PDA

View Full Version : Level Mate Pro Install

sourdough
10-11-2019, 04:32 PM
OK, I've gone and done it and ordered a Level Mate Pro to go with my Andersen Levelers. Love the levelers and "think" I love using bubble levels to see if I'm level. I've always used a level and just don't like lots of newfangled, time consuming "things with screens" to annoy me, but, I'm thinking this might be a good thing after watching some of the videos - especially since DW and I seem to read the bubble in a level differently somehow.:facepalm: I had her watch the videos after I ordered the unit and she just looked at me and said ("you won't need me anymore")…...:(

Anyway, it will be here Tuesday and I intend to slap it in as we prepare to get ready to head to FL. I know some of you have installed this little guy and I'm wondering if there are any tidbits I need to know that I might encounter. It seemed very straightforward but it never hurts to double check. Thanks.

WNY Bullet
10-11-2019, 04:41 PM
Mount it in a place where you can easily reach to turn it on once you get to your campsite.

sourdough
10-11-2019, 07:01 PM
Thank you.

Wyldfire
10-11-2019, 08:03 PM
It's the bomb with Anderson lelvers. I think everytime we use them at a campground somebody comes and asks how we set camp up so quick.

xrated
10-12-2019, 01:34 AM
Danny.....you may or may not remember me singing the praises of the LevelMate Pro a few years back. I bought one when they had only been out for a very short time. Back then, they were known to go through batteries pretty quickly, but that problem was solved with a revised version at least a couple of years ago. Anyway, probably goes without saying, THE most important thing about setting up the LMP is to get your trailer as level as you possibly can. Take the time to make fine adjustments to level, and check your work with a 4' carpenter level if you have one that big. Obviously you can level with a smaller level, but the longer ones cut down on the possibility of "slightly" off level. Again, take you time and get it as close to perfect as you possibly can...before you hit the button for setpoint of level. Once that is performed, you are now ready for the easiest leveling you've ever encountered. Once we backed into a site, I would stop and my wife Peggy would get out and put the Andersons on which ever side showed low on the phone app. I would then slowly back up as that side of the trailer started to come up. Take it slow and give the LM a chance to give you an accurate reading (let the trailer settle, and no movement). Once you are level, place the chocks in front of the wheel and finish up by disconnecting and leveling front to back with the tongue jack......then you're done. I let mine go with the trailer when I traded it in because the new trailer had the hydraulic level up system and I didn't need to transfer it to the new trailer, but it sure made leveling easy....to the point it was almost like cheating. Good luck and enjoy

flybouy
10-12-2019, 04:36 AM
Danny that's on my list. I got it this spring but sadly it's still setting on the kitchen counter. :facepalm: Looking forward to using it. My DW had issues with reading the "bubble" for a while and I would just ask her to point to which side the bubble was on and by how many "lines". Marriage is about adapting and overcoming" and Lord knows I give her enough challenges to " adapt and overcome" with me.
With the DW's medical issues this year we've only seen the inside of doctor's offices. Oh well, hopefully we'll make up for lost time next year.

GeekSquadOfUn
10-12-2019, 05:03 AM
... Back then, they were known to go through batteries pretty quickly, but that problem was solved with a revised version at least a couple of years ago.

Well I have one those early models and just reinstalled it in my new 5th wheel. But I'm not using it. It just goes though batteries like crazy and as early adopter am upset and will not spend more money to get a newer model.

I think it was Ray from Love your RV who modded his unit with a little switch to turn it off, may still do that, one day...

But it's great to use it.

slow
10-12-2019, 08:20 AM
Well I have one those early models and just reinstalled it in my new 5th wheel. But I'm not using it. It just goes though batteries like crazy and as early adopter am upset and will not spend more money to get a newer model.

I think it was Ray from Love your RV who modded his unit with a little switch to turn it off, may still do that, one day...

To avoid the battery issue on the first generation LMP (without an on/off switch): be sure to be updated to the latest version of software AND go into the settings menu and edit the time it stays on to only 1 hour.

I am still using my first generation LMP without any battery issues the entire season by making the change to one hour.

Although I took advantage of the early buyer promotion for a discounted next generation "switched" version, I have had no need to remove it from the packaging since the first generation works so well now.

sourdough
10-12-2019, 08:26 AM
Danny.....you may or may not remember me singing the praises of the LevelMate Pro a few years back. I bought one when they had only been out for a very short time. Back then, they were known to go through batteries pretty quickly, but that problem was solved with a revised version at least a couple of years ago. Anyway, probably goes without saying, THE most important thing about setting up the LMP is to get your trailer as level as you possibly can. Take the time to make fine adjustments to level, and check your work with a 4' carpenter level if you have one that big. Obviously you can level with a smaller level, but the longer ones cut down on the possibility of "slightly" off level. Again, take you time and get it as close to perfect as you possibly can...before you hit the button for setpoint of level. Once that is performed, you are now ready for the easiest leveling you've ever encountered. Once we backed into a site, I would stop and my wife Peggy would get out and put the Andersons on which ever side showed low on the phone app. I would then slowly back up as that side of the trailer started to come up. Take it slow and give the LM a chance to give you an accurate reading (let the trailer settle, and no movement). Once you are level, place the chocks in front of the wheel and finish up by disconnecting and leveling front to back with the tongue jack......then you're done. I let mine go with the trailer when I traded it in because the new trailer had the hydraulic level up system and I didn't need to transfer it to the new trailer, but it sure made leveling easy....to the point it was almost like cheating. Good luck and enjoy

Yes Vernon, I believe your initial post is probably what I'm thinking about that heaped praise on the LMP. I also intended to spend extra time, with that 4' level, to make sure the trailer is as level as I can get it before saving the setting. Looking forward to getting it in and using it. Thanks for the feedback.

sourdough
10-12-2019, 08:28 AM

I'm hoping this unit has the on/off switch on it. If not I'll probably return it but the mod slow posted might fix the issue as well.

xrated
10-12-2019, 11:00 AM
Mine was the 1st gen LMP and I had an epic "outside the box" project in mind for it. I bought a DC to DC power supply, tapped into my existing 12VDC in the trailer and set the selector switch for 3 volts output. I put all this is a dark smoked plastic hobby box that was just big enough to contain the power supply. I also put a switch on the box to be able to turn the power supply off and one, then ran the 3V output to the LMP. It involved soldering some wires on the battery holder inside the LMP, but when everything was said and done, I never bought another battery for it and I turned off the power supply when not in use. It worked perfectly up until the time that I traded the trailer in....right at two years later.

NH_Bulldog
10-12-2019, 02:27 PM
I bought mine this spring and it has been great. It has an on/off switch and also goes to sleep after an hour. Using the Beech Lane levelers (just like the Anderson ones) we can be set and level in minutes. Now we use all those lego blocks for the stabilizer jacks instead. I also like that when you unhook from the truck you can set a memory for the hitch height so when you are getting ready to reconnect, you know exactly how high to raise the coupler to back right in.

GeekSquadOfUn
10-12-2019, 02:31 PM
To avoid the battery issue on the first generation LMP (without an on/off switch): be sure to be updated to the latest version of software AND go into the settings menu and edit the time it stays on to only 1 hour.

I am still using my first generation LMP without any battery issues the entire season by making the change to one hour.

Although I took advantage of the early buyer promotion for a discounted next generation "switched" version, I have had no need to remove it from the packaging since the first generation works so well now.

We'll, I did not know that, will look into it.

Thank you.

marks146
10-18-2019, 02:58 AM
OK, I've gone and done it and ordered a Level Mate Pro to go with my Andersen Levelers. …...:(..........

Anyway, it will be here Tuesday and I intend to slap it in as we prepare to get ready to head to FL. I know some of you have installed this little guy and I'm wondering if there are any tidbits I need to know that I might encounter. It seemed very straightforward but it never hurts to double check. Thanks.
Buy a box of batteries. It goes through them rapidly.

WNY Bullet
10-18-2019, 03:01 AM

I only have to change mine once a year, but I am pretty anal about switching it on once I get to my site and turning it off as soon as I'm done leveling.

marks146
10-18-2019, 03:04 AM
I only have to change mine once a year, but I am pretty anal about switching it on once I get to my site and turning it off as soon as I'm done leveling.
Mine's a first gen. Glad to hear of your good fortune.:thumbsup:

WNY Bullet
10-18-2019, 03:08 AM
Mine's a first gen. Glad to hear of your good fortune.:thumbsup:

But if sourdough just ordered his, it will not be a Gen 1 unit.

slow
10-18-2019, 04:19 AM

Post #8 in this thread provides the solution to your battery issue.

Logan X
10-18-2019, 09:44 AM
Threads like these are why I love this forum. Thanks for all of the good info.

mwemaxxowner
10-18-2019, 10:01 AM
For anybody stumbling across this thread after searching for automatic leveling devices, or the LMP, I would offer the "WoBLR" as an option also. Brand new it's a little bit cheaper and it does the same thing the same way. I bought mine off eBay for 60 or 65 dollars, I forget which. I love it with my Camco leveling chocks.

sourdough
10-18-2019, 10:37 AM
But if sourdough just ordered his, it will not be a Gen 1 unit.

Mine came in Tuesday and it has the small on/off switch on the bottom. I've not got it installed yet as I've been trying to "fix" all the things left undone after taking it to the shop.....but that's another story and another thread.:banghead:

I intend to install the LMP on the inside of an interior storage cabinet. It's the cabinet door I open every time we park and set up so will just switch it on to set up and switch it off as soon as I'm done and close up the cabinet. Think it will work just fine.

Wyldfire
10-18-2019, 07:03 PM
Installed ours in front driver side storage with the levers.

slow
10-19-2019, 04:04 AM
Just a thought: I do not need to access the Gen 1 LMP to access an on/off the switch since it does not have one. If I ever do install my Gen 2, I will try leaving the switch on and setting in the menu to 1 hour to see if the batteries survive as well as they do on the Gen 1 at that setting.

WNY Bullet
10-19-2019, 04:25 AM
Just a thought: I do not need to access the Gen 1 LMP to access an on/off the switch since it does not have one. If I ever do install my Gen 2, I will try leaving the switch on and setting in the menu to 1 hour to see if the batteries survive as well as they do on the Gen 1 at that setting.

So does the App wake the unit up and is there a shorter time to stay awake than 1 hour?

Since mine has the on/off switch, I never looked into the setting options.

flybouy
10-19-2019, 05:39 AM
Installed ours in front driver side storage with the levers.

Does mounting it essentially "in the corner" effect the accuracy?

WNY Bullet
10-19-2019, 05:41 AM

No, you only have to state in the setup what direction it's facing.

NH_Bulldog
10-19-2019, 05:50 AM
So does the App wake the unit up and is there a shorter time to stay awake than 1 hour?

Since mine has the on/off switch, I never looked into the setting options.

Once the unit sleeps after your preset time (mine is 1 hour), you have to physically turn the switch off then back on to use it again. It has no option to auto-wake.

NH_Bulldog
10-19-2019, 05:55 AM

The way it operates, it is most accurate mounted high in the center of the trailer. Mine is mounted in the cabinet above the television on the wall dividing the front bedroom from the main living area. But that is just the engineer in me. If being within a 1/4” of level in both directions is acceptable, it can be mounted anywhere that is flat and stable

WNY Bullet
10-19-2019, 06:01 AM

This is from the user manual:

"The LevelMatePRO must be installed on a wall or other vertical surface on the interior of your vehicle. The top cover of the product must face the side, front or rear of the vehicle when installed.
NOTE: Installing the LevelMatePRO on a side wall or a wall that is parallel to a side wall is recommended for highest possible accuracy.
The arrows on the product label should point upward toward the ceiling of the vehicle. Attempt to install the product as straight as possible both horizontally and vertically. There is no need to install the product perfectly level or perpendicular as the product is designed to compensate for imperfect installation orientation. Using the 2 provided mounting screws, mount the product on a wall or any vertical surface. Again, insure that the arrows on the label are pointing up. If you installed the top cover properly in step 5, the on/off switch should be on the bottom edge of the unit."

flybouy
10-20-2019, 05:50 AM
This is from the user manual:

"The LevelMatePRO must be installed on a wall or other vertical surface on the interior of your vehicle. The top cover of the product must face the side, front or rear of the vehicle when installed.
NOTE: Installing the LevelMatePRO on a side wall or a wall that is parallel to a side wall is recommended for highest possible accuracy.
The arrows on the product label should point upward toward the ceiling of the vehicle. Attempt to install the product as straight as possible both horizontally and vertically. There is no need to install the product perfectly level or perpendicular as the product is designed to compensate for imperfect installation orientation. Using the 2 provided mounting screws, mount the product on a wall or any vertical surface. Again, insure that the arrows on the label are pointing up. If you installed the top cover properly in step 5, the on/off switch should be on the bottom edge of the unit."

Thanks, I've read the directions as I have a v2 setting on the table in the camper. Due to a serious injury the DW endured I haven't had the opportunity to install it or use the camper.
I was looking for "real world" feedback on installing it for "greatest accuracy" VS "best convenience". I was initially considering top of the TV cabinet in our unit as the higher the more accurate as any deviations from plum would be greater with a larger arc. The "convenience" caught my attention because I also will get the Anderson levelers and xchock out of the driver side storage first. Not having to go inside to turn on the leveler. But then on the flip side it wouldn't be the end of the world to go inside and turn it on when returning from registrations at the cg office.
Thanks everyone for the responses.

sourdough
10-20-2019, 03:41 PM
Another little twist to these little guys;

Installed mine this afternoon and set it up. Installed it head high in a cabinet about the center of the trailer both F/R, L/R. Watched the setup video, looked at the first pages of the book etc. Leveled the trailer, measured the trailer, paired the device, entered the info and hit "set level"....PERFECT....or not. Paired DWs phone then thought I'd read a little further in the instruction manual - does anyone ever read those things?:banghead:

As I was smiling, envisioning those future setups that just "fall into place", I scanned a little further into the instructions...."set level with the slides out"....what?:facepalm: I didn't do that! I didn't read it! So, after figuring out I could go back and just reset everything I pushed all the slides out and sure enough it dropped one side down 1/2" and the nose down the same so....I said "let's just make it think THAT is level" and when I put it into a space it will be compensating for what the slides do; but then, I hadn't put the stabilizers and lock arms in place before I opened the slides. Maybe it won't deflect as much if they are deployed before the slides go out? Heavens, heavens; such a simple thing gone so awry. I told DW to find my old slide rule to see if I could possibly work my way out of this quandry….I'm still waiting; not sure I've seen it in the last 40 years......:confused:

NH_Bulldog
10-20-2019, 03:50 PM
We set up our Level Mate Pro with the slide in, since that is how it would be when backing into a campsite. Experience showed that by keeping the slide side of the trailer up about 1/4-1/2” worked well especially when we set the stabilizers on that side before deploying the slide.

sourdough
10-20-2019, 04:16 PM
We set up our Level Mate Pro with the slide in, since that is how it would be when backing into a campsite. Experience showed that by keeping the slide side of the trailer up about 1/4-1/2” worked well especially when we set the stabilizers on that side before deploying the slide.

Setting it up like you do is what I did initially because that is what I've always done - level with the slides in, deploy stabilizers and the open the slides. Never thought about it too much because everything worked fine. Now with the LevelMate thinking level should be 1/2" higher on the double slide side maybe it will just "preset" any drop that would happen. It will be interesting and fun...we'll see.

flybouy
10-20-2019, 06:17 PM
Have the same issue on our unit Danny. I have to "compensate" when leveling by setting driver's side (2 long slides on that side) a bit high so it "settles" into level when we open up the slides.
I know where my slide rule is (in the drawer with the "flight computer from the same Era) but not sure if I recall how to use it. :D
Maybe if I could find that x286 computer running that Fortran 77 I could write a program to do it.:rolleyes:
OK enough Twilight Zone reminiscing.:banghead:

sourdough
10-20-2019, 06:23 PM
Have the same issue on our unit Danny. I have to "compensate" when leveling by setting driver's side (2 long slides on that side) a bit high so it "settles" into level when we open up the slides.
I know where my slide rule is (in the drawer with the "flight computer from the same Era) but not sure if I recall how to use it. :D
Maybe if I could find that x286 computer running that Fortran 77 I could write a program to do it.:rolleyes:
OK enough Twilight Zone reminiscing.:banghead:

Haaa!! When I started programming it was hex>decimal. Fun but so tedious. DD got her degree in computer programming and told me one day..."I'm working in Oracle"...? I told her...is that anything like "orate" - that's what I like to do!!:lol: And now back to LevelMatePro!!!:D

JRTJH
10-21-2019, 07:07 AM
Leveling a travel trailer or fifth wheel is very much like walking on a balloon or beach ball. Get "balanced" and lean just a bit to one side and "WHAM", there you go, rolling to the side.

Actually, leveling a trailer is exactly like walking on 4 balloons (tires) and after "level" extending two slides (or even one) will "upset that balance".

I use our "Level Master bubble level" and level the trailer with slides IN to be about 1/2 to 3/4 of the first line (each line is 1") high on the slide side. Then, when the slides are extended, the trailer (and the bubble) are pretty much "at zero".

There's nothing wrong with updating to "digital technology", but I'm old school. My Level Master doesn't need batteries and it's already 8 years old. The last one was on a 1993 HR Alumalite and it's still there, still working as far as I know, and the batteries have never been changed :lol:.

flybouy
10-21-2019, 07:14 AM
John I just can't resist, if you need hearing aids are you going to "old school" and use one of those large tin cornucopia hearing aids that don't require batteries? :ermm::lol:

JRTJH
10-21-2019, 08:05 AM
John I just can't resist, if you need hearing aids are you going to "old school" and use one of those large tin cornucopia hearing aids that don't require batteries? :ermm::lol:

I do wear hearing aids (too many years around jet engines on the flight line) and honestly, for "at home living" it's easier to cup my hand around my ear and turn up the volume a bit... If I could find a "large tin cornucopia hearing aid" that fit in my ear without causing me to lean heavily to the sides, I'd probably own a pair of them as well.

As for the hearing aids, batteries are required, and I do wear them when we go out, or when I need to hear the DW. Truth be told, I often turn them down when she starts "explaining" things that are easier tolerated with a "cupped hand to my ear".... :whistling:

sourdough
10-21-2019, 08:07 AM
There's nothing wrong with the bubble levels. I decided on the LevelMatePro because I got tired of getting out and checking the bubble(s). Used to try to let DW do it but over the years I finally determined that we don't view "the bubble" the same way for whatever reason. :banghead: I'm figuring we can both tell a green light from a red one.....I hope. Time will tell.

flybouy
10-21-2019, 08:25 AM
I do wear hearing aids (too many years around jet engines on the flight line) and honestly, for "at home living" it's easier to cup my hand around my ear and turn up the volume a bit... If I could find a "large tin cornucopia hearing aid" that fit in my ear without causing me to lean heavily to the sides, I'd probably own a pair of them as well.

As for the hearing aids, batteries are required, and I do wear them when we go out, or when I need to hear the DW. Truth be told, I often turn them down when she starts "explaining" things that are easier tolerated with a "cupped hand to my ear".... :whistling:

I lost a good deal of hearing in my right ear in my twenties firing a 41 Magnum at a bad stance (arm straight out to side because I was on crutches and had BIL helping to hold me up, long story). :banghead:
Anyway, I drive, wife sets to my right, it's all good. :lol:

JRTJH
10-21-2019, 09:30 AM
Anyway, I drive, wife sets to my right, it's all good. :lol:

SHHHHH I'll keep your secret and you keep mine !!!!!:whistling:

Wyldfire
10-21-2019, 12:08 PM
Doesn't seem to affect ours at all. Everytime we pull the level out it shows level just as the levelmate pro does.

xrated
10-21-2019, 12:11 PM
Danny......that's one of the "problems" of having something as accurate as the LMP....it lets you know that you are out of level a 1/4". You may be overthinking it a bit as I'm not sure that you could tell the difference between perfectly level and a 1/2" low.

Now, if you are "OCD" it will drive you crazy I'm assuming. But, if you are truly "OCD", then you aren't really OCD........you are "CDO"........because, you must alphabetize those letters too! :D :eek:

mwemaxxowner
10-24-2019, 10:55 AM
I know there are bubble levels that can be seen from the cab, but for me the big appeal is being able to set the Camco variable levelers under the low side, and from the seat of the truck watch the screen of my phone and back until I get all green and set the parking brake and unhook. Perfect and quick every time, and my wife can tend to the toddler who's ready to unleash hours of pent up energy all at once.

I double check things with a bubble level and fine tune as needed while I'm extending my stabilizers.

sourdough
10-26-2019, 07:10 PM
Tried the LevelMatePro for the first time this evening getting the trailer out and....DW loves it!! No more bubbles! Green lights!! Excellent, she is sold and therefore my life is peaches and cream!!

xrated
10-27-2019, 03:10 AM
Danny, good to hear of the success..........that your wife is happy! :D Seriously though, I do believe that you too will find the LMP to be a tool that just makes getting setup so much simpler and easy. Congrats on coming over to the "Dark Side".

NH_Bulldog
10-27-2019, 05:54 AM
Congrats on getting it running and testing it out. You will never want to go back to the older ways!