PDA

View Full Version : Route to travel

robert and mill
10-22-2019, 04:35 PM
Traveling from Sacramento ca to Terre Haute ind. what’s the best route towing a 2013 keystone cougar 318sab. Using Chevy 2500 with 6 liter gas motor.

JRTJH
10-22-2019, 04:53 PM
Unless you want to add "miles and miles and hours and hours" to your trip, you're essentially "headed east on I-80 for the major part of the trip. Depending on the time of year, you WILL hit ice and snow through a significant part of the trip, and if it's in January/February, expect to be stranded in a blizzard. If it doesn't happen, you'll be extremely lucky. If it's in the spring, expect significant crosswinds, so travel in the late evenings through the night and plan on stopping during the hot part of the day when winds are strongest.

It's a 2000 mile trip, plan 5 days (about 400 miles a day) and add significant time for "hostile weather conditions".

If the trip is this winter, I'd leave the trailer winterized as it will probably be too cold to even warm it up for overnight sleeping and with no campgrounds open, electrical hookups will be "critically limited to non-existent"....

If it's a summer trip, I'd plan a couple of days travel and then a day to rest and relax, then finish the trip. This past spring (2019) I-80 from the Nebraska border to Chicago was "brutal on the trailer's suspension" and some segments were rougher than a dirt road (which it resembled in many places).

When you get to Lincoln NE, you might consider I-29 down to I-70. That would only shorten the trip by about 25 miles, but may have better road conditions.

linux3
10-22-2019, 04:56 PM
Interesting.
We've only been as far west as Salt Lake City but if it was summer I would suggest I-80 to Davenport Iowa then I-74 down. Google maps suggests I-70 in Lincoln but then you have to go through St. Louis. I went through St. Louis ONCE on I-70 now I avoid it as it's a mess. Confusing and busy.

But, East of Salt Lake you are heading pretty far North. If you are planning to leave between now and spring, well do you know what winter is like in the Northern plains?
Blizzards and high winds pop up without warning.

More miles but this time of year I would think about I-40 in Bakersfield and East. A more Southerly route. JMHO.

hornet28
10-23-2019, 08:00 AM
More miles but this time of year I would think about I-40 in Bakersfield and East. A more Southerly route. JMHO.

You can be in snow/ice storms with this route also, Flagstaff, Albuquerque and Amarillo. You just need to plan ahead and be willing to drive long hrs to keep ahead of any storm. A few years ago we left Sedona in Feb. with a window of opportunity and drove to W. Mi in 2 days in order to stay ahead of a storm. We were not towing