PDA

View Full Version : Battery use Slideouts

sherlosttraveler
12-01-2019, 04:55 PM
I have just bought a 2020 Keystone Montana and I was wondering if I take the batteries out for the winter. Am I okay to use the slide out still on just electric Shore power
The reason I ask is that I pulled the batteries out to store for the winter and I went to use the slide outs and it wouldn't work but then I turned the key back to on and then they would work on Shore power but am I supposed to use it that way

ADQ K9
12-01-2019, 06:24 PM
Never tried to use the slides on shore power without the batteries. I pull batteries and leave them on a 1.5 amp trickle charger in the garage for the winter.
I know that my slides are connected by a circut breaker to the batteries they are hot even when I turn off the battery switch,in theory that means on shore power the converter will be suplying 12 volt power. so I dont think there would be a problem.

ChuckS
12-01-2019, 06:40 PM
I’m assuming your Montana has hydraulic side outs. The amount of current the hyd pump motor draws is taxing your converter that supplies 12 Vdc to your dift( wheel ... in other words your stressing the guts out of it..

If it were mine Id only operate the hydraulic slide outs with at least one battery installed

sherlosttraveler
12-02-2019, 07:31 AM
No I have a high country with electric cable slides.
I have my batteries trickle charging in garage.

ChuckS
12-02-2019, 08:14 AM
The electric slide out motors draw a lot of DC current as well... really not good at all for the converter or those electric motors trying to just use shore power with no battery installed. Just a bad idea

sherlosttraveler
12-02-2019, 08:40 AM
Ok thank you Chuck
That's exactly what I needed to know.

sherlosttraveler
12-02-2019, 08:41 AM
Ok thank you Chuck
That's exactly what I needed to know.