PDA

View Full Version : WD hitch chain versus friction bars

Loum35
10-04-2019, 03:52 PM
Picking up an new 2020 2521 Passport GT on Wednesday. will behaving a new hitch put on. Either an Eaz Lift or a Blue OX. Don;t have the models numbers yet, My question n general which brand is better? Are chains better than friction bars?

thanks

sourdough
10-04-2019, 05:08 PM
IMO...Equalizer, although I think there are some that like the Blue Ox - but then again, just read a post today (yesterday?) from a member that had a Blue Ox then tried the Equalizer (friction) and liked it.

Chains vs friction? I've had both and I've not found a "chain" wdh/SWAY control that works better than the Equalizer. Of course that's JMO/YMMV.

FlyingAroundRV
10-04-2019, 05:45 PM
We have the Husky Centerline which is supposed to be based on the equal-izer. It has spring loaded pistons for the anti-sway function.
What I like about it is, it is quick and simple to hook up. With the chain bars, as I understand it, you have to have separate anti-sway devices (eg friction bars). That means two things to connect when you're hooking up.
The Husky is not a friction setup, the pistons in the hitch do the anti-sway function, while the leverage on the bars does the WD function.

CaptnJohn
10-04-2019, 05:51 PM
Equalizer 4 point, the best.

Retired Copper
10-04-2019, 06:00 PM
Buy once and be done. I have two in the shed before I finally got one that works like I hoped it would. I don`t experiment anymore.

Gegrad
10-05-2019, 07:14 AM
The hitches with the chains are only going to have a 2 pt sway control, the friction bars are (likely) going to have a 4 pt sway. 4 pt sway is almost always going to give you more stability and less sway than a 2 pt system. So you can probably see where I am going with this.

RWRiley
10-06-2019, 02:11 AM
Buy once and be done. I have two in the shed before I finally got one that works like I hoped it would. I don`t experiment anymore.

Which one did you end up with ?

Retired Copper
10-06-2019, 03:38 AM
Equalizer WDH with 4 point sway control. It is creaks and moans at low speed but gets better after it gets broken in and greased like recommend. After the first pull with this hitch I knew I had found the tow I was looking for.

goducks
10-06-2019, 06:36 AM
Blue Ox user here.
If you look at how the chains are hooked up you'll see that they're in reverse of each other. One chain wraps around the bracket clockwise, the other counter clock wise. So that creates a push/pull affect.
I've used both and both have pros and cons.
The EQ is messy and noisy.
The BO is quiet but unhitching can be a wild event.

I used an EQ for 2.5 years and at the end hated it. Got tired of the grease and the mess.
The Blue Ox is clean and quiet and although I didn't tow the same TT with both WDH's I find the BO to be very competent with my current TT (31'-9500#)

Having the proper tow vehicle is as important as proper WDH setup.

NH_Bulldog
10-06-2019, 06:48 AM
We use an Eaz-Lift Trekker. Once I did a complete do-over of the installation after the dealer screwed it up, it has been great for our truck/trailer combination. Our previous set-up with different truck/trailer used a Reese Dual Cam system and that worked great for that combo.

Gumby52
10-06-2019, 09:18 AM
I've got the Equalizer 4 point as well. The best for my $. I've got it adjusted where the front axle is same with and without the trailer, rear axle only deflects 1/4". As was stated they are a little messy but I just keep 2 pairs work gloves in the back of the TV - one for me and one for DW - makes hookup and disconnect much quicker.

Like Retired Copper said they do groan and pop at low speed. I'm always a little embarrassed going through a campground - sounds like something is ripping apart - till I realize no one in the campground gives you a second glance - they know.

Real stabile on the highway, the rig stays level and straight, very little buffeting. I also like being able to back up with it engaged.

Just my $.02

Gary

08quadram
10-06-2019, 09:18 AM
I like my EQ. Towed two different trailers with it. Once set up properly, it does a great job. I did buy the teflon pads that eliminate most of the creaking and I've not found any reduction of sway control. It does require maintenance, but so does everything.

66joej
10-06-2019, 12:49 PM
I like my EQ. Towed two different trailers with it. Once set up properly, it does a great job. I did buy the teflon pads that eliminate most of the creaking and I've not found any reduction of sway control. It does require maintenance, but so does everything.

Ditto on the teflon pads. They do make a difference on the squeaking (less).

Northofu1
10-06-2019, 01:01 PM
Blue Ox user here. I use the 1500 model for my trailer.
Once you learn how to raise the ball and hitch before attaching and removing arms, piece of cake. Not saying its the best, it's the one I bought and have no reason to replace it. Trailer tows very well

Loum35
10-06-2019, 03:57 PM
Thanks for all the advice. Did not pick yet. Will talk with dealer tomorrow. I will post on Wednesday when i pick it up.

sourdough
10-06-2019, 06:40 PM
Thanks for all the advice. Did not pick yet. Will talk with dealer tomorrow. I will post on Wednesday when i pick it up.

Just remember of all the things you can skimp on.....the WDH/sway isn't it.

GMcKenzie
10-07-2019, 07:09 AM
I have a 4pt I bought used. The pads make a world of difference for the noise, but it can still make noise in the campground.

The one thing I don't like about the 4pt that (I think) the BO is better at is it is harder to change the bar position for different loads, say with and without water.

foldbak
10-07-2019, 07:14 AM
https://andersenhitches.com/Catalog/andersen-nosway-weight-distribution-hitch.aspx

The only way to go! Amazing performance

Logan X
10-07-2019, 08:27 AM
Another Equalizer 4point user here and I highly recommend it. It doesn’t make any noise if it is greased properly.

ken56
10-08-2019, 05:19 PM
The chain type snap latches can be very hazardous if you don't take off enough pressure from the WD bars. On some sites it could be at an angle enough to not be able to do this, I have seen it happen. When there is a lot of tension on those chains that snap latch can be like a slingshot when it lets loose. Be sure your feet are clear of the pipe handle that will be shot out of your hands. I have witnessed this so it can happen. I had one and then got the Equal-izer 4 point and like it MUCH better.

Make sure you get one with the proper rated WD bars. I had the dealer sell me one that was not enough for the tongue weight. My trailer is a 10k gvwr with a 1280 tongue weight and they set me up with a 1000/10,000 hitch. After a year of using it and not feeling it was adequate I bought the 1400/14,000 hitch and it is night and day in how well the new stronger hitch performs. Find out the tongue weight and go a couple hundred pounds more on the hitch rating.

bbells
10-10-2019, 08:46 AM
I use the eaz lift and it is perfectly fine, after I re-set it up after the dealer did it wrong. I also added 2 friction sway bars, probably only needed one and probably don't need the sway bars with my new truck with its longer wheel base. It was simple to move from one truck to another.

mlk1950
10-10-2019, 08:49 AM
I have the Equalizer 4-point and love it. The semis on the interstate used to be almost white knuckle for me when they blow by, but not anymore.

Nitram987
10-10-2019, 10:02 AM
Eaz Lift Trekker for me. As a professional engineer, I do a lot of research before buying things. The Trekker has tapered trunnion bars for WD and internal cammed compression 'pucks' for progressively more anti-sway as the angle increases. When encountering very heavy rains or icy roads, you can simply manually disengage the anti-sway system with the turn of 2 nuts if that is your habit. And, when you want to manoeuver at the campsite, these same internal anti-sway systems automatically disengage for you during sharp turns.

When you're ready to hook up again, that too is easy. Just lower the hitch to lock onto the towing ball, then raise the hitch/TV with your tongue jack, slip in and clip the Trekker trunnion bars, then lower the hitch again & of course fully retract the tongue jack and go. Quiet, effective, and works very well for us after 25K miles of winding (i.e. treacherous) eastern Blue Ridge Parkway, and then through the west coast mountain passes and the winding US Route 101, from California to Washington.

Customer service through Rick Godsey at Camco <[email protected]> has been simply superb. In an industry not known for support, Camco definitely stands behind these Eaz Lift Trekker WDH/AntiSway products.

Scott in Michigan
10-10-2019, 10:22 AM
Might want to look at my thread about the CAMCO R3 Recurve. At the conclusion of our second trip it failed. That thread has all the details.

Scott

NH_Bulldog
10-10-2019, 06:48 PM
Eaz Lift Trekker for me. As a professional engineer, I do a lot of research before buying things. The Trekker has tapered trunnion bars for WD and internal cammed compression 'pucks' for progressively more anti-sway as the angle increases. When encountering very heavy rains or icy roads, you can simply manually disengage the anti-sway system with the turn of 2 nuts if that is your habit. And, when you want to manoeuver at the campsite, these same internal anti-sway systems automatically disengage for you during sharp turns.

When you're ready to hook up again, that too is easy. Just lower the hitch to lock onto the towing ball, then raise the hitch/TV with your tongue jack, slip in and clip the Trekker trunnion bars, then lower the hitch again & of course fully retract the tongue jack and go. Quiet, effective, and works very well for us after 25K miles of winding (i.e. treacherous) eastern Blue Ridge Parkway, and then through the west coast mountain passes and the winding US Route 101, from California to Washington.

Customer service through Rick Godsey at Camco <[email protected]> has been simply superb. In an industry not known for support, Camco definitely stands behind these Eaz Lift Trekker WDH/AntiSway products.

I totally agree! Love our Eaz Lift Trekker and Camco is great with customer service. I emailed them asking where I could buy replacement wear pads and they sent me a set free the same day.

duh1
10-11-2019, 04:37 AM
I love the drawtight hitch with extra friction bar. Once I moved up to a bigger heavier 2500 diesel it towed way better. (2910bh).

Loum35
10-11-2019, 05:13 AM
Thanks to everyone who responded. The response were very detailed. I ended up going with the Blue OX Sway Pro. I towed 100 miles home from dealer on Wednesday on interstate and I was please with the results. It was empty. Going on a short 30 mile trip this weekend to check the camper out. Will be country two lane roads.

Lou