PDA

View Full Version : Lost in hitch-lation

johnsoa2
11-21-2019, 04:37 PM
Good evening,
We are moving up to to a 5th wheel - Cougar 25RES. We upgraded the truck this week (because of course we were told our 1500 could pull it...). We got a GMC Sierra2500 HD, 6.5" bed. I've been pouring through the forums on hitches and think I may be more confused than when I started researching.
We like the idea of the Anderson due to it's low weight and ease to remove it. However, we have a rolling Tonneau cover, and I am also now concerned about chucking (which I just learned about!)
Any suggestions on a good hitch set up? Do I need to upgrade the Pin box since the Cougar's advertise max turning radius and the Road Armour suspension?

jsb5717
11-21-2019, 05:29 PM
There's no chucking with the Andersen hitch. Very smooth and quiet. There are other hitches that will also eliminate chucking. The tighter the hitch and the tighter the pin connection, the less chucking. The Pullrite 2400/2600 are also good choices.

My Andersen hitch rides nicely under my tonneau when not towing.

There are many many threads and discussions on the "best" hitch. Some will recommend an auto sliding hitch to avoid hitting the back of your cab with the trailer due to your short bed TV. It's actually a good, safe choice but very heavy for moving in and out of your truck. Others will tell you you don't need a sliding hitch. I don't have any clearance issues with my set up either. With a short bed truck you just get into the habit of paying attention to your tolerances. There will also be a variable depending on the nose shape of your specific 5er.

There are tons of opinions and tons of options so the final choice will, of course, be yours. You really can't go wrong with most of the available name-brand hitches. They will all get you down the road safely but some will be smoother and quieter than others. Just pick one that suits you best for how you want to use your truck.

Also, welcome aboard. Smart move upgrading the TV. Safe travels!

Canonman
11-21-2019, 06:35 PM
24430Our Ram 2500 is a short box with Trifold cover. We use the Anderson. Very solid, no chucking and no clearance issues at all with our Cougar. Once we unhitch I simply unfold the cover. The hitch ball is below the rail height of the Ram so no issues there. The ease of removing the Anderson and being able to do it without help is a big deal around here. I also find it very easy to hitch and unhitch the Cougar by myself as well. IMHO you'd be very happy with that set up.

5J's
11-21-2019, 08:01 PM
I've got the Goose Box here. I love it no need to mess with the hitch, just flip the ball over and you've got your whole bed for whatever.

kksfish
11-22-2019, 03:14 AM
I’ve got the Anderson Hitch on my 5er and have had no turning issues ......I also have a Truxedo soft cover and it works fine with the hitch in place. Gotta say I am very happy with the set-up!

Roscommon48
11-22-2019, 05:50 AM
it'll work with what you have. just try it and you'll decide what you need/want as time goes on.
get going out there

comfun1
11-22-2019, 07:52 AM
I have the same truck as the OP a 2500HD 6.5' bed and use the Andersen hitch also. A question for the rest of you with the Andersen, do you use safety chains?

tech740
11-22-2019, 07:55 AM
I have the same truck as the OP a 2500HD 6.5' bed and use the Andersen hitch also. A question for the rest of you with the Andersen, do you use safety chains?

Yup. Sure do. I have a 2019 Ram 3500 short bed with the Anderson. Love the setup. The only other thing I would consider is a goosebox.

travelin texans
11-22-2019, 08:56 AM
My choice would be the goosebox.
Or the B&W Companion hitch.

flybouy
11-22-2019, 08:59 AM
Good evening,
We are moving up to to a 5th wheel - Cougar 25RES. We upgraded the truck this week (because of course we were told our 1500 could pull it...). We got a GMC Sierra2500 HD, 6.5" bed. I've been pouring through the forums on hitches and think I may be more confused than when I started researching.
We like the idea of the Anderson due to it's low weight and ease to remove it. However, we have a rolling Tonneau cover, and I am also now concerned about chucking (which I just learned about!)
Any suggestions on a good hitch set up? Do I need to upgrade the Pin box since the Cougar's advertise max turning radius and the Road Armour suspension?

Can't help you with the hitch recommendation but just want to welcome you to "the weight police". :)

Benbill
11-22-2019, 09:39 AM
I can relate to your frustrations. I am new into RV camping and had to upgrade my F150 to an F350 with a 6.5” bed in order to pull our Montana fifth wheel, and we are using the Pullrite Super Slide 2900 with great results. It has proven to be easy to connect and disconnect and the sliding mechanism works as advertised. I am not experiencing any clunking with acceleration or breaking. I do not have any knowledge about the weight difference between the 2900 and the Anderson hitch, but we are happy campers with our set up.

tech740
11-22-2019, 10:44 AM
I can relate to your frustrations. I am new into RV camping and had to upgrade my F150 to an F350 with a 6.5” bed in order to pull our Montana fifth wheel, and we are using the Pullrite Super Slide 2900 with great results. It has proven to be easy to connect and disconnect and the sliding mechanism works as advertised. I am not experiencing any clunking with acceleration or breaking. I do not have any knowledge about the weight difference between the 2900 and the Anderson hitch, but we are happy campers with our set up.

The aluminum Andersen is 35lbs and rated for 24K. The old steel Andersen is 70lbs and rated for 24K.

gearhead
11-22-2019, 05:04 PM
I have a PullRite 2600 single point (on a gooseneck ball). I'm very happy with it. I prefer the steel, the supports under the feet, and the locking mechanism.
For those with a Goosebox, how hard is it too see the ball and get the Goosebox on it?

5J's
11-22-2019, 06:08 PM
Gearhead that all depends in your set up. Single cab, Super cab or crew cab, tool box or not etc.... I have a crew cab with no tool box and can stretch to look through the back window to hook up with no problems. My 5er also had a reflective mirror type material just above the pin box on the nose that allows me to watch the ball disappear under the Goosebox. I personally live this set up.

TNVJones
11-23-2019, 03:55 AM
Welcome. I tow with a F-250 with the 6'9" box. I have the Andersen and have no issues with the trifold cover. I have never experienced chucking in over 20k miles towing. Is the pin box a turning point or Reece Revolution? (Not sure what the advertised max turning radius is) If so you will need to lock the rotation of the pin box if you go with the Andersen.

gearhead
11-23-2019, 04:05 PM
Gearhead that all depends in your set up. Single cab, Super cab or crew cab, tool box or not etc.... I have a crew cab with no tool box and can stretch to look through the back window to hook up with no problems. My 5er also had a reflective mirror type material just above the pin box on the nose that allows me to watch the ball disappear under the Goosebox. I personally live this set up.
Thanks! I ordered my truck. Which box did I fail to check? Cargo camera! I can line up pretty good using the rear seat center head rest but have to stop and look for depth.

sourdough
11-23-2019, 04:41 PM
Thanks! I ordered my truck. Which box did I fail to check? Cargo camera! I can line up pretty good using the rear seat center head rest but have to stop and look for depth.

The cargo camera in mine us totally useless unless I need to see what is in the bed only...but I have a bed cover. More importantly, to me, it puts the rear camera into the rear view mirror making it almost useless whereas it used to be in the big 8.4 Uconnect screen. In the case of connecting a 5th wheel, I'm thinking the bed camera would be invaluable.

johnsoa2
11-23-2019, 09:25 PM
Thank you for your input!

johnsoa2
11-23-2019, 09:28 PM
Thank you! We went with the B&W; as much as we were intrigued by the Anderson, the B&W seems to be the best fit with the factory installed package on our truck. I am so impressed by all the input and helpful advice!

+Ruff Rider
11-24-2019, 05:54 AM
Thank you! We went with the B&W; as much as we were intrigued by the Anderson, the B&W seems to be the best fit with the factory installed package on our truck. I am so impressed by all the input and helpful advice!

Good choice. I have the same hitch and just love it. I also still have the stock pin box without all those air bags or spring setups. I have no issues so I saved some $$$. I have towed around 35,000 miles with it and trailer tows just fine. Hope you enjoy your new truck!!!

5J's
11-24-2019, 06:48 AM
Thanks! I ordered my truck. Which box did I fail to check? Cargo camera! I can line up pretty good using the rear seat center head rest but have to stop and look for depth.It doesn't take long to get used to judging that distance. In mine I can see the hitch and ball out the back window but that will be a challenge with a folding bed cover. I'd be curious to see how well a camera would work at that angle. BigTruckBigRV has a good video on an additional camera.

https://youtu.be/OtwfBStzX5s

gearhead
11-24-2019, 04:55 PM
Maybe I just need to raise my seat up when I'm hitching.

+Ruff Rider
11-25-2019, 07:51 AM
I can see my hitch in the rear view mirror Hit the hitch every time. Most of the time its centered perfect.

pdaniel
11-28-2019, 08:31 AM
Good evening,
I made the move from a TT to a fifth wheel this past spring. I am towing a Solitude 310GK with a Ram 3500 SRW short-box using the Andersen. I also have a trifold cover.
The only “chucking” I have experience was due to uneven concrete highway pavement and that is something all of us has experienced.
I like the fact I can remove the Andersen without the need of friends or a overhead hoist and with the lower weight it gives me more cargo capacity.
So, basically it is what you desire-a traditional hitch, a goosebox or the Andersen.

owen4it
11-28-2019, 09:37 AM
I’ve got a Reese 16000 slide and it fits under the tonneau cover. I’ve had this hitch since 2003 and it’s still going strong! I’ve used the slide in it maybe a handful of times just to see if it worked playing around. Easy to use comes apart in two pieces so you can lift it and you can hitch up at a ninety degree angle if you need to! IMO you don’t want an auto slide because most limit you to hitching straight on only. I’ve towed three 5 th wheels with it currently I have a 27RKS Xlite and no issues!

skmct
11-28-2019, 09:38 AM
You will love your B&W. We have towed ours across the country twice hooked and unhooked hundreds of times the tilting saddle is great in all situations. We also have the gm 6.5 ft bed. The pin can be located in three positions if you are having cap clearance issues. It can be move 2" fore or aft of the center witch is centered with the truck axle. What I like is it can be taken out of the truck in two pieces which makes it easer to handle. Good luck and enjoy.

Spletbr
11-28-2019, 11:02 AM
24430Our Ram 2500 is a short box with Trifold cover. We use the Anderson. Very solid, no chucking and no clearance issues at all with our Cougar. Once we unhitch I simply unfold the cover. The hitch ball is below the rail height of the Ram so no issues there. The ease of removing the Anderson and being able to do it without help is a big deal around here. I also find it very easy to hitch and unhitch the Cougar by myself as well. IMHO you'd be very happy with that set up.
Nice set up, and nice camp site! What solar do you have, and what batteries, and does the solar do a good job or recharging the batteries? Happy thanksgiving! 🦃

RET.LEO
11-30-2019, 07:41 AM
With experience you will soon be able to nail backing into it watching your side view mirrors simply by seeing the position of the trailer in it.
Did it for years driving a cab over semi. No camera needed back then. Best practice though is to get out of the cab and look for yourself to make sure you're lined up...................you'll make yourself proud most days...........other days you'll be glad you got out to double check.
Also check visually after you are connected...............no surprises that way................anything mechanical is capable of failing.