PDA

View Full Version : 5th Wheel

Jcholt7379
11-10-2019, 09:17 AM
WHy is the camera only working when the trailer light connector is plugged into the outlet below the tailgate AND the camera won’t work when it’s plugged into the one on the side of the bed.
Lights work perfectly.
Camera = is the issue

flybouy
11-10-2019, 10:43 AM
Check the two 7 way plugs with a VOM. Here's a diagram,

Jcholt7379
11-10-2019, 10:47 AM
Check the two 7 way plugs with a VOM. Here's a diagram,
Does this mean the one inside the bed of the truck isn’t wired correctly?

flybouy
11-10-2019, 11:15 AM
Does this mean the one inside the bed of the truck isn’t wired correctly?

You would have to check it, or have someone that knows how check it out. Logically, if it works properly one one of the truck's receptacle and not the other then the issue with the receptacle that doesn't work correctly.

Whether it's "incorrectly" wired, has a broken wire, or a pin not making contact can only be determined by diagnosing the circuit with a multimeter or VOM (Volt Ohm Meter.)

tech740
11-10-2019, 11:30 AM
Does the camera only work when the running lights are on?

chuckster57
11-10-2019, 11:31 AM
Most common is the connector at the back side of the bumper plug. If you can get your hand up in there, push it back in, if that doesn’t fix it then you may need to disconnect it, clean it up and put it back together. The plug in the bed is “downstream” from the bumper plug.

MarkEHansen
11-12-2019, 12:47 PM
Does the camera only work when the running lights are on?

This is up to the installer (Keystone, in this case). Normally, the rear view camera should have power when the running lights are on. I've read about some whose cameras get power from the back-up light circuit and some that are powered any time the trailer has battery power.

Most of the time, however, the camera will get it's power from the running lights.

tech740
11-12-2019, 01:17 PM
This is up to the installer (Keystone, in this case). Normally, the rear view camera should have power when the running lights are on. I've read about some whose cameras get power from the back-up light circuit and some that are powered any time the trailer has battery power.

Most of the time, however, the camera will get it's power from the running lights.

Yup. That’s how mine works. I was asking the OP if the camera only works when the lights are on?

MarkEHansen
11-12-2019, 01:23 PM
Yup. That’s how mine works. I was asking the OP if the camera only works when the lights are on?

Oh, right. Sorry - I misread your post.