PDA

View Full Version : Slide seals

packrat1969
11-25-2019, 12:40 PM
I have a 2017 Passport GT with torn slide side seals. I thought I was being careful with them, because I’ve lubed them several times the past two years I’ve owned the camper. While putting the camper away this fall, I noticed that both vertical seals had split at the point where they fold when the slide is extended or retracted.

I’m currently looking for a source for replacement parts. I already spoke with my dealer, and their parts person says that they’ve never seen that type of slide seal before. How is that possible? The entire seal is a black rubber ribbon about an inch and a half wide, and maybe 3/32 thick. On the edge opposite the wiper portion, there is a hard plastic insert molded into the ribbon that slips into an the extruded aluminum channel that frames the slide opening. I’m looking for about 12’ of this material. That fills the 6’ gap on each side of my dinette slide.

I’ve included some pictures, that I hope will make the description above a little more clear.

sourdough
11-25-2019, 01:16 PM
You might try trekwood.com to see what they have or these guys;
https://www.steelerubber.com/slide-outs

linux3
11-25-2019, 02:35 PM
Do a search on this forum. What is the number 1 problem? Slide outs.
When we bought our TT I totally did not want any kind of slide out and our 2016 TT has been a joy.
The concept is good but the reality is most TT makers just don't care about quality.
I'm sorry to all the people that have problems but did you ever wonder why Airstream, Oliver and many other high end TT manufacturers don't have slide outs.

sourdough
11-25-2019, 02:48 PM
Do a search on this forum. What is the number 1 problem? Slide outs.
When we bought our TT I totally did not want any kind of slide out and our 2016 TT has been a joy.
The concept is good but the reality is most TT makers just don't care about quality.
I'm sorry to all the people that have problems but did you ever wonder why Airstream, Oliver and many other high end TT manufacturers don't have slide outs.

You also have to note that all of them are "niche" manufacturers (yes, even Airstream when compared to mainstream RVs). Slides come with some issues but the benefits FAR outweigh any problems in my experience. As I tell any dealer when I'm looking for a new RV...."3 slides minimum". Spent my last day in a trailer with zero slides that I own. To each his own; we all have different priorities.

nied
11-25-2019, 02:55 PM
Try AP Products

oldmxer95
10-02-2020, 02:35 PM
Packrat1969,

I am experiencing the same issue with my 2018 Passport Ultralite Grand Touring. Were you able to find these slide out seals?

Oldmxer95

nied
10-03-2020, 03:45 AM
Original photo looks a lot like the seals on my Bullet. Mine are BAL Seal - Wiper - Clip On - Slideout - Black - #R854056 - Norco. Purchased replacement seals from TIARA.

wiredgeorge
10-03-2020, 04:45 AM
Packrat1969,

I am experiencing the same issue with my 2018 Passport Ultralite Grand Touring. Were you able to find these slide out seals?

Oldmxer95

Welcome to the forum. When you do a search and find a thread that might hold some help and ask the original poster a question, click on their user name and in this case the OP hasn't been on the forum since March so unlikely to get a response from that person. Start a new thread since this one didn't really have a follow up by the OP. Fortunately you did seem to get a helpful answer. In the future, it might help answer questions if you added a signature with your camper's year, make and model as well as the same for your tow vehicle as it puts questions into context. Good luck!

packrat1969
10-04-2020, 05:10 AM
Gentlemen,

At the end of the 2019 camping season, I realized I was going to need new slide seals for my 2017 Passport. I contacted the OEM slide supplier for Keystone, BAL, and after several delayed conversations with their support staff, it was obvious they had no interest in assisting me in my search for a replacement seals. I finally tracked down an aftermarket supplier of the BAL product, who also dropped the ball at least twice, in helping me select and acquire the proper seal.
Weeks went by, and I found and contacted Steele Rubber Products regarding my deteriorating slide seals. At the time, they didn’t have a direct replacement product, but after receiving multiple requests from end-users such as myself, they decided to create one. I participated in their product testing and by mid summer of this year they had developed the following product:

https://rv.steelerubber.com/accu-slide-70-4184-265

It did take some time, but by the end of August this year I was able to replace the (4) vertical slide seals in my 2017 Passport with this product. So far, it appears to be fulfilling its purpose, however, as my camping season is pretty much done for 2020, I’ll have to wait till next year to provide more feedback regarding its suitability and durability.

As for my sig. I don't know why it was ever turned off...

flybouy
10-04-2020, 06:11 AM
Look forward to reading more next season.

Canonman
10-04-2020, 06:14 AM
Packrat
Wished I had seen your post earlier. I did receive help from BAL customer support. They can't sell direct but Michelle referred me with a part number, to Colaw RV who verified the number and ordered the seals for us.
I would rather have ordered the improved design from Steele Rubber. After reviewing their design improvements I believe they have the superior replacement.
Thanks you for your post and perseverance!

TheKlausage
11-16-2020, 01:14 PM
Hi packrat1969, thanks for the info.

Were you able to just pry out the existing seal from the track, or did you need to remove the track to be able to slide the seal out?

packrat1969
11-17-2020, 07:00 AM
Greetings,
When I removed the existing slide seal rubber, I found that BAL or Keystone had crimped the top and the bottom of the extruded aluminum track. I assume, to hold the rubber in place. I had to straighten each end a with a screwdriver before I could slide the rubber seal out. Unfortunately, none of the seals came out in one piece.
When I went to install the Steele replacement seal, the barbs on the new rubber would not slide down the channel in the extruded track. I ended up pushing them straight in, all the way down. Four times, 6 feet for each seal. It’s time consuming and I ended up with a sore thumb, but it did work.

TheKlausage
11-19-2020, 08:30 AM
Good to know. I cant actually slide the seals out on mine as the channel is recessed into the slide opening. I did find yesterday that I can just pry it out, and knowing that you were able to just press the new one in helps a lot. I thought I was going to have to figure out how to remove the whole channel in the opening.

This winter I am going to order the new version you helped develop. It looks like a great upgrade. I can believe the original ones came apart on my TT in less than 3 years.

Big thanks to you packrat1969!!!

packrat1969
11-19-2020, 11:13 AM
Well, I’m glad I could help, though I cannot really claim much credit in actually developing the new slide seals. I just provided some “in the field” feedback to Steele regarding the various prototypes’ fit, function, and construction.

I do share your concerns regarding the fragility of the original seals. Three and a half years before destroying themselves along the fold line is an abysmal track record for a factory-installed seal. Keystone seemed completely uninterested in the issue, and BAL does not want to deal with the end user.
Yeah, I know. First world problems....