PDA

View Full Version : Another Front Cap Question

LarryR
11-20-2019, 04:25 PM
I've read almost every thread regarding front cap fade issues. However, I didn't see something I was hoping to see. I've got a 2015 Bullet Premier with the dreaded cap fade. I bought it used so no warranty. I'm thinking of getting the cap "wrapped" and wondered if anyone else had done that. Got a buddy in the business and this seems more painless than sanding/painting. Anyone?

JRTJH
11-20-2019, 04:42 PM
I see that your location is Springfield, MO. I'd suspect that the UV exposure there is about average for most of the Midwest. That said, most "high grade" vinyl wraps are good for around 5-7 years in "average UV exposure" before they fade, crack and start needing a replacement. I haven't heard of many people who have done a "RV wrap" so there's not a lot of experience to suggest that it's a good or a bad idea.

If you've got a "buddy in the business" I'd get some "real world recommendations" from him and base your decision on what he says and how well you trust him.

As for this forum, I can't remember any comments regarding a vinyl wrap on the entire front of an RV. That's not to say it's never been done, just that it hasn't been posted with any frequency on this forum.

If you try it, let us know how it goes and keep us posted on how well it stands up to RVing.

sourdough
11-20-2019, 05:25 PM
I agree with John; I've not heard of anyone doing the wrap nor have I seen one. Plus, the wrap will age assuredly. Have you investigated having the cap completely refinished with paint and coats of clearcoat? Not really inexpensive but probably more durable than the wrap. I've not seen a wrap on an RV but I have on a truck; looks cool from "over there", not so "nice" up close. I have however had my front cap refinished/painted and topped with clearcoat. Still looks like day one 4-5 years later. Just a thought.