PDA

View Full Version : Murphy bed mattress replacement

Turtlechick68
10-13-2019, 05:20 PM
We just purchased a passport 239 with the Murphy bed. We definitely want to replace mattress before our first time in November. Has anyone replaced their Murphy bed mattress and if so, what mattress did you get?

busterbrown
10-13-2019, 08:05 PM
We just purchased a passport 239 with the Murphy bed. We definitely want to replace mattress before our first time in November. Has anyone replaced their Murphy bed mattress and if so, what mattress did you get?

Anything you replace it with will be 10 times better. You may be limited in thickness though if you keep the bed in the stow position. A multi layer foam mattress could be good in this application. Or maybe just a supportive topper?

cma1975
02-14-2020, 01:40 PM
Anything you replace it with will be 10 times better. You may be limited in thickness though if you keep the bed in the stow position. A multi layer foam mattress could be good in this application. Or maybe just a supportive topper?
I have been dealing with this darn mattress for over 4 years. I've tried an egg crate, back-packing mattress, thick mattress cover, folded up blankets, etc. This mattress is THE WORST! We are planning a 2-3 week trip this fall, and the thought of sleeping on that thing every night just makes me cringe! I've been afraid to try a topper, not knowing whether it would roll or fold up in the stowage area with the current mattress in that space also. So I've been wondering if a 7" (or even a 10 inch) memory foam would work. Any experience with a memory foam mattress in the Passport 238?

linux3
02-17-2020, 10:23 AM
Which Murphy bed type do you have, the drop down out or tri-fold?
I have the tri-fold type.
I purchased a 3" memory foam mattress topper and put it under the tri-fold and find it quite comfy.
I put it under the factory mattress because I find the foam doesn't breath.
Fold up the factory mattress then roll up the foam that isn't under the factory mattress on top and it all fits well.

The queen size foam mattress is a little longer than the tri-fold so it hangs off the end of the bed a bit when open but who cares.

cma1975
02-17-2020, 10:52 AM
Which Murphy bed type do you have, the drop down out or tri-fold?
I have the tri-fold type.
I purchased a 3" memory foam mattress topper and put it under the tri-fold and find it quite comfy.
I put it under the factory mattress because I find the foam doesn't breath.
Fold up the factory mattress then roll up the foam that isn't under the factory mattress on top and it all fits well.

The queen size foam mattress is a little longer than the tri-fold so it hangs off the end of the bed a bit when open but who cares.

I have the tri-fold and find the mattress to be just plain hard. I like pillow top-cushy and just ordered a gel-infused memory foam mattress topper from Amazon, so we shall see. I’m sure it will feel better, but wondering if it will fold up with the mattress so I don’t have to completely strip the bed to stow it. 😕

Buckeyexx
02-17-2020, 04:42 PM
I’m in the same boat. I’ll be following this thread because I can’t stand the tri fold either. We put an egg shell on top and it does help but not enough.
Probably the single worst thing about this camper so try not to complain but man the mattress is terrible.

cma1975
02-17-2020, 10:34 PM
I put a 2.5 inch mattress topper on it today, but haven’t slept on it yet. I did lie on it and it felt pretty good. The mattress and topper with sheets folded well enough to get the wood platform up and latched, although the top 1/3 of it lays along the top of the compartment. I was afraid to get a topper that was any thicker; pretty sure a 4” would not make the fold. Will post again after a few nights on it.