PDA

View Full Version : Broken Leaf Spring Shackle

wonderwhere2wander
10-19-2019, 03:41 PM
I have 15K miles on my 2019 Keystone Cougar 315RLS. I had the right rear leafspring shackle break and then three weeks later the left rear leafspring shackle break. Clearly a manufacturing flaw on my trailer. I’m now trying to deal with Keystone to get them covered by warranty. Both times the brakes took place on a Saturday and I had to get a mobile welding service to come out and fix the brackets.

Very frustrating

CWtheMan
10-19-2019, 04:25 PM
I have 15K miles on my 2019 Keystone Cougar 315RLS. I had the right rear leafspring shackle break and then three weeks later the left rear leafspring shackle break. Clearly a manufacturing flaw on my trailer. I’m now trying to deal with Keystone to get them covered by warranty. Both times the brakes took place on a Saturday and I had to get a mobile welding service to come out and fix the brackets.

Very frustrating

It's not uncommon if you're making a lot of back-in parking exceeding 40 - 60 degree turns, especially on a paved surface. After I broke my first ones I had my brother-in-law make me some new ones and always carried spares.

JRTJH
10-19-2019, 05:08 PM
In addition to Cal's comment (which is likely what caused the issue), if the right rear hanger broke, then a couple weeks later the left rear hanger broke, I'd suspect that the first problem may have contributed to twisting the other end of the axle, setting it up to fail when conditions occurred that put excessive stress on the "already weakened hanger" on the other end of the axle.