PDA

View Full Version : Front exterior wall buckling

WayneA
10-14-2019, 12:57 PM
I have a 2016 Keystone Passport Grand Touring Series M-2770 RB. The front wall at the top where it joins the roof started buckling 2 years ago. At first it was a cosmetic issue, but now the buckling has gotten so severe that it has caused the front wall to start separating from the roof. I asked my RV dealer about repairs and got a "ballpark" estimate of $4,000 - $5,000. I have seen the same type of buckling problem on several other Passports. Therefore, I think it is either due to poor design or poor quality control when the unit was built.
Any suggestions from anybody on how to deal with this problem.

flybouy
10-14-2019, 01:25 PM
That's delamination, typically caused by the roof/front cap joint leaking due to the roof not being properly maintained. If it started 2 years ago did you bring it to the attention of the dealer while it was still covered under warranty?

66joej
10-14-2019, 02:11 PM
I have a 2016 Keystone Passport Grand Touring Series M-2770 RB. The front wall at the top where it joins the roof started buckling 2 years ago. At first it was a cosmetic issue, but now the buckling has gotten so severe that it has caused the front wall to start separating from the roof. I asked my RV dealer about repairs and got a "ballpark" estimate of $4,000 - $5,000. I have seen the same type of buckling problem on several other Passports. Therefore, I think it is either due to poor design or poor quality control when the unit was built.
Any suggestions from anybody on how to deal with this problem.

I think that front cap is just hung on the frame at the front and back. At least that was the method of construction on my previous TT ('13 Cougar). Developed a leak at one of the top front clearance lights that I never spotted. Not long after the "oil canning" started and turned out to be a leak.
$7K later with a new front cap problem solved. Point is it will be expensive. Contact your insurance company.

busterbrown
10-14-2019, 11:31 PM
Looks like chronic moisture intrusion behind the front fiberglass panel. The front panel and roof joint is very suspicious in this case. Is that ice formation on the front top? Looks extremely sun beat.