PDA

View Full Version : Generator exhaust pipe clearance

Jameshecker
11-10-2019, 06:13 PM
I just bought a 2020 Montana High Country 331RL. Had a generator as an option and factory installed. Very worriried about the ground clearance and how far the exhaust is from the side of the rig. Does this look normal. 24329

JRTJH
11-10-2019, 06:19 PM
Unless it's the camera angle, it looks like there's about 18" of exhaust pipe extending beyond the vertical wall of the trailer??? If that's so, then far too much and it should have been installed differently.

That said, I'm not sure I'd take it back to the dealership without a "clear and exact set of instructions"... If you complain that, "It's too long and needs to be cut" you may find that someone cuts it off 3" under the trailer (a definite safety hazard)... So you're better off with it "too long" than "too short"....

You can download the Onan installation manual here: https://www.norwall.com/product_pdfs/255_hgjbb_spec_a_install_2015.pdf on page 6-2013 in figure 4, the installation instructions call for a 1" protrusion beyond the vertical wall.

chuckster57
11-10-2019, 06:36 PM
I think it’s high enough to clear the ground. How far out it extends depends on a few things. Is there a slide above it? I always tried to avoid ending under a slide or compartment and only came out about 1-2” past the exterior wall.

+Ruff Rider
11-11-2019, 06:00 AM
That sticks out way to far. Who installed it? It shouldn't be under a slide. This exhaust just doesn't look right because they came out over and out again. I would take it back to the dealer and have them do it different. Don't cut it off yourself.

flybouy
11-11-2019, 06:05 AM
That looks like a wicked "curb feeler" to me.

JRTJH
11-11-2019, 09:01 AM
That sticks out way to far. Who installed it? It shouldn't be under a slide. This exhaust just doesn't look right because they came out over and out again. I would take it back to the dealer and have them do it different. Don't cut it off yourself.

My guess is that whoever installed the exhaust realized that it would exit the trailer directly under the bedroom slide, so they did a 90* bend to the rear, and then another one to exit the trailer 3 or 4 feet behind the slide. I think they can "justify" the first bend to get the exhaust to exit away from the bedroom slide, but the length of the "final run" makes the trailer much too "wide"....

The maximum width in most states is 102", I'd suspect that the OP's trailer, when measured from the other side (awning projection) to the end of the exhaust is closer to 120" or possibly even wider than that....

I find it difficult to believe that the dealership actually let it leave their lot that wide, but I find it even harder to believe that Keystone let it leave the factory that way.... So much for the "Final PDI" that was posted on You-Tube recently......

flybouy
11-11-2019, 09:11 AM
Doesn't PDI stand for "Please Don't Inquire" about how things work?

11-11-2019, 10:50 AM
If they do not do it under warranty you can cut it off and take the end to a muffler shop
and expand the end of the pipe so it will slip back on when you set up and take it off when
you leave.
Thanks
Richard

NotyetMHCowner
11-11-2019, 11:35 AM
Ours was exactly the same way. Extended too far out and has I think 4 90 degree bends (maybe only 3). I just cut off the excess to under the rig a couple of inches and bought an electrical conduit coupling that I use when using the generator to extend the exhaust back out. When we are using it while towing, I dont worry about it because the air movement keeping things cooler. Also, I think the extra bends are to help keep the sound down and maybe even allow the exhaust to cool somewhat before exiting.

Soundchaser
11-11-2019, 01:48 PM
I agree with what all have said about it extending out too far, but I also would be very worried about how low the pipe is unless you have a size 20 shoe. The lowest item on my trailer are the leveling jacks. The generator exhaust and the black/grey water dumps have about the same clearance. They are 3-4 inches higher than they leveling jacks. Yours looks like it could hit a tall speed bump. If that thing catches on something could cause some pretty good damage and I am sure they will say it was your fault for hitting something, not because it was too low.