PDA

View Full Version : Just putting this out there

ctbruce
11-25-2019, 11:50 AM
Thought I'd add this to stir the pot a little.24454

Northofu1
11-25-2019, 11:56 AM
Sure, They pick the lightest truck on the market :lol:
It does look like a longer wheelbase than the Ford. I don't know about payload and distance between charging. I like the DeLorean features.:whistling:

JRTJH
11-25-2019, 12:04 PM
Yeah, but they're both aluminum, so can't drop tool boxes into either bed.....

ctbruce
11-25-2019, 12:14 PM
Yeah, but they're both aluminum, so can't drop tool boxes into either bed.....Cant throw steel balls at the windshield either...

Ken / Claudia
11-25-2019, 12:34 PM
I seen that test and another photo of that truck with a motorcycle in the bed. Not sure what the bike was, but the truck appeared overloaded by the rear end squat.

sourdough
11-25-2019, 01:06 PM
https://futurism.com/the-byte/cybertruck-pull-ford-f-150-uphill

I just got a pic on the initial post; trying to see if this one has the video (little box on the left a ways down).

We get to see it pull a lightweight 4x2 (no locking diff) with what I'm sure is a full 4 wheel drive with huge tires about 50'. What we didn't see was the inverted, pulled out rear bumper from the bent aluminum frame as it drove over the hill to plug into the nearest power substation....which probably caused that brownout in S Cal last week....:):):)

Logan X
11-25-2019, 03:09 PM
Maybe a little off topic, but in California you can plug your electric car in “for free” at state buildings.

With all of the emissions controls on diesel trucks, I thought maybe they would start giving out free diesel too?

66joej
11-25-2019, 05:24 PM
Yeah, but they're both aluminum, so can't drop tool boxes into either bed.....

You will never see me driving one but I believe the body is supposed to be stainless. :nonono:

travelin texans
11-25-2019, 07:23 PM
Must not be the max tow F150 with the 3.5 Eco Boost or it would pull that Tesla apart & not break a sweat!!!! (Tongue in cheek)

B-O-B'03
11-25-2019, 07:25 PM
Sure, They pick the lightest truck on the market :lol:
It does look like a longer wheelbase than the Ford. I don't know about payload and distance between charging. I like the DeLorean features.:whistling:

Did Elon draw that thing when he was 8 or something?

The ugly is strong with that one and I am sure they were using the 3 motor version against that F150.

Maybe a little off topic, but in California you can plug your electric car in “for free” at state buildings.

With all of the emissions controls on diesel trucks, I thought maybe they would start giving out free diesel too?

Many places have "free" charging stations for EVs, not just in CA... Guess where the free comes from?

You will never see me driving one but I believe the body is supposed to be stainless. :nonono:

Amen! that thing is ugly beyond belief, the low end version is stated to have a 250 mile range, but I doubt that would be true pulling our trailer and would surely take a lot longer to "fill up" than our F150.

Hard pass.

-Brian

ADQ K9
11-25-2019, 08:20 PM
An apples to apples tug of war might produce different results when the Electric F150 comes out.
Possibly targeted because it is the best selling truck in the US :popcorn:

flybouy
11-25-2019, 08:30 PM
"Back to the Future" meets "Not in my Future". JMHO

Logan X
11-25-2019, 08:54 PM
Many places have "free" charging stations for EVs, not just in CA...

Yes sir, I am well aware of where the “free” comes from. I was not saying it was a good thing. Some people forget the electricity in those charging stations is probably the result of some fossil fuels anyways.

B-O-B'03
11-25-2019, 10:25 PM
Yes sir, I am well aware of where the “free” comes from. I was not saying it was a good thing. Some people forget the electricity in those charging stations is probably the result of some fossil fuels anyways.

Like so?

https://www.keystoneforums.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=799&pictureid=6710

-Brian

Northofu1
11-25-2019, 11:29 PM
Possibly targeted because it is the best selling truck in the US
Not if you couple GM and Chev numbers.
Ok I lied, after checking, Ford sells more trucks than anyone. :hide:

Fishsizzle
11-26-2019, 03:28 AM
2wd Ford vs AWD

These “tug of wars” are never apples to apples. You tube is littered with these videos.

Fords eating Dodges and vise Versa

Logan X
11-26-2019, 06:34 AM
Like so?

-Brian

That’s hilarious!

Laredo Tugger
11-26-2019, 08:26 AM
Like so?

-Brian

Hush there "deplorable". You're not supposed to be smart enough to figure this out. Never mind that noise in the sky,that's one of the "elite" leaving their carbon footprint with their private jet. It's OK for them, not you. Just plan on giving up all of your combustion engines before the world ends in 12 years. Oh yeah,throw all of your assault rifles in the trunk as well. You're not smart enough to have those either. Hmmm........
RMc

hankpage
11-26-2019, 09:07 AM
The low end torque of an electric motor cannot be matched by a gas or diesel engine. Not to mention separate motors mounted close to each driven wheel reduces the loss of power transferred to the ground.

Now, back to the real world... The electric power needed to maintain that torque pulling a real load up an incline for a considerable distance would in my opinion require a very long extension cord.

I don't see our oil burners being replaced in the near future unless payload is increased to allow for larger batteries of better designs. Diesel/electric hybrids similar to current trains and buses makes much more sense to me. http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=251&pictureid=1587 JM2˘, Hank

mwemaxxowner
11-26-2019, 09:14 AM
Yeah, but they're both aluminum, so can't drop tool boxes into either bed.....I do it all the time.

Justvisiting2day
11-26-2019, 09:50 AM
Steam tractors will out pull any thing made for coal oil burners. OR electric dippers.

B-O-B'03
11-26-2019, 10:17 AM
This electric truck seems a little more well thought out and a lot less pinewood derbyish

Rivian Link (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XA6P0snL3hE)

-Brian

sourdough
11-26-2019, 11:38 AM
And here's a little follow up to the original post.....and the suspense continues!!

https://www.foxnews.com/auto/ford-no-tesla-cybertruck-tug-of-war-rematch

LHaven
11-26-2019, 01:41 PM
And here's a little follow up to the original post.....and the suspense continues!!

https://www.foxnews.com/auto/ford-no-tesla-cybertruck-tug-of-war-rematch

Yeah, that was my first thought as well... the Tesla tires don't spin due to the half ton of battery over each wheel... :rofl:

(Yes, I'm probably exaggerating, but still.)

JRTJH
11-26-2019, 02:17 PM
Yeah, that was my first thought as well... the Tesla tires don't spin due to the half ton of battery over each wheel... :rofl:

(Yes, I'm probably exaggerating, but still.)

Maybe an exaggeration, maybe not, but the tires on the Tesla are significantly bigger and there's 4 of them being driven by independent electric motors. With the torque control driving the motors, there's a helluva lot better traction management than in a 4x2 F150 with a "stock one wheel drive" axle and street tires and we're not sure which "EcoBoost" it might have in it.

That would be the kind of contest I could envision any of the "big 3" doing in jest to "prove their new off road model truck is significantly better than a YUGO.... From what I see between the two trucks in that "pull test" it's matched up closer to a "Hummer/YUGO" test than it is to a "equal or nearly so" truck matchup.....

mwemaxxowner
11-26-2019, 04:23 PM
I think it's also worth noting that these tug of war tests don't prove much of didley squat in relation to how well it will serve us as a truck.

ctbruce
11-26-2019, 04:48 PM
So...Tesla is trying for the tow truck market? Seems like an awfully small market.

sourdough
11-26-2019, 05:02 PM
So...Tesla is trying for the tow truck market? Seems like an awfully small market.

Especially for an electric powered "truck" :lol:. I can see strapping a 15k trailer on the back of that thing; first the rear end hits the ground, but if, IF they ever got that fixed I can only imagine hitting the road, batteries go dead in 5 miles, the trailing vehicle has to arrive then pull out the old Honda gas powered portable generator to "charge you up" then hit it again in the morning......for the next 5 miles. Yep....an AWFULLY small market. :lol::lol:

Laredo Tugger
11-26-2019, 05:13 PM
Especially for an electric powered "truck" :lol:. I can see strapping a 15k trailer on the back of that thing; first the rear end hits the ground, but if, IF they ever got that fixed I can only imagine hitting the road, batteries go dead in 5 miles, the trailing vehicle has to arrive then pull out the old Honda gas powered portable generator to "charge you up" then hit it again in the morning......for the next 5 miles. Yep....an AWFULLY small market. :lol::lol:

And an AWFULLY long trip, to ....anywhere!
Maybe someday we will laugh at ourselves over this, but until that day I will continue on fossil fuels.
RMc

hankpage
11-26-2019, 08:46 PM
Just think about the plus side. You could pull into a campsite late at night and leave early in the morning and your neighbors would never know you were there. Stealth camping. ( Until that follow vehicle with the Honda generator shows up, or Mama yells at you while backing in with those little mirrors. )

Fishsizzle
11-27-2019, 06:23 AM
LEGO today decided that they could help Tesla make the truck look better

wiredgeorge
11-27-2019, 10:21 AM
Wonder if you can put a gooseneck in that electro-mobile truck thing? Kind of amuses that the folks who think electric is a green tech never wonder where the electric comes from... Maybe its all solar or wind power? Right.

Northofu1
11-27-2019, 10:37 AM
This electric truck seems a little more well thought out and a lot less pinewood derbyish

Rivian Link (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XA6P0snL3hE)

-Brian

I like the look of that truck. Maybe if I win a lottery, right after I buy a
1968 Mustang KR500 Fastback.

sourdough
11-27-2019, 01:01 PM
Wonder if you can put a gooseneck in that electro-mobile truck thing? Kind of amuses that the folks who think electric is a green tech never wonder where the electric comes from... Maybe its all solar or wind power? Right.

Let's hope we never get there!! I live where the countryside is covered with wind turbines. I don't see a good thing about them. They have to be subsidized or they are too expensive to build or use. Every turbine is bought outside the US (per an engineer speaking to us a few years back), contains toxic chemicals, kills birds etc. etc. etc. Not to mention they are a huge blight on the land.

Now, as we speak, they are converting hundreds and hundreds of acres into "solar farms" in our neck of the woods. We have a couple currently but not over a hundred acres or so each. They are extremely ugly and remove any possible use of the land. Again, they are not feasible to use unless highly subsidized (that means you and me). I was just reading recently that they now are wondering what to do with them when they age out (doesn't take long) because they now understand that the panels are toxic and you can't just "dispose" of them. They are thinking about classifying them as toxic waste.:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: Where's a good nuclear power plant when you need one?:D

Edit: Sorry, a little off topic but an electric truck has to get power from somewhere right?

notanlines
11-27-2019, 04:09 PM
Danny, it just plugs in. No fuel, no oil, no propane or contaminents involved. The electricity is just there, simple as that. It’s magic. ��

sourdough
11-27-2019, 05:26 PM
Danny, it just plugs in. No fuel, no oil, no propane or contaminents involved. The electricity is just there, simple as that. It’s magic. ��

THANKS Jim!! Sometimes I get down in the weeds a little; I forgot it's just so simple....:lol::lol:

flybouy
11-27-2019, 05:39 PM
This newfangled electric stuff is just wizardry I tell you.

travelin texans
11-27-2019, 06:48 PM
If I run out of gas or diesel I can get a few gallons to get to a station, if your electric thing goes dead I don't anyone with 25 to xx miles of extension cord that wants to sit for several hours til it's charged enough to get to a power source.
Besides being 3rd generation retired oilfield I'll stick with fossil fuels.

wiredgeorge
11-27-2019, 07:15 PM
Let's hope we never get there!! I live where the countryside is covered with wind turbines. I don't see a good thing about them. They have to be subsidized or they are too expensive to build or use. Every turbine is bought outside the US (per an engineer speaking to us a few years back), contains toxic chemicals, kills birds etc. etc. etc. Not to mention they are a huge blight on the land.

Now, as we speak, they are converting hundreds and hundreds of acres into "solar farms" in our neck of the woods. We have a couple currently but not over a hundred acres or so each. They are extremely ugly and remove any possible use of the land. Again, they are not feasible to use unless highly subsidized (that means you and me). I was just reading recently that they now are wondering what to do with them when they age out (doesn't take long) because they now understand that the panels are toxic and you can't just "dispose" of them. They are thinking about classifying them as toxic waste.:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: Where's a good nuclear power plant when you need one?:D

Edit: Sorry, a little off topic but an electric truck has to get power from somewhere right?

I think the big ol windmills kind of dress up the bland scenery out there in West Texas! And toxic waste from those panels? Super glue 'em together, take 'em down to the border and set them up as fence. GO GREEN!

I honestly don't get this electric car (truck) thing. The electricity comes MOSTLY from fossil fuels burning smog into the atmosphere.

https://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.php?id=427&t=3

Fishsizzle
11-27-2019, 10:04 PM

Just like all the lithium, cobalt etc that makes the batteries in them and all the fancy cell phones. It all falls from the sky!

Never mind that it takes lots of fossil fuels to extract precious metals from the earth. And the toxins created to refine them.

This video always makes me smile

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=F04MXepYiBs

Northofu1
11-28-2019, 03:42 AM

When you're tapping the energy from Niagara Falls, it is just right there. :lol:

All kidding aside, people are trying to figure out new avenues of energy and mass transportation, the only other alternative isn't so nice.