PDA

View Full Version : Surge Protectors

crowbar
11-25-2019, 12:01 PM
Most of my camping is simply "dry" camping but for the odd time I want to plug in to services, I thought I should get a surge protector. So I bought a 50 amp surge protector. My question is - will this device be effective when plugged into a 30 amp service using the necessary adapters? Or do I need a separate 30 amp surge protector?

Logan X
11-25-2019, 02:39 PM
Yes, your 50 amp surge protector will also protect you at 30 amps. Did you get a surge protector or an Electrical Management System (EMS).

The EMS will not only protect from a surge, it will protect for high and low voltage, high and low frequency, open ground, and reverse polarity.

From what I’ve heard, low voltage and reverse polarity are more frequent problems than a surge.

crowbar
11-25-2019, 03:03 PM
Thanks Mike. I'm not sure what I've got. It's in my trailer right now which is in bed for the winter. I'm warming up in Palm Springs. The gadget I have, I bought off Amazon and I believe it's a Camco product. You plug it in and it has a bunch of lights on the front panel. That's all I can remember right now. I just recall that the last place we plugged in last summer was only 30A and didn't have the right (dogleg?) adapter for it but now I do.

sourdough
11-25-2019, 03:19 PM
When you have a chance check the Camco out to make sure what it is. A plain surge protector will not protect you from the majority of faults you can run across in a park or elsewhere.

Logan X
11-25-2019, 04:44 PM
Thanks Mike. I'm not sure what I've got. It's in my trailer right now which is in bed for the winter. I'm warming up in Palm Springs. The gadget I have, I bought off Amazon and I believe it's a Camco product. You plug it in and it has a bunch of lights on the front panel. That's all I can remember right now. I just recall that the last place we plugged in last summer was only 30A and didn't have the right (dogleg?) adapter for it but now I do.

“Dog bone” I believe is the term you are looking for. Good luck and happy camping!