PDA

View Full Version : First post & question

FloridaAl
10-26-2019, 11:04 AM
Sorry if this is covered elsewhere but I didn't find it any search term I used. (I'm so new I don't know the correct terms yet. :angel:) Just bought a 2006 Keystone Zeppelin 278. Our very first RV type venture. Zep was apparently the very light weight series at that time.
There is damage to the front left of the unit and the siding is broken. Unless I hear a better idea here, I'm going to cut the damaged siding out, cut a replacement piece to fit, glue & screw it on and then use some flat metal trim to cover and seal the joint.
My real issue is, what is this siding material? It looks and feel like a Formica, thin plastic sheet or very thin, reasonable flexible fiberglass of some type. It is completely smooth on the white exterior and the reverse looks somewhat like the backside of a Formica sheet.
Any help on identifying this product and possibly where to buy it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

chuckster57
10-26-2019, 11:18 AM
Welcome to the Forum :wlcm:

What your describing is most likely FILON. you can purchase new, but Im not sure what size is the minimum. Can you post a pic of the damage, there may be a few different options that don't involve cutting.

FloridaAl
10-26-2019, 11:29 AM
Attempting to upload picture of front damage.

sourdough
10-26-2019, 12:47 PM
I've not repaired Filon so will leave those comments to others. I will say that you need to look over and adjust your slide. That bottom cable is WAY out of whack and will cause you a LOT of pain/trouble.

travelin texans
10-26-2019, 02:01 PM
Also your tow vehicle parked in front there may be a bit undersized! Not trying to be the weight police, just thought I'd mention it!
It appears by the filon buckled above the hole that it took a pretty good smack on that front corner. I'm thinking you have more than just patching the hole staring at you. Hope you got it cheap!!

FloridaAl
10-26-2019, 02:04 PM
Sourdough, Thanks.
Yes, the cables on the slide was one of the "fix it before we drive off" items.

FloridaAl
10-26-2019, 02:13 PM
Travelin Tex,
All my tow vehicle had to do was get me to the hunting camp. (Yes, It WAS slow. :) )
I believe we did OK price wise. There's lots of delam but since it will be 99% stationary I believe we can fix or replace most of the issues. However, this is my VERY FIRST VENTURE with an RV, so we'll see. There is rot and mold in the pass-thru storage plus 3 (old) leaks at roof edge. If it doesn't work out, unless there's issues I'm completely unaware of, I believe we can bail and actually make a grand or so to start again.
Thanks.

notanlines
10-27-2019, 03:59 AM
Ah, the optimism of youth....:D Yes, Al, we are just having a little fun at your expense. Welcome to the forum and keep us up on your venture to 'make a grand' or so.