PDA

View Full Version : I want to *disable* my furnace - how?

ATXCharlie
10-12-2019, 04:41 PM
Howdy!

I never use my furnace and I don't want to turn it on, ever, including by mistake. Ain't want no fan, no heat, no flame!

Any idea how I can disable it? I thought maybe I could just disconnect a wire in the thermostat, but since there are only 3 it seems like that isn't the answer. Thermostat is a Dometic with 3 buttons - mode, plus, minus.

I don't see any circuit breaker or fuse labeled "furnace" or heat etc. that might do it.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Charlie

Roscommon48
10-12-2019, 04:56 PM
Just don't turn it on...sorry, had to say that.

JRTJH
10-12-2019, 05:00 PM
^^^ what he said. When you think about it, most of us won't keep our RV "forever" and when it comes time to sell/trade it, having an operational heating system is a significant selling point.

If you don't use it, just don't turn it on, don't call for heat at the thermostat and it will be "inoperable". (or at least, "not operate")...

chuckster57
10-12-2019, 05:03 PM
Depending on make of furnace, if you can access the furnace there is an on/off switch.

busterbrown
10-12-2019, 05:06 PM
If there is not a devoted DC furnace fuse, another option is to gain access to the furnace itself and wire in a switch to the 12V line feeding the unit. This will keep the AC functionality intact.

I'm not sure why this needs to be done as the on/off switch "is" the thermostat. We never run the furnace from March to Sept and never "mistakenly" turn it on.

You could always remove the furnace altogether. Unfortunately, that will not help with resale value.

ATXCharlie
10-12-2019, 05:10 PM
Yes, thanks, I do realize that not turning it on will result in it not being on.

Sometimes people make mistakes, hence I don't to turn it on "including by mistake" (by me or others) in my original post. So I'd like it to be disabled.

A simple and reversible solution would be disconnecting a wire at the thermostat, but the unit doesn't appear to work that way.

So the question stands, is there a way to *disable* the furnace?

busterbrown
10-12-2019, 05:13 PM
So the question stands, is there a way to *disable* the furnace?

Gain access to the furnace itself and wire in a switch to the 12V DC line feeding the unit. Or just cut and cap the wire. Permanent solution.

ATXCharlie
10-12-2019, 05:15 PM
Depending on make of furnace, if you can access the furnace there is an on/off switch.

I'll investigate. If there's a dedicated on/off switch at the furnace, same as there is on my Suburban water heater, that would be perfect.

ATXCharlie
10-12-2019, 05:17 PM
Gain access to the furnace itself and wire in a switch to the 12V DC line feeding the unit. Or just cut and cap the wire. Permanent solution.

Cut and cap would work for me. Looks like I have a project for tomorrow.

If I ever hand it off to someone else, I can reconnect the wires at that time.

Snoking
10-12-2019, 05:29 PM
I would run it at least each year to maintain it's operation condition. Chris

sourdough
10-12-2019, 05:53 PM
I guess I'm a little confused over the worry of "someone" - "accidentally" turning on the furnace?? How could that happen unless they intentionally went thru the process of setting the thermostat then turning it on....when the temp would let it run? And, what would be the harm?

Obviously it's your call and you have your reasons but I think capping the leads and disabling the unit "forever" will only lead to issues, maybe severe, when you decide to "hand it off to someone". IMO it should be ran and serviced to assure proper operation over time. JMO/YMMV

Ken / Claudia
10-12-2019, 07:05 PM
A lot of work, to disable the furnace by doing more than not turning it on and if it was to come on by accident there is a switch already to take care of that. The same one that turned it on. But, its not me doing it. If the unit was removed no one could accidentally turn it on by connecting the wire you remove And you gain more storage and never ever worry about the furence ever coming on.

travelin texans
10-12-2019, 07:31 PM
I'm curious & no one else asked!
What could possibly be the necessity of "totally disabling" the furnace?
Afraid of a fire? Worried about LP expense?
Or just none of our business?

chuckster57
10-12-2019, 07:37 PM
Removing it would require capping the LP line, and at least the 12V positive wire. More work than just not turning it on at the thermostat.

hankpage
10-12-2019, 08:34 PM
Should be on it's own line, pull the fuse and it's done. JM2¢, Hank

flybouy
10-13-2019, 04:13 AM
The "why" is not important, an autistic Child, a family member with dementias, doesn't matter.
I would suggest a thermostat lock box. Those are the plastic boxes hat fit over the thermostat to deter tampering like you see in an office or retail establishment. You can get them at the big box home improvement stores or on-line for under $20.
JM2CW

rhagfo
10-13-2019, 05:48 AM
Just don't turn it on...sorry, had to say that.

Why is is the correct answer, there should be a switch on the T-Stat Heat, cool Off, just never turn it on.

The the OP why do you hate heat so much??

Roscommon48
10-13-2019, 07:35 AM
so, just disconnect the wires at the furance, not a big deal.

flybouy
10-13-2019, 07:35 AM
Why is is the correct answer, there should be a switch on the T-Stat Heat, cool Off, just never turn it on.

The the OP why do you hate heat so much??

He clearly stated that he did not want it turned on by mistake, the tstat allows that.

Ken / Claudia
10-13-2019, 09:32 AM
My opinion, post #16 is the best answer, easy to do and the system can work when needed at some point.

ATXCharlie
10-13-2019, 07:10 PM
The "why" is not important, an autistic child, a family member with dementia, doesn't matter.
JM2CW

Thx flybouy - exactly right - it doesn't matter why. I have my reasons and my preferences.

Including a big one just added to the list today, which I discovered while removing the unit: There's clearly been a big mouse party in there, going back who-knows-how-many years. See the duct pic and imagine the blower blowing air over the mess in that duct, etc, sending that air into my living space. In case the pic isn't clear, it's mouse droppings and nut husks in the duct.

Anyway, no on/off switch was evident, and disconnecting a wire necessitated pulling the unit for access, so I pulled it out and it's not going back in.

I capped the gas line, put a 2'x2' board on the floor, put steel wool in the ext. vent tubes and will add insulation there. Still need to cover the two duct holes on the vertical wall.

I will probably buy a small hotel-room-style safe and stick it in there, and use magnets to make the louvered cover easy to remove/replace. Good place for passport, cash, laptop, and such.

Hot-tip - at least in my rig, a 2011 26SAB 5th, the furnace shares some wires with the fridge, which I figured out when the "auto" light went out. Fixed that and everything's good.

Tomorrow, I might remove all the ductwork.

footz1941
10-20-2019, 07:28 AM
Mine has a on/off switch on the furnace accessible by removing the panel covering the furnace

BillMc
10-20-2019, 07:55 AM
Turn it on and flip the breakers 1 by 1 until the furnace shuts off. By law there has to be a breaker on the system for it.

Bob Landry
10-20-2019, 07:57 AM
It's not rocket science to disconnect the 12V wire at the furnace. For those who are electrically challenged, it's the one that's not white.

JRTJH
10-20-2019, 07:59 AM
Turn it on and flip the breakers 1 by 1 until the furnace shuts off. By law there has to be a breaker on the system for it.

"Breakers" are for 120VAC components and wiring. "Fuses" are for 12 VDC components and wiring. The furnace is a 12 VDC component and there is no "breaker" to shut off. That said, pulling the 12 VDC fuse that does shut off the furnace may also shut off power to other components that might be wired to that fuse. The refrigerator immediately comes to mind.....

ncstan
10-20-2019, 01:15 PM
pull fuse or flip off breaker, which ever applies

footz1941
10-20-2019, 03:11 PM
Furnace blower works on 12 volt. No circuit breaker. Automotive type fuses protect this circut

RWRiley
10-20-2019, 04:05 PM
Should be on it's own line, pull the fuse and it's done. JM2¢, Hank

^^^^^ what he said. No damage, so the next guy can just put the fuse back in.

beeje
10-20-2019, 04:06 PM
It's not rocket science to disconnect the 12V wire at the furnace. For those who are electrically challenged, it's the one that's not white.

Would not matter what wire was disconnected. Either one would disable the unit.

travelin texans
10-20-2019, 05:10 PM
Post 21 indicates he's already removed the furnace, problem solved!

mjsibe
10-21-2019, 08:39 AM
Being most are 12 volt
Pulling the fuse should do it
If your not sure which fuse
Turn it on start pulling fuses.
This way you can run it time to time to exercise it.
Never using it may cause problems.
Like anything mechanical it would freeze after some time of disuse