PDA

View Full Version : Freshwater Filler Leak

mlclark2009
10-01-2019, 04:59 PM
I have a leak between the freshwater fill hose and the tank. The tank is such that the hose has to make an immediate 90* turn off the inlet. I replaced the original hose, as it was stretched rather tight from the wall to the tank. With two hose clamps on it, I have been able to reduce the leak to a slow drip from the underside during filling.

Any suggestions or ideas?

Thank you,
Michael

ctbruce
10-01-2019, 05:24 PM
Is it possible that the filler inlet is broken at the tank?

Canonman
10-01-2019, 05:30 PM
Since the fill line isn't under pressure maybe something like a flexible rubber 90 fitting might work.
https://www.lowes.com/pl/Elbow--Flexible-pvc-fittings-PVC-pipe-fittings-Pipe-fittings-Plumbing/4294820991?refinement=4294821354

flybouy
10-01-2019, 05:59 PM
I'd suggest an elbow as well. Why do you have 3 hose clamps? When I blow up that picture it looks to me asss if the hose could be pushed down a little further on the inlet pipe and the clamp on that area looks a little crooked as well.
Edited : I see it's 2 clamps not three. The second clamp most likely isn't doing much as it's setting on the "ribbed" section of the hose.

chuckster57
10-01-2019, 06:07 PM
We use white plumbers putty and slather it on the tank barbs. BTDT lots of times.

mlclark2009
10-01-2019, 06:59 PM
Thank you everyone for the suggestions.

I don't believe the inlet is cracked. The initial leak was enough to leave a puddle on the floor during our maiden trip. Since the tank is installed in such a *great* location (insert sarcasm), it's difficult to get a good look at it. I am hoping I don't need to pull the tank.

There is some room to move it further onto the inlet a bit more. I saw that when I posted the picture. I cut this new intake line at the flat section and that is as much flat as I can use and still work it onto the inlet in the space available. The second clamp was purely a hail mary to get it to stop leaking. The second clamp is over some of the ribs, but that is how the original tubing was clamped. The inlet is rather long, probably 2-2.5". I figured more clamping force/area was not a bad thing.

The elbow is a good idea and I was hoping something like that existed, but I can only find 1 1/2 size. Even Grainger has the same options as the link above to Lowes.

Chuckster, I fear I am going to have to resort to the putty. This would be better if there were barbs, but this inlet is smooth.

Thank you for all the help. This is my first venture into an RV and I find some of the construction and design to be very interesting. :-)

Michael

chuckster57
10-01-2019, 07:13 PM
Even on smooth tank fittings I have had great success. Just make sure you use the white that is fresh water approved.

mlclark2009
10-27-2019, 04:40 PM
Just wanted to follow up on this one. Life has been busy and I finally found some time to address this.

Thank you to everyone, especially Chuck. The ticket was the white joint compound that was approved for plastic fittings. The one I used was from Oatley, but there are several out there on the market. But, no more leak!

Thank you!

Michael