PDA

View Full Version : Towing a 27SGS with a 3/4 ton gas

Travler
10-30-2019, 03:48 PM
Ok I just cant figure this out..So I am throwing it out to all of you for help. My TV is a 2009 Chevy 2500HD with tow package. Curb weight is 5840 with a GVWR of 9200 and said a towing capacity of 9990 lbs. its a 6 liter gas with a 3.73 rear. I am pulling a 2012 Cougar XLite 26SAB 5th wheel. that weighs 7000 empty with a carry cap. of 3026 and a hitch of 1190.. loaded for camping weighs 8200 lbs. So 1200lbs of gear. This pulls very nice. Question is we want to buy a 2020 Cougar 1/2 ton towable 27SGS 5th wheel that weighs empty at 8046 with a carry cap. of 2244lbs. and a hitch of 1495 lbs. Will this truck be able to carry a few hundred lb more ok..300 lbs more than 26SAB...

notanlines
10-30-2019, 04:03 PM
Travler, we need a photo of the sticker on your door if there is one showing cargo capacity, and the ticket of where you drove over the CAT scale with the existing rig. You have had it weighed, right?

Newback
10-30-2019, 04:05 PM
I believe most of the advice you will be receiving will lean towards recommending more truck. With the 5th wheel you described plus the cargo you will be carrying you will be at or over the tow capacity of your current truck. This is probably not what you want to hear, but I was given similar advice years ago when I was towing a 28RSDS with an Expedition with the 5.4L engine. I upgraded my truck and my tow and overall RV experience became much more safe and enjoyable.

Travler
10-30-2019, 04:17 PM
Truck weighs full of gas at 6520# truck with 5th wheel connected 8050#..Hitch pin weight 1530# 5th wheel 8400# wet 7010# dry 1390 # of gear
Truck sticker GVWR 9200# GAWR front 4800# GAWR 6084# Why is the GVWR on sticker says 9200 and I see 9990 on max towing capacity in towing guides

Ken / Claudia
10-30-2019, 04:27 PM
Your answer is on your truck. Its the payload sticker. Something you left out, but is about the 1st thing to know and check.

Travler
10-30-2019, 04:33 PM
Max payload is 3360#

JRTJH
10-30-2019, 05:31 PM
My "guess" is that based on the way you load your current trailer, that if you load similarly, you should be "close but OK"... I say that based on your current weights and expecting similar weights (your equipment in the trailer and truck). I'd suspect that you're going to keep the same hitch? If so, that won't change your weights. If, on the other hand, you add a "significantly heavier hitch" then that's all "weight directly off the capacity".

It's easy to spend your money, so, if you and DW have your heart set on that new Cougar, go for it, but realize that if you put a lot of "new stuff in the trailer" and keep all the "old stuff too"... well, you get the idea....

If it's going to be a "one for one exchange with a new set of sheets and everything else stays the same" I'd say you'll be close but OK....

You may find that the extra weight behind your gas engine truck "drinks a bit more fuel" and it may be surprising how much more (if you were in the sweet spot with the old trailer) if this new trailer puts you "on the edge of overloaded and nearly underpowered".....

5J's
10-30-2019, 05:44 PM
I agree if all you're doing is upgrading the trailer and not adding any more stuff you should be ok. I'd probably look at upgrading the TV at the first available opportunity. I'm curious though what your rear axle weight is with your current set up.

GaryUT
10-30-2019, 06:41 PM
We are towing a 255SRL with a 2009 6.0 crew cab and 3.77 gears.

It works but I would not want to go bigger with a gas truck.

Only getting 7-8 MPG towing.

Gary

gearhead
10-30-2019, 06:44 PM
I pulled a 28SGS with a 2008? GMC 2500 short bed super cab 4x4 with 6.0 and 3.73. I can't remember any scaled weights but I was ok. My only issue was the high RPM's on long hill climbs in the Smokey Mtns.
Another forum member had the same rig.

notanlines
10-31-2019, 02:16 AM
Now that you've posted the 3360 I also will say that you should be okay. Load your new RV light at first and head over the CAT scales. The numbers will tell you everything you need to know.

rhagfo
10-31-2019, 04:40 AM
Ok I just cant figure this out..So I am throwing it out to all of you for help. My TV is a 2009 Chevy 2500HD with tow package. Curb weight is 5840 with a GVWR of 9200 and said a towing capacity of 9990 lbs. its a 6 liter gas with a 3.73 rear. I am pulling a 2012 Cougar XLite 26SAB 5th wheel. that weighs 7000 empty with a carry cap. of 3026 and a hitch of 1190.. loaded for camping weighs 8200 lbs. So 1200lbs of gear. This pulls very nice. Question is we want to buy a 2020 Cougar 1/2 ton towable 27SGS 5th wheel that weighs empty at 8046 with a carry cap. of 2244lbs. and a hitch of 1495 lbs. Will this truck be able to carry a few hundred lb more ok..300 lbs more than 26SAB...

We are towing a 255SRL with a 2009 6.0 crew cab and 3.77 gears.

It works but I would not want to go bigger with a gas truck.

Only getting 7-8 MPG towing.

Gary

This might be your issue.
The new 5er loaded with your 1,200# of stuff comes to 9,246#, so in your case it isn't what you can carry, it is what you can pull. You are adding over 1,000# to what you are pulling.

Modifier
11-07-2019, 08:46 AM
My set up is very close to your present set up. I have a 2006 Chevrolet 2500 with the 6.0 gas engine and I tow a Outback Super-Lite 269 RB that weights about 7000 lbs. I tow mostly in the mountains of NC and TN. I have no problems, but I would not want to add almost another ton to my load. Also that 6.0 engine is not very easy on gas. (I get less than 9 mpg towing.) You are going to be border line at best. Trucks are expensive but you probably will save a lot of money at the gas pump and a lot of headaches on the hills with a newer model. Your TV is 11 years so, like me you keep your vehicles a long time. You did not say how old you are but if you intend to keep RVing for a long period then go with a new TV.

mtofell
11-07-2019, 09:21 PM
You're in the ballpark and there is a good chance you will be okay. Won't win any races up hills but not at all unsafe as long as all the numbers add up okay.

ctbruce
11-08-2019, 06:15 AM
For Travler and others. Empty weights and any brochure/advertising weights are worthless. Only use the weights posted on YOUR trucks stickers and actual scale weights.

JRTJH
11-08-2019, 10:03 AM
For Travler and others. Empty weights and any brochure/advertising weights are worthless. Only use the weights posted on YOUR trucks stickers and actual scale weights.

And remember that your truck's "sticker payload weight" is only good for "as it was delivered to the dealer"... Everything the dealer added (floor mats, spray paint sealant, "free" safety reflector kit, even the plastic "dealership logo" he stuck on the tailgate, all must come off the payload. Then there's all the things you added to the truck: tonneau cover, plastic bed liner, spray-on bed liner (Line-X, etc), running boards, extra fog lights, rear view monitor for the trailer camera, brake controller, and anything else that you stick on, fold up and put under a seat, put in a door pocket, console or glove compartment....

So, even though your "yellow sticker payload" might reflect 2790 pounds, if you've added 450 pounds of "stuff" to get the truck ready to tow, your payload is actually closer to 2340 before you even insert the hitch into the receiver....

rhagfo
11-09-2019, 08:41 AM

And remember that your truck's "sticker payload weight" is only good for "as it was delivered to the dealer"... Everything the dealer added (floor mats, spray paint sealant, "free" safety reflector kit, even the plastic "dealership logo" he stuck on the tailgate, all must come off the payload. Then there's all the things you added to the truck: tonneau cover, plastic bed liner, spray-on bed liner (Line-X, etc), running boards, extra fog lights, rear view monitor for the trailer camera, brake controller, and anything else that you stick on, fold up and put under a seat, put in a door pocket, console or glove compartment....

So, even though your "yellow sticker payload" might reflect 2790 pounds, if you've added 450 pounds of "stuff" to get the truck ready to tow, your payload is actually closer to 2340 before you even insert the hitch into the receiver....

X2 and X3
The payload sticker is only good for dealer lot comparison, once off the lot and other "Stuff" is added only way to see what you have left is to hit the scales ready to haul. In my case my "Stuff" me, DW dog, and in bed tool box and hitch and adapter cam to about 1,300#!

Roscommon48
11-10-2019, 03:54 AM
answer.
you can pull it and you will do okay on flat roads. Hills and Mountains will drive you nuts.

KRumm
11-11-2019, 12:57 AM

You also need to add the wife to the payload figures too... :whistling:

JRTJH
11-11-2019, 09:05 AM
You also need to add the wife to the payload figures too... :whistling:

And your own "butt" if you cause the scales to read more than 150 pounds (the "industry estimate of how much an average adult weighs).....

flybouy
11-11-2019, 09:09 AM
answer.
you can pull it and you will do okay on flat roads. Hills and Mountains will drive you nuts.

And drive your transmission to an early retirement.