PDA

View Full Version : 1st time winterization

Icefish2
10-14-2019, 03:15 PM
I have a 2014 Montana high country and have been paying for winterizing for 4 years, so I decided to try it myself. Well, it did not o well! I drained the hot water tank, turned on bypass, hooked small hose to winterize port and turned on the pump. Hose immediately started cyphoning anti freeze and I was feeling pretty good......then I noticed antifreeze pouring from my hot water tank! Did I overlook something, or could the shutoff valve be bad? The lever seems to be firm, and I even tried it on the off position. Any suggestions would be great! I am baffled!

Roscommon48
10-14-2019, 05:15 PM
google is great.

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=how+to+winterize+an+rv

Icefish2
10-14-2019, 05:59 PM
Thank you for replying, but I have done all this and the bypass just doesn't seem to work. I have never heard of this problem before.:facepalm::facepalm:

flybouy
10-14-2019, 06:03 PM
".then I noticed antifreeze pouring from my hot water tank!"

Where was the water "pouring" from? The pressure relief valve? A fitting? The drain plug/anode fitting?

Icefish2
10-15-2019, 04:13 AM
Thanks for replying.....antifreeze pouring out hot water drain

flybouy
10-15-2019, 04:45 AM
Thanks for replying.....antifreeze pouring out hot water drain

Then you have filled the hw tank with antifreeze which tells me that either you have that bypass valve in the wrong orientation or it has failed. How many winterizing valves do you have on the hw tank?

JRTJH
10-15-2019, 06:59 AM
Another potential cause is the exit valve at the top of the water heater. It's a "one way valve" that allows hot water to exit the water heater but stops cold water from "backflowing" into the water heater. If it fails in the open position (can be caused by scale or lime or ?????) then even when you turn the bypass valve to "winterize" cold water/antifreeze would "bypass the normal cold water inlet" and flow up the bypass tube and flow into the water heater through the "stuck open valve" as well as flow to the hot/cold water plumbing as intended to flow.

Pull Toy
10-15-2019, 10:33 AM
"antifreeze pouring out hot water drain".

You're not referring to the low point drain, are you? When using the wet method... Pink Antifreeze, the low point drains should be in the closed position. Even with the WH bypass in the proper closed position, your hot water lines to the sinks will still be getting fluid. If the gravity drain is open this is where it will go.

Good Luck,