PDA

View Full Version : No Power at all?

Skippy38
11-30-2019, 02:14 PM
Ok so I need a new battery in my 5th wheel. If I remove the battery and disconnect from shore power so there is no power to the coach at all, do I have any problems? Will I harm anything? Thanks for your kind responses...

sourdough
11-30-2019, 03:13 PM
No problems. Turn off shore power THEN disconnect the battery (singular per your reference). Be careful how you reconnect them; don't reverse them and blow any fuses. Should be a piece of cake. I would recommend checking the fluid level either before you install them or after (before would probably be easier). I've had a new battery handed to me, installed it then found all the cells needed water. Disconnecting the power and battery should harm nothing but you might have to reset a clock or 2.

FlyingAroundRV
11-30-2019, 09:54 PM
^^^ What Danny said. We do this every time we put our rig in storage. Haven't had any issues ... yet.

wiredgeorge
12-01-2019, 06:44 AM
If this is a 5th wheel, before changing the battery, extend the front legs as far as possible. The battery will weigh close to 50 lbs and hunched over trying to install isn't much fun. Just changed my battery and forgot to lift the front and had to work stopped over quite a bit. No bueno.

Skippy38
12-01-2019, 08:23 AM
Thanks! I did disconnect the shore power FIRST, then removed the battery. I plan to upgrade the battery and did not know if a prolonged lack of ANY power would be detrimental to the converter, etc.

chuckster57
12-01-2019, 08:29 AM
I plan to upgrade the battery and did not know if a prolonged lack of ANY power would be detrimental to the converter, etc.

No harm at all, Think about how long a unit sits on the sales lot without any power attached to it.