PDA

View Full Version : Stabilizer jacks during storage

blubuckaroo
10-08-2019, 10:03 AM
We store our travel trailer in an rv storage facility.
I've noticed moqst of the travel trailers anas well as fith wheels use the stabilizer jacks there.
Why is that?

chuckster57
10-08-2019, 12:13 PM
Probably personal preference. Not needed if your not looking for extra work. If you have autolevel then it’s just as easy to hit autolevel once unhitched. Your choice.

blubuckaroo
10-08-2019, 12:30 PM
But the stabilizers aren't to be used for leveling.
Besides, why level it while stored?

ctbruce
10-08-2019, 12:32 PM
Personal preference too.

Wyldfire
10-08-2019, 12:47 PM
Maybe to defer theft? Be quicker to snatch one that have them up.

NH_Bulldog
10-08-2019, 02:16 PM
One issue with stabilizers down is that if tires deflate all the weight is on the stabilizers and you could bend the frame or stabilizers. Stabilizers are only to stabilize the trailer during use. If just storing there is no point it keeping it steady since it isn’t being used. Besides, just 4 more places for critters to climb up and try to find a way in.

sourdough
10-08-2019, 02:24 PM
^^^^x2 - this would be right IMO.

Customer1
10-08-2019, 05:51 PM
I can't think of any good reason to lower the stabilizers in storage. I've always wondered why people do so.

Why give rodents and pests additional access points?

CrazyCain
10-08-2019, 06:09 PM
I put them down in storage, but then again i use it every other weekend where i store it at and don't want to be out there in the snow ever time i go to the tin can cabin to stay the weekend.. :lol::eek::hide::popcorn:

xrated
10-08-2019, 11:39 PM
Another vote for NOT using them while the trailer is being stored. As stated above, if a tire goes flat, you could pretty easily damage the stabilizer(s) on that side of the trailer, plus the mention of another source of possible access for unwanted visitors.

JRTJH
10-09-2019, 05:28 AM
Consider "ground moisture" and its corrosion potential for steel stabilizer jacks that are "immersed in mud" for the winter storage season. I'd suspect they will not be "pretty painted jacks" in the spring. At least around these parts, they'd rust pretty quickly.

sourdough
10-09-2019, 08:04 AM
Another vote for NOT using them while the trailer is being stored. As stated above, if a tire goes flat, you could pretty easily damage the stabilizer(s) on that side of the trailer, plus the mention of another source of possible access for unwanted visitors.

Just wanted to point out that the statement highlighted in red is a very real possibility. As one that has forgotten to raise his jacks before dropping the tongue on the hitch I can attest to the fact that the stabilzers (electric) are not meant to hold the weight of the trailer.....they WILL bend and look very funny, and not work, and cost a lot to fix.....:banghead::facepalm:

flybouy
10-09-2019, 08:18 AM
I guess I'm the odd man out here. I put mine down (I added one ahead of the front axle that matched the 2 from the factory) with a piece of pressure treated 2X8 under the pads. 1.Our unit sets on blacktop with PT lumber under the contact points.
2. I don't think any "critters" would be put off going another few feet to gain entrance.
3. I'm not concerned with a flat tire. Hasn't happened to me in yet (been camping about 20 years), maybe I've been lucky.
4. The reason I put the stabilizers down is wind and ice. One year I checked on the camper after a particularly nasty Nor'Easter ice storm and the tongue had slide over about 18". Thankfully the tongue jack did not bend, most likely due to the ice. So I figure having 7 solid surfaces will get me more friction resistance than one,
This is what has worked for me and as you can see others have their own thoughts so go with what you think will work best for you.

Royalwapiti
10-09-2019, 09:50 AM
I guess I'm the odd man out here. I put mine down (I added one ahead of the front axle that matched the 2 from the factory) with a piece of pressure treated 2X8 under the pads. 1.Our unit sets on blacktop with PT lumber under the contact points.
2. I don't think any "critters" would be put off going another few feet to gain entrance.
3. I'm not concerned with a flat tire. Hasn't happened to me in yet (been camping about 20 years), maybe I've been lucky.
4. The reason I put the stabilizers down is wind and ice. One year I checked on the camper after a particularly nasty Nor'Easter ice storm and the tongue had slide over about 18". Thankfully the tongue jack did not bend, most likely due to the ice. So I figure having 7 solid surfaces will get me more friction resistance than one,
This is what has worked for me and as you can see others have their own thoughts so go with what you think will work best for you.

I can see that, living in the windy plains it is very real the wind could move the RV. I am in my first year of ownership and I do not plan to put my jacks down but was thinking maybe they are trying to take the weight off the tires. I know motorheads who store collector cars on jackstands in order to minimize flat spots on the tires.

travelin texans
10-09-2019, 01:52 PM
I can see that, living in the windy plains it is very real the wind could move the RV. I am in my first year of ownership and I do not plan to put my jacks down but was thinking maybe they are trying to take the weight off the tires. I know motorheads who store collector cars on jackstands in order to minimize flat spots on the tires.

The stabilizers are not stout enough to ever raise enough to take the weight off the tires without damage.

Big1
10-10-2019, 04:15 PM
I don't do it, it's no need for me.

JohnMpcny
10-17-2019, 07:33 AM
In upstate, I store outside and lower them. We get over 200 inches a winter. I know others who even use 4x4 wood blocks right to the lower frame.

scarlson42
10-17-2019, 08:24 AM
I normally lower the jacks just enough to lightly touch the ground or blocks. Sometimes I return to find a flat tire due to a slow puncture leak. I have tandem axles. Also, the storage lot is not perfectly level.

goodellj
10-17-2019, 09:14 AM
I used to punch the 'autolevel' button on my Lippert Level Up system when I stored the Montana to get the weight off the tires and springs. The owner of the storage lot asked me NOT to do that any more because if he wants to be able to move a camper whenever it is needed. At the time he was trimming trees behind my storage row. Since then they have regraded the lot. Once in a while someone down the row will park funny and it has a cascade effect down the row, and he will have to move a half-dozen trailers to get them all back to where they belong. So now I just use the landing gear and that's all.

Phil Saran
10-17-2019, 09:24 AM
I do not put the extra levelers down, my thought being with a slight slant the rain
and snow will slide off the roof.

larryflew
10-17-2019, 09:41 AM
Even with auto level I don't put anything but the landing gear down in storage. No need to let the arms and seals get messed up by weather.

skmct
10-17-2019, 11:42 AM
Even with the stabilizes down and the wheels chocked Irma moved our 12000 pound 5th wheel several inches. When you live in hurricane country stabilizes are down. If the lot owner would allow it I would tie it down with cables and stakes.:ermm::ermm:

JRTJH
10-17-2019, 11:51 AM
A "practical consideration" that just occurred to me is mobility during storage. If you're in a commercial storage yard, they may have specific rules concerning storage with landing gear or stabilizers down. Check with the storage site management for any rules.

If you're storing on your own property and plan to remove your batteries, remember that you'll have to reintall the batteries to move the trailer (even in the event of an emergency), so if you're taking the batteries out, essentially you're "immobilizing your RV" if you store it with the stabilizers down or with a leveling system in use. It may not matter, then again, "what if's" happen all the time. For instance, what if there's a fire in the garage and your RV is parked next to it. What if there's a reason to move it to access something else, like a fallen tree or a branch on the shed behind it. There's lots more, so "permanently immobilizing" an RV by putting down stabilizers or leveling system jacks and removing the batteries may not be the best storage condition.

Customer1
10-17-2019, 11:59 AM
Even with the stabilizes down and the wheels chocked Irma moved our 12000 pound 5th wheel several inches. When you live in hurricane country stabilizes are down. If the lot owner would allow it I would tie it down with cables and stakes.:ermm::ermm:

I know hurricanes are a big concern but I had to chuckle when reading your post.

I pictured an RV with cables and stakes and after the storm the only thing left is the frame, axles, and suspension securely strapped down.

sitterly
01-10-2024, 12:51 PM
I had my stabilizer jack down for storage up until now. Jacks were down on concrete blocks. I thought it would make camper more stable during wind. Had 60+ gusts last night and camper rotated about 6 inches. So - because of that and realizing, after reading this thread, that if the tires loose air I’m opting to leave the jacks up during storage. Just need to make sure I do a good job chocking the tires. Hopefully, I’m being smart by doing this as I don’t want four busted electronic jacks.