PDA

View Full Version : Trickle Charger and Winter Battery Questions

Kalalaubeach
11-02-2019, 07:00 AM
New to this and going through our first winter. Bought our 2013 238ML Ultra Lite Passport used from the original owner this Summer. One of the first things we had to do was replace the two batteries.

I was hoping for suggestions on how to care for them through the winter. The trailer is stored in our driveway and plugged in to power with a cover.

Is it ok to leave the batteries on the trailer?

If not, should they be placed on a charger? A trickle charger or some other kind?

Can anyone recommend a good charger...brand, model #, etc.? I don’t want to spend an arm and a leg but the batteries weren’t cheap and I want to make sure I’m taking good care of them so they last.

Is it possible to buy one charger that will allow me to hook up both batteries at the same time or will I need to purchase one charger for each battery?

Finally, if the batteries are removed for the winter, is it still okay and recommended to leave the trailer plugged in to power?

Thank you!

hankpage
11-02-2019, 07:17 AM
If your converter/charger is working properly it should maintain your batteries just fine. Remember to check electrolyte levels every month or so and top off with distilled water only. If you do decide to remove the batteries, be sure to use a battery maintainer not just a charger. JM2¢, Hank

chuckster57
11-02-2019, 07:20 AM
If your plugged into shore power its ok to leave the batteries installed, be sure to check the water level in the cells every month. If you do remove them and leave it plugged in, then you need to cover the positive lead so it doesn't ground out against the frame. I personally wouldn't cover the trailer, I would leave a roof vent just cracked open for moisture to escape. Covers can cause more issues than they prevent but that's just MHO

BTW: welcome to the forum :wlcm:

Canonman
11-02-2019, 07:46 AM
I've always removed the batteries and stored them in the garage. Outside temps here can get into the single digits and below so moving the batteries into the garage just made sense to me. I use a Battery Tender:https://www.superje.com/products/volts-plus-battery-deltran-tender-12
battery maintainer. Like Chuck suggested, periodically check the water levels.
I do use a cover on the Cougar for winter storage so removing the batteries makes checking them much easier. Plus, using the Battery Tender eliminates any off season wear and tear on the converter. I'd rather replace a $24 maintainer than the more expensive converter.

roadglide
11-02-2019, 07:54 AM
I have been using a three amp trickle charger for three AGM batteries for over two years keeping the batteries at 90 percent with the disconnect switch off . I believe being plugged in to shore power uses more energy and wears the converter more then a 3 amp trickle charger .

NH_Bulldog
11-02-2019, 11:28 AM
I pull our batteries and keep them on the workbench in my shop. I connect to a Deltran Battery Tender and it keeps them fresh and ready for the spring.

Lee
11-03-2019, 06:38 AM
What Chuckster said ^^^^^