PDA

View Full Version : New 3130RE

Blackhawk
12-03-2019, 09:01 AM
Purchased a new 3130RE from RV World in November. We have owned a Montana Mountaineer 2012 since 2012. I am disappointed in the quality of workmanship compared to the 2012. Cabinet finishes in the 3130 does not compare to the 2012. The shower in the 2012 was a corner shower with much more space than the 3130.
The engineer who designed the bedroom closet latching mechanism apparently did not think through the process of how to lock the door when the RV is moving. You have to craw through the first sliding door to get to the locking mechanism on the second door. I will have to relocate the locking mechanism to the outside of the door.
The shelves in the kitchen pantry are too flimsy. I had to re-enforce the shelves in order to store more than five or six cans of food.

All in all, I think the quality, engineering and QA&QC have decreased dramatically as compared to Keystones's earlier models.
Blackhawk

flybouy
12-03-2019, 09:32 AM
Purchased a new 3130RE from RV World in November. We have owned a Montana Mountaineer 2012 since 2012. I am disappointed in the quality of workmanship compared to the 2012. Cabinet finishes in the 3130 does not compare to the 2012. The shower in the 2012 was a corner shower with much more space than the 3130.
The engineer who designed the bedroom closet latching mechanism apparently did not think through the process of how to lock the door when the RV is moving. You have to craw through the first sliding door to get to the locking mechanism on the second door. I will have to relocate the locking mechanism to the outside of the door.
The shelves in the kitchen pantry are too flimsy. I had to re-enforce the shelves in order to store more than five or six cans of food.

All in all, I think the quality, engineering and QA&QC have decreased dramatically as compared to Keystones's earlier models.
Blackhawk

Not to be cynical but did you not know these things before purchasing? Did you buy the unit without walking thru it or an identical one? Or were you aware of these deficiencies and purchase the trailer despite these issues?

sourdough
12-03-2019, 10:30 AM

Blackhawk

I think your observation about quality is across the board and is one of the issues we have had trying to find a "better" replacement trailer than the one we have.

The woodwork, drawer and shelf bottoms along with the general interior construction of our current trailer hasn't been surpassed by anything we've looked at (haven't looked at anything over 120k or so). What has happened, it appears to me, is that everything has been made thinner and lighter. Heck, even the GD Solitude drawers and shelves had way more flex than any of mine. Like you said, I wouldn't want to put anything on them then drive down rough highways or I would have to rebuild the trailer. Looks like the goal across he spectrum is to keep cutting corners in weight to get it to the point a Prius can tow a 40' trailer....all while the doors, drawer, windows etc. fall out.