PDA

View Full Version : Winterizing black tank flush?

Kaptn Krabby
11-14-2019, 02:37 AM
This morning it suddenly dawned on me that nothing was put in the black tank flush lines when I pumped antifreeze through the rest of the plumbing. Does this line drain so that I wouldn't need to be concerned? How would one put antifreeze in the black tank flush lines? We have had some very cold temps here and I'm afraid any damage has already been done!

flybouy
11-14-2019, 04:53 AM
It should be fine. The anti siphon valve should be at a the "high point" above both ends which are open. It should self drain. I use compressed air and antifreeze when I winterize and I'll blow some air thru the tank rinser but that's just me being overly cautious.

Eastham
11-14-2019, 04:56 AM
I use a hand pump that you can attach to the hose fitting on the black tank flush. And put a few pumps of antifreeze from a gallon jug .I haven't had any problems doing it this way.

ChuckS
11-14-2019, 06:13 AM
Easiest is to just hook up air adapter to flush tank fitting and blow it out with air.. the plastic anti siphon valve is a known freeze point .. if water does stay in valve.. and they often do then the valve freezes and you won’t know you have a problem till next time you use it and it floods your bathroom

I don’t use the black tank flush on mine.. I use a clear coupler with its own gate valve and clean black tank and gray tanks

Canonman
11-14-2019, 06:19 AM
I agree with Marshall. A little compressed air through the flush port will insure there will be no problems this spring. This is what I use to blow out the fresh water lines as well as the black tank flush:https://www.amazon.com/Camco-36153-Brass-Blow-Plug/dp/B0006IX68O/ref=asc_df_B0006IX68O/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167142463812&hvpos=1o5&hvnetw=g&hvrand=10234514439579131979&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9029749&hvtargid=aud-798931705416:pla-273435320602&psc=1
Remember to use low pressure under 40lbs.

skids
11-14-2019, 06:27 AM
I don’t use the black tank flush on mine.. I use a clear coupler with its own gate valve and clean black tank and gray tanks

My Bullet is new (but a 2019) so the black tank has supposedly never been used. I did put air to it when winterizing. Is the black tank flush effective or is it a gimmick? Does it spray the sensors or does it spray straight across the floor to move gunk to the drain pipe?

Logan X
11-14-2019, 07:11 AM
My Bullet is new (but a 2019) so the black tank has supposedly never been used. I did put air to it when winterizing. Is the black tank flush effective or is it a gimmick? Does it spray the sensors or does it spray straight across the floor to move gunk to the drain pipe?

I wouldn’t say the black tank flush is a gimmick...it is one of several useful tools to keep the tank functioning properly. I only use it 3-4 times a year. I put a high quality waste tank treatment in the black tank once a week and that does a good job of keeping the odor down.

If I really want to clean the tank, I will fill it with fresh water and some dish soap before a trip. I’ll let that slosh around while I’m driving and then dump when I get to camp. I do that maybe once a year.

Here is a a good video demonstrating the various methods for flushing the tank and it shows exactly what the sprayers on the tank flush do.

https://youtu.be/dfTd0Slt_cU

And here is the tank treatment I use

https://www.amazon.com/Happy-Campers-Organic-Holding-Treatment/dp/B007S0LDME

travelin texans
11-14-2019, 07:12 AM

Mine have all done a good job of adding water to the tank, hard to tell how good of a job it does & no it doesn't spray directly on the sensors or else they might actually work. Don't count on the sensors telling you much about tank levels,but do have pretty red lights.
As for the clear coupler with the hose connection, if you have a 90 degree into any of the black/grey tanks your not getting much, if any, rinse into the tanks, great stinky slinky rinse though. BTDT!

Kaptn Krabby
11-14-2019, 07:16 AM
I've only used mine a few times this past summer. I flushed until the water coming out was relatively clear.....so based on that I'd say it does do a pretty good job. Whether the sensors are cleaned....who knows!

6.2 Superduty
11-15-2019, 02:36 PM
I forgot to winterize my black tank flush last year and had no problems. In the original posters case he should look inside when he uses it to see if it froze and broke.

larryflew
12-01-2019, 09:12 AM
Have never done antifreeze on the black rinse and no problems even with freezing Minnesota temps. Also recommend a half bottle of cheap dish washing detergent with partially full black tank and a couple hundred mile trip once and awhile.

sonofcy
12-01-2019, 09:34 AM
Easiest is to just hook up air adapter to flush tank fitting and blow it out with air.. the plastic anti siphon valve is a known freeze point .. if water does stay in valve.. and they often do then the valve freezes and you won’t know you have a problem till next time you use it and it floods your bathroom

A black tank flusher is INSIDE the tank, the clear coupler will not spray down the sides of the black tank. I use both but for entirely different purposes.

Bamabox
12-01-2019, 02:03 PM
I did the same thing. Forgot the black tank flush line. I use the water pump to do all the other lines with the diverter kit and anti freeze. So I say to the DW, all done. Doh!!!! Used the hand pump to do the black tank line and opened the black tank valve. Waited to see pink. Only took about a quart. Having said that, the previous 2 winters I know I did nothing to it, and no issues, so maybe it’s a non issue. We typically see 10 below at least once.

ADQ K9
12-01-2019, 02:27 PM
I have blown mine out and thats it. I use it every time I dump. I have yet to get a hand pump for the antifreeze, but that is probably cheap insurance to put some in there. I think it all depends on where and how the check valve is mounted.

Bamabox
12-01-2019, 02:34 PM
I have blown mine out and thats it. I use it every time I dump. I have yet to get a hand pump for the antifreeze, but that is probably cheap insurance to put some in there. I think it all depends on where and how the check valve is mounted.

If I’m at full hookups I do likewise. Alway use the bt flush line. It works. Dump stations are typically too busy and don’t have the proper hose connection.

ADQ K9
12-01-2019, 02:45 PM
Bammabox,
I find that a lot of dump stations have only a bare hose end for the rinse hose I invested in a Water Bandit to slide on the end of the hose.
https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Connects-Standard-Various-Sources/dp/B000EDOSKG
It is dedicated to the black tank flush, I have another for fresh water.

05Fatboy
12-02-2019, 04:47 AM
I connect my outside shower hose to the black tank flush and wait for the pink to come out.

chuckster57
12-02-2019, 05:39 AM
In a typical installation, the anti siphon valve is located at a “high” point, and once you remove the hose from the outside connection any liquid will simply drain off. The only issue I see is the valve itself. I would simply blow air or if readily accessible remove it.