 PM
I contacted ASA tech assist. They walked me through how to see what version my system had. It needed an update. If I remember correctly, they sent to me via the internet, I downloaded to a memory stick and then installed. Was actually quite easy.

GeekSquadOfUn
12-18-2019, 08:00 PM
I contacted ASA tech assist. They walked me through how to see what version my system had. It needed an update. If I remember correctly, they sent to me via the internet, I downloaded to a memory stick and then installed. Was actually quite easy.

Good for you.

I've done a few updates this year, they are all available on their web site too. There often is 2 updates : one for the main module and one for the display.

RWRiley
12-19-2019, 07:57 AM
And I’d love to see how the truck dealership tries to trouble shoot an In Command issue on their app display in the truck.

Does that mean the owner has to tow the fifth wheel to the GMC truck dealer so they can see what’s not working, why the app won’t sync with the BCM on the fifth wheel ?

I can already hear the conversation.......GM will say it's a problem with RV, and the RV dealer will say it's a problem with the truck.

JRTJH
12-19-2019, 10:56 AM
I can already hear the conversation.......GM will say it's a problem with RV, and the RV dealer will say it's a problem with the truck.

What I envision is Keystone may be "willing to help" with GM truck issues (they have a corporate contractual agreement between Keystone and GM) and what happens to a Ford or RAM owner who has the same problem with the In-Command system.... With the "history of reluctance" that Keystone has to be "up front and eager to help" with warranty issues, I can see some "smart a**" at Keystone suggesting, "Well, we only provide that warranty assistance to GM owners."..... Hopefully it won't come to that, but...….

GeekSquadOfUn
12-19-2019, 03:05 PM
On my F-250, 2 years ago, I replaced/upgraded the radio with a new head, essentially an Android tablet combined to a radio. I can now run anything I wish: Google Maps, Waze, Sygic, Spotify, etc.

The Fit and finish is perfect. It even shows the Ford logo as it boots up. It's a no name I got direct from China for $250.

Synced to my phone, a few ODB gizmos and now, after installing the app, it connects to iN-Command in my Cougar. It works fine.

I honestly do not see the advantages at all, I much prefer to use my phone.

I think it's a non-starter. So GM can't really be excited with this. GM has always been ahead of the curve on such tech. Look at OnSTAR, I often wondered why others did not offer it too...

My 2 cents.

Martin60
04-11-2020, 07:38 PM
I must be doing something wrong. Just bought a 2020 29rks I down loaded the app on my phone got it paired to in-command system. I works when I am at the rv but when 100ft away it wont. has anyone had this problem.

LewisB
04-11-2020, 08:52 PM
I must be doing something wrong. Just bought a 2020 29rks I down loaded the app on my phone got it paired to in-command system. I works when I am at the rv but when 100ft away it wont. has anyone had this problem.

I would guess it is a Bluetooth distance issue. 100 feet for Bluetooth is not bad and I’m not sure you’ll get much more out of it.

LHaven
04-11-2020, 09:20 PM
Outside 100 feet, you can run the trailer from pretty much anywhere in the world if you get the inCommand unit to attach to a Wi-Fi network wherever it's parked.

GeekSquadOfUn
04-12-2020, 05:34 AM
Nothing wrong at all. You're connecting with Bluetooth (BT) and the specs for BT is 30 meters (approx 100ft). This makes sense and is the best logical way to connect in an RV.

To connect from further away, from anywhere in the world for that matter, it's a bit more involved.

Your RV needs access to the internet, the iN-Command module has a little antenna for Wi-Fi as well. You connect to the internet and register to the IN-Command "cloud" so to speak. This connection needs to be maintained all the time. That is the difficult part for most, as I have ain't that easy to get a solid, reliable and permanent connection to the internet in a campground. I guess you could have another cell phone, turn its hot spot feature on, and connect that way...

Then, from your other tablet or phone, you launch the iN-Command app and connect, this time to "the cloud", which in turn sends your request to your module in your RV.

You can control every thing that has no motor, you cannot control slides, levelling system, awnings for example, as this could lead to disasters 😎

Hope this helped.

LewisB
04-12-2020, 06:00 AM
Outside 100 feet, you can run the trailer from pretty much anywhere in the world if you get the inCommand unit to attach to a Wi-Fi network wherever it's parked.

That is true only for the most recent version of iN.Command. There are at least 5 versions (lite, Gen1, Pro, Pro+, and GlobalConnect). Only the most recent Global Connect system has WiFi capabilities. Prior versions DO NOT have WiFi capabilities. The newest Global Connect systems started some time around 2018. Our 2018 Raptor was built early in the model year and has the Pro+ (non-WiFi) system. From a bulk number of units built, I would guess there are probably more iN.Command systems without WiFi than those with WiFi. These earlier systems are all running on bluetooth radio (only) and would be limited to 100 feet or so in range.

At least, that is my understanding...

GeekSquadOfUn
04-12-2020, 06:51 AM
That is true only for the most recent version of iN.Command. There are at least 5 versions (lite, Gen1, Pro, Pro+, and GlobalConnect). Only the most recent Global Connect system has WiFi capabilities. Prior versions DO NOT have WiFi capabilities. The newest Global Connect systems started some time around 2018. Our 2018 Raptor was built early in the model year and has the Pro+ (non-WiFi) system. From a bulk number of units built, I would guess there are probably more iN.Command systems without WiFi than those with WiFi. These earlier systems are all running on bluetooth radio (only) and would be limited to 100 feet or so in range.

At least, that is my understanding...
Correct I did forget to mention that. You need the Global Connect logo on your display module...

JRTJH
04-12-2020, 08:59 AM
Remember this, IF you connect your trailer to WIFI, put it in storage while connected, leave power on the trailer AND set up the "global connect feature", you MIGHT (not always) "buttdial" your trailer, opening a slide, turning on some system or ????? If your trailer is in storage, parked "inside the slide clearance" to the next trailer, "buttdialing the slide" could prove "very damaging" not only to your slide but to the trailer parked 2' away.....

There are "built in safety features" to prevent this from happening, but as we all know from multiple posts on this forum (and elsewhere) many people ask and receive the procedure to "bypass the passcode so I don't have to enter it every time I want to do something"....

Use that feature carefully, if you have it.

LHaven
04-12-2020, 10:35 AM
Two comments – the OP mentioned that his model was a 2020 so I didn't bother to assume it was one of the earlier units without Wi-Fi. And the inCommand folks have explicitly disabled some of the more "dangerous" activities (like moving slides and awnings) so that they're not available over Wi-Fi. You can, however remotely turn on the heat, AC, or water pump, which could certainly lead to problems.

Also, you can turn off the passcode for the panel inside the system (or say that the passcode lasts forever, which is essentially the same thing), but you cannot turn off the passcode to the app to the best of my knowledge.

GeekSquadOfUn
04-12-2020, 10:40 AM
Remember this, IF you connect your trailer to WIFI, put it in storage while connected, leave power on the trailer AND set up the "global connect feature", you MIGHT (not always) "buttdial" your trailer, opening a slide, turning on some system or ????? If your trailer is in storage, parked "inside the slide clearance" to the next trailer, "buttdialing the slide" could prove "very damaging" not only to your slide but to the trailer parked 2' away.....

There are "built in safety features" to prevent this from happening, but as we all know from multiple posts on this forum (and elsewhere) many people ask and receive the procedure to "bypass the passcode so I don't have to enter it every time I want to do something"....

Use that feature carefully, if you have it.
Let me confirm. You cannot operate anything with a motor using Global Connect.

You will not operate your slides, or jacks or awnings. Impossible.

These functions only work with a Bluetooth connection, so you can 'see' what's happening.

Finally, not too many people have power and/or a permanent Wi-Fi connection while in storage. I don't know anyone who does...

JRTJH
04-12-2020, 11:07 AM
Let me confirm. You cannot operate anything with a motor using Global Connect.

You will not operate your slides, or jacks or awnings. Impossible.

These functions only work with a Bluetooth connection, so you can 'see' what's happening.

Finally, not too many people have power and/or a permanent Wi-Fi connection while in storage. I don't know anyone who does...

Your first part is "good to know info" I do hope that it's accurate. The system is also designed "so you need to always enter a passcode to activate any feature". We all know how easy it is to bypass that and "conveniently" press buttons without having to "do all the access stuff"...

As for the bolded part, I know of a number of people around here who store their RV "beside the garage" or "under a pole built shelter" connected to the "house WIFI modem/router" and plugged into shore power (either through the garage 110 volt outlet or a 30/50 amp dedicated outlet). They do that so they can watch HULU or ??? while using the trailer as a "man cave/she shed"...

Many of them park "next to the fence" so they can walk next to their RV or they park next to the garage so they can walk around the RV. So there are lots of people who have active WIFI connections AND power to their RV while it's "stored"...

LewisB
04-12-2020, 11:13 AM
All good points when you dive into the details. In the OP, Danny asked the question "Any catastrophic failures leaving you immobilized?" I'd like to speak to that question:

I really like the iN.Command system, but I found what was for me a near catastrophe waiting to happen. Here's the details:

Trailer: 2018 Raptor
iN.Command: ProPlus (no WiFi)
Main entry steps: Morryde Step Above (4 step)
Hydraulic Levelors: Lippert Level-Up

These are the elements that lead to a near catastrophe for us. Here's how.

Truck was unhooked. Trailer was set up with steps out and main door closed.
iN.Command programmed to operate front jacks for hooking/unhooking.
I was working around camp, completing the setup, when I pulled out my phone and noted that I had "butt-dialed" the iN.Command operational page that included the hydraulic jack operation.
Had I inadvertently caused my front jacks to retract, I would likely have destroyed the main entry door and/or the steps.
Moral of the story for me: if you carry your phone around, best NOT to have the hydraulic jacks programmed to operate with the iN.Command system.

See the attached warning from Morryde. This could easily have happened to us!

Hblick48
04-12-2020, 02:36 PM
My biggest problem with this type of tech is when the maker decides that it has reached the "end of life" and discontinue updates and fixes.

I have a 2005 Cadillac STS that I purchased new. Touch screen GPS, radio, settings, etc. About a year ago had to replace battery. After installation, clock and GPS no longer work. Clock display "--:--". There is no way to manually set time. After spending time on Cadillac Forum, I find out that others have the same problem. Seems that vehicle clock time is set by the GPS satellites. Seems like too many weeks have passed since the initial program date (program bug), clock can't count that high. Took car to dealer, they were unable to set clock either. GM has no intention to fix. There are thousands of Cadillacs and Corvettes on the road with this issue.

15 years from now, system will die, no parts available, no mfg support. RV will be unusable.

I'll take switches anytime.

LewisB
04-12-2020, 03:35 PM
My biggest problem with this type of tech is when the maker decides that it has reached the "end of life" and discontinue updates and fixes...

15 years from now, system will die, no parts available, no mfg support. RV will be unusable.

I'll take switches anytime.

I get this perspective.

However, the iN.Command system includes a major control panel in the pass-through storage area that includes the actual wiring and all the relays that operate all of the connected equipment. The controller and your phone (through bluetooth) simply control these relays. The short term backup if the iN.Command controller fails is to manually use these relays to operate all equipment (slides, awnings, etc.) - the iN.Command user's manual walks the owner through this process.

So, in my mind, if this worst case scenario were to ever happen and the iN.Command controller would not function and could not be fixed/replaced, I would simply pull a wire bundle up into the cabin and wire switches to each of these relays, thus giving me centralized switch control of all iN.Command functions. So, for me, I'm not too concerned about future useage.

LHaven
04-12-2020, 05:45 PM
Keep in mind it is possible to download all the current software for your inCommand unit to a thumb drive from the manufacturer's website (in fact, that's how you update your unit). So no matter what support the manufacturer may pull, you can always return your unit to basic local operation if it gets corrupted, by keeping those back up files.

Now, among the things you could use lose in the future due to discontinuation of support is the ability to access your rig over the Internet (requires the manufacturer's server to coordinate), or the app could be pulled by the manufacturer or from the App Store. Very low probability events include changes to the Wi-Fi or Bluetooth standards (e.g., a similar situation to the insecure encryption modes that browsers are no longer allowed to use).

I'm slightly concerned about any of these eventualities, but not overly concerned.

GeekSquadOfUn
04-12-2020, 05:58 PM
Many of them park "next to the fence" so they can walk next to their RV or they park next to the garage so they can walk around the RV. So there are lots of people who have active WIFI connections AND power to their RV while it's "stored"...
I hear you. I live in a big city and no one around here or any of my friends can store their RVs at home, either for space or city by-laws, we all park our coaches in RV storage lots and pay lots of money (I pay $1,000 a year) for a gravelled, secured space. No power whatsoever. I have a solar panel to keep my batteries topped up. Hence my comment. But I can appreciate some may be spoiled in luxury storage spots with power and Wi-Fi.

I spend (spent ? who knows how this crazy virus thing will turn out...) my winter months in Texas and during those 4 months have solid internet and am able to use Global Connect to its full potential. I never use it anytime else, too complicated to maintain that internet to the coach all the time.

JRTJH
04-12-2020, 06:02 PM
There's another thread currently discussing GM diesel tuners for older trucks. Seems none of the "aftermarket suppliers" are supporting the older, less profitable truck platforms. As any product ages, changes will make parts of the original either obsolete or not available "in future years"...

Try finding a tail light lens for a 1950 Buick. They were available "everywhere" in 1955, but now… Not so much...

It's going to be the same with the In-Command system, but honestly, I'd suspect it's going to be the same with finding a water pump or a stereo system that's a "one for one swap" 15 years from now.

Heck, I'd suspect finding a replacement anti-siphon valve (the one that seems to always leak) 15 years from now will also be an improbability....

notanlines
04-13-2020, 03:19 AM
John, you knew this would happen:
https://www.ebay.com/i/183760747497?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&itemid=183760747497&targetid=885291054415&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=9057286&poi=&campaignid=9426387774&mkgroupid=92958141302&rlsatarget=pla-885291054415&abcId=1140476&merchantid=114764347&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIrfaxmqPl6AIVD5-fCh1rAwEJEAQYASABEgKv_fD_BwE
1950 Buick tail light lens
Not bad for about $30 with shipping.
Back to the original conversation, I would pay extra NOT to have any 'In Command' equipment. I'll take switches any day.

JRTJH
04-13-2020, 05:34 AM
Denis,

The "passcode delete" is a simple "couple of keystrokes" to eliminate the frustration of entering a passcode every time you pick up the phone. I'm sure you've already done that or at least heard about it....

As for the "no motorized equipment activated with Global Connect"... The safety interlock for that feature lockout is application of +12VDC on pin 41 on the command unit. That +12VDC triggers the "Global Connect safety Interlock" to turn it off and allow motorized components to move with the WIFI. It's already a "workaround" for anyone who wants to open/close their slides from Boston when the trailer is stored in San Francisco.... Why anyone would want to do it ??? Now I have no idea why, but like many other "safety devices" some people want to completely bypass them "because the "guvment" cant make me do it and I'll show them...… :hide:

And, yeah, many areas do allow RV's to be stored at home, next to the garage and I've seen a couple of crushed recliners and torn up refrigerator doors from "butt dialed slide closures" At least that's what they've blamed for the damage, although some of them sure do look like the owner just was outside and too lazy to walk inside to close the slide after parking it beside the garage....

JRTJH
04-13-2020, 05:38 AM
I wish I had seen that back around 1968 when I couldn't find a replacement lens for my newest "All I could afford back then" ride..... Now, no longer needed, but good to know a $1.00 part is still available, even if it is used and $30.....

I'm starting to have problems finding that kind of part for my '05 Mustang... Whoda thunk it's already 15 years old and almost qualifies for "antique plates"... LOL

flybouy
04-13-2020, 06:04 AM
Denis,

The "passcode delete" is a simple "couple of keystrokes" to eliminate the frustration of entering a passcode every time you pick up the phone. I'm sure you've already done that or at least heard about it....

As for the "no motorized equipment activated with Global Connect"... The safety interlock for that feature lockout is application of +12VDC on pin 41 on the command unit. That +12VDC triggers the "Global Connect safety Interlock" to turn it off and allow motorized components to move with the WIFI. It's already a "workaround" for anyone who wants to open/close their slides from Boston when the trailer is stored in San Francisco.... Why anyone would want to do it ??? Now I have no idea why, but like many other "safety devices" some people want to completely bypass them "because the "guvment" cant make me do it and I'll show them...… :hide:

And, yeah, many areas do allow RV's to be stored at home, next to the garage and I've seen a couple of crushed recliners and torn up refrigerator doors from "butt dialed slide closures" At least that's what they've blamed for the damage, although some of them sure do look like the owner just was outside and too lazy to walk inside to close the slide after parking it beside the garage....

That would be a disaster if someone "drooped" their phone while driving 75 mph down the highway and see the slides coming out in the mirror! I can hear the insurance investigator asking "you bypassed what"? Oooouch!

sourdough
04-13-2020, 06:22 AM
I want to thank everyone for their thoughts and insight into the InCommand system. It has been, and is, a very informative thread IMO.

Most probably know but I did not update this thread; I did purchase a new fifth wheel; a Montana High Country 331RL. That unit does not have InCommand. DW and I both agreed that we like the simplicity and reliability of the switches.

Some interesting points have been brought up about the use, like or dislike of the InCommand system. One was that it was more of a "generational" issue; younger folks like "tech" stuff and older ones don't. There is some validity to that view. I used to love "tech" stuff and in fact was on the forefront of a lot of that stuff....40-45 years ago....but that was 40-45 years ago. Nowadays I don't want to spend hours poring over documents, data, instructions to learn how to turn on a light - my patience has deteriorated greatly over the decades, and, I never had any anyway.

I did find out something very interesting from Keystone as I investigated what to buy. I spoke with a director of product development for them. I asked why did I see switches in some units and In Command in others? Why did it seem to be that way in other RV lines? His reply? It's a demographic thing to them (read generational). They study who buys what and they find that those buying the Montana line and things like that are more inclined to want switches. The younger, more techy, folks are more inclined to like In Command. I had not really thought about that aspect but they apparently DO put a little thought into what goes where. I was afraid that choosing a unit with switches would automatically make the unit obsolete in a year or 2. He said it would not as they had no intention of discontinuing the switches. Good news for those of us that like them. Now, if that just holds true....:confused:

Just an update so folks would know my ultimate decision. I think the thread has been (and is) interesting and informational hopefully answering questions and shedding some light on concerns potential buyers (or current users) of In Command may have.

GeekSquadOfUn
04-13-2020, 12:28 PM
Thank you for your update, very much appreciated and funny enough, my best friend ended up buying a 2019 330RL (I think the 2-way fridge is the only difference with yours).

As long we're happy with what we've got, that is after all, the only thing that counts.

I've always wanted a 6-pack like Dwayne Johnson, but settled happily with a belly...

dutchmensport
04-13-2020, 12:54 PM
I don't have "In Command" either but, if it wasn't for advancements in technology, we'd all still be sleeping in caves.

LHaven
04-13-2020, 03:22 PM

The passcode on the phone, yes; on the app, no. If you can refer me to this, I'd be surprised. To the best of my knowledge (and I have looked (https://www.keystoneforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=280096#post280096)) there is no facility to disable the passcode on the app. There is a facility to clear the passcode on the interior screen (https://in-command.net/faqs/), but the very next thing that happens is it reboots and demands you establish a new passcode. Best you can do is set the passcode timer "off" so you enter it once and then it stays unlocked forever (or until 12V power dies).

As for the "no motorized equipment activated with Global Connect"... The safety interlock for that feature lockout is application of +12VDC on pin 41 on the command unit. That +12VDC triggers the "Global Connect safety Interlock" to turn it off and allow motorized components to move with the WIFI. It's already a "workaround" for anyone who wants to open/close their slides from Boston when the trailer is stored in San Francisco.... Why anyone would want to do it ???

Thanks for that interesting observation, which I've noted in my manual. But I strongly suspect that just jumpering 12V to this pin would not serve to disable the WiFi lockout, because the app is just going to decide anyway, "I'm connected over WiFi, so the slides won't work, dim the icon."

Why would someone want to do this? It might be nice to be able to "fix stupid" remotely when you're away from the campground, the wind comes up, and you've left your awning out. But I agree it would be a bad idea to let it be extended, or to let the slide go either direction without line-of-sight supervision.

JRTJH
04-13-2020, 04:36 PM
The passcode on the phone, yes; on the app, no. If you can refer me to this, I'd be surprised. To the best of my knowledge (and I have looked (https://www.keystoneforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=280096#post280096)) there is no facility to disable the passcode on the app. There is a facility to clear the passcode on the interior screen (https://in-command.net/faqs/), but the very next thing that happens is it reboots and demands you establish a new passcode. Best you can do is set the passcode timer "off" so you enter it once and then it stays unlocked forever (or until 12V power dies).

Thanks for that interesting observation, which I've noted in my manual. But I strongly suspect that just jumpering 12V to this pin would not serve to disable the WiFi lockout, because the app is just going to decide anyway, "I'm connected over WiFi, so the slides won't work, dim the icon."

Why would someone want to do this? It might be nice to be able to "fix stupid" remotely when you're away from the campground, the wind comes up, and you've left your awning out. But I agree it would be a bad idea to let it be extended, or to let the slide go either direction without line-of-sight supervision.

Which is exactly why I commented that butt dialing can cause damage. Whether anyone wants to admit it or not, "hacks" to pass codes and "bypasses" to apps occur all the time in every line of electronic equipment...

If someone wants to believe "It'll never happen" I'm good with that. Just remember that when someone posts a "Keystone sucks because their system destroyed my slide" thread...… :whistling:

MarkEHansen
04-14-2020, 11:08 AM
@LHaven - I'm not at my trailer now, but I don't ever enter the passcode at the iN Command display module (the LCD inside the trailer). I don't remember what I did, but I think I disabled it (or set it to not time-out?).

To be clear, I can connect my battery to the RV, open the door and touch a button on the iN-Command screen and it wakes right up. I may have to deal with the travel lock, depending on the circumstances, but never the PIN code lock.

I don't think I've ever updated the firmware on my unit - so if you've updated your firmware, perhaps you've picked up a new "feature"?

firestation12
04-14-2020, 08:49 PM
The latest version of In Command system appears to be much better due to hard wired connection from DC... display commander to the BCM... control module..

However... there is still NO provision for manual override of the hydraulic slide outs and six point level up system...

This would have to be done as it is on non in command systems using cordless drill to turn pump motor and manually opening desired solenoid valves on slide out or levelers... really no way around this because the hyd pump has to spin and solenoid valves have to open.

Mine doesn’t have in command.. but I’d consider a new fifth wheel with latest global connect version..

Just points to consider.

My iN-Command system has a feature to manually extend and retract slides and awnings. Removing the main panel's cover exposes the manual feature.

LewisB
04-14-2020, 10:27 PM
My iN-Command system has a feature to manually extend and retract slides and awnings. Removing the main panel's cover exposes the manual feature.

Correct: there are at least 3 or 4 ways to operate slides and some other motorized features.
Using your phone or tablet through the iN.Command controller
Using the iN.Command controller inside your trailer
Removing the cover of the iN.Command junction/relay box (ours is in the pass-through storage area). There are a couple of dials that allow you to select the function and then a switch to operate the desired function. The wiring diagram is on the inside of the large cover you remove from the panel.
Using your electric drill with a flexible cable bit to rotate the individual slide system. Typical for cable slide motors and most hydraulic slide pumps I have owned. Also typical for our current Lippert Level-Up hydraulic system pump (read the Lippert instructions - there's a trick or two to this process).
I made a point to perform all of these functions as a part of my "getting to know" my rig. The only thing I have NOT done is figure a way to manually roll in an electric awning if the motorized system does not work.

Apalinto
04-15-2020, 03:36 PM
LewisB have you ever tried manually raising or lowering your landing gear? I have a Cougar 315RLS and the motors are in my front compartment with the batteries and spare. I too want to activate my slides manually with the flex cable.

LewisB
04-15-2020, 07:29 PM
LewisB have you ever tried manually raising or lowering your landing gear? I have a Cougar 315RLS and the motors are in my front compartment with the batteries and spare. I too want to activate my slides manually with the flex cable.

On our Raptor, the "landing gear" are actually the two forward of 6 Lippert hydraulic rams of the "Level UP" system. Yes, I have done these manually. There is a Lippert procedure that requires opening/closing the correct hydraulic valves at/near the pump. Then, you will need to access the end of the pump with a 1/4' hex drive and a good electric drill. In our case, the space on the end of the pump is very limited, so a 90 degree drive adaptor is also required. Something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HZWTLUK/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

On the slides, I have not completely closed these manually; I did not want to have to remove the wooden molding at the top of the slide hiding all the mechanisms. So I reached over the top of a "mostly in" slide, made sure I had the tools needed, and ran them in and out enough to insure I could complete the process in an emergency.

For either/both processes, you are going to want a really good battery powered drill motor (with extra batteries, maybe) or, as in our case, I started the generator and used a 110VAC drill motor. These take a lot of revolutions to get much in the way of movement.

Hope that helps.

Apalinto
04-15-2020, 09:53 PM
Thanks LewisB. I just picked up a Harbor Freight drill with extra batteries to keep in the rig.

GeekSquadOfUn
04-16-2020, 03:28 AM
Good question deserving its own discussion.... I'd love to know how it's done. I have same model, ours are electric...

ewbldavis
07-13-2020, 03:35 PM
Good question deserving its own discussion.... I'd love to know how it's done. I have same model, ours are electric...

I was sort of looking. I think there is a cover we can get to with a ratchet and socket to manually turn mechanism, sort of like my electric tongue jack on my TT.