PDA

View Full Version : Winter Storage-Heat the inside?

Kalalaubeach
11-02-2019, 07:07 AM
Curious what you all recommend with regard to heating the interior while being stored for the winter.

We are in the Pacific Northwest. It gets cold but nothing like other parts of the country. However, it is routinely below freezing.

We have a 2013 238ML Passport Ultra Lite, parked in our driveway under a cover with power available.

Do you recommend we keep it heated? I’m worried about moisture with our wet climate.

What type of heater do you recommend? Any suggestions on brand or models? One concern is a fire with some of the electrical heaters and their hot elements.

Thank you!

Canonman
11-02-2019, 07:55 AM
I'd say no. I wouldn't take the chance on some failure while the trailer is being unattended for weeks at a time.
If properly winterized there is no issue with storing the trailer without any outside heat source. Lots of Youtube videos on how to winterize as well as many threads here on the forum.

JRTJH
11-02-2019, 08:28 AM
If you consider the potential for condensation, especially in the humid northwest, I'd say NO....

Heating the interior will cause a temperature differential between the walls, windows, under cushions and inside cabinets. As the "warmer heated air" collects moisture and moves to the colder parts of the trailer, that collected moisture will then condense on the colder surfaces. This cycle will repeat itself throughout the "heated interior time frame".

It's (IMHO) much better to keep the entire interior the same base temperature and allow ventilation (open roof vents) to prevent moisture buildup.

Kalalaubeach
11-02-2019, 09:13 AM
So, if leaving it without heat for the winter, are there any thoughts on a dehumidifier? It is so wet here in the Pacific Northwest in the winter, and without heating the inside, possibly leaving the ceiling vents cracked, my concern is the damp air damaging the inside.

I have the Dry Z Air pellets in several containers throughout the trailer but was looking at the Eva-Dry EDV-2200 Mid Size Dehumidifier. It is an electrically powered unit and seems to get good reviews.

Thank you!

NH_Bulldog
11-02-2019, 11:02 AM
Unless it’s a desiccant dehumidifier, it won’t work below 40-45° F. Have you asked a dealer what they suggest? They have at least several dozen unsold units parked on their lot at any given time. I doubt they heat or dehumidify any of them (or run the air conditioners in the summer).

flybouy
11-02-2019, 01:55 PM
If you have an open (not necessarily WIDE open) vent that rain cannot get into then the air exchange is best. If the inside air is the same temperature and humidity as the outside air then there should not be a condensation issue.

ctbruce
11-03-2019, 06:30 AM
My thoughts are
1. Dont cover it.
2. Put a vent cover over the vent(s) on the roof.
3. Check on it monthly.

Lee
11-03-2019, 06:33 AM
Hi,... I too live in Olympia ;-)

My TT is plugged in year round, in a garage at my house.

I run a dehumidifier on a timer, year round.

During the winter months I also run a small electric heater on a outlet that turns on at 35*, off at 45*... bought on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Farm-Innovators-TC-3-Thermostatically-Controlled/dp/B0006U2HD2/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=Farm+Innovators+TC-3+Cold+Weather+Thermo+Cube+Thermostatically+Contro lled+Outlet+-+On+at+35-Degrees%2FOff+at+45-Degrees&qid=1572791502&sr=8-1

k94x4
11-03-2019, 12:54 PM
We lived in Astoria Oregon and always kept a dehumidifier going, all year long. I highly recommend it.