PDA

View Full Version : The weigh in... towing with a half-ton

major bumm
09-30-2019, 06:49 PM
Hi all,

We all see many posts asking about half-tons and towing a TT. Here is my experience. (one of many)

I had to make a relocation move recently. It was on short notice and I just finished shopping for the month when I got the news. The closest Walmart was 220 miles round trip and some things I just could not get locally.

Anyway, I saddled up and got on the scales.

Details:
- Truck had a full tank
- weight distribution hitch on
- truck bed ~100 - 120lbs (guess)
- camper fresh water tank had ~15gals out of 40
- waste tanks empty
- way too many groceries inside camper, of course
- three 35# propane cylinders mostly full

I guessed right that the camper was under 7000 gvw (5380lbs dry weight).

But look at the rear axle weight. Over by 360lbs. The camper, truck and I need to go on a diet anyway, but sheez! I even moved some things to the rear of the camper to offset the tongue weight. Did the truck and camper perform well? Yes, even with 20+ mph crosswinds. There was no time to relax and enjoy that part of the trip because, as expected, I got pushed around a bit. Even with a 1000lbs less, I would have been pushed around, but that's the winds out West.

So! As so many here have said, your payload is very limited when towing with a half-ton truck. Now, I need to go and lose some weight.

Logan X
09-30-2019, 07:12 PM
Thanks for sharing your actual numbers, it is very helpful.

busterbrown
09-30-2019, 08:23 PM
There was no time to relax and enjoy that part of the trip because, as expected, I got pushed around a bit. Even with a 1000lbs less, I would have been pushed around, but that's the winds out West.

Getting pushed around a bit is exhausting during the long haul. When one's camping objective entails a 30 minute trip to the local state park, those conditions tend to be tolerated and/or understated.

However, when the objective becomes a cross country adventure into the country's prairie lands and through the higher elevations of the NM and AZ where turbulent winds can make a grown man incontinent of his bowels, every lb of tow vehicle is much appreciated.

major bumm
10-02-2019, 06:31 PM
Thanks for sharing your actual numbers, it is very helpful.

Thank you, and you are very welcome!

major bumm
10-02-2019, 06:36 PM
Getting pushed around a bit is exhausting during the long haul. When one's camping objective entails a 30 minute trip to the local state park, those conditions tend to be tolerated and/or understated.

However, when the objective becomes a cross country adventure into the country's prairie lands and through the higher elevations of the NM and AZ where turbulent winds can make a grown man incontinent of his bowels, every lb of tow vehicle is much appreciated.

:lol: Hey hey hey! Here come Fat Albert!

Only one moment when I thought I would need to change the skivvies. A semi rolled up in the left lane quick... so quick I didn't notice until the rear of the camper felt like it was being sucked into the semi! It was almost a "Pooh" moment. Oh! Bother.

busterbrown
10-02-2019, 09:11 PM
:lol: Hey hey hey! Here come Fat Albert!

Only one moment when I thought I would need to change the skivvies. A semi rolled up in the left lane quick... so quick I didn't notice until the rear of the camper felt like it was being sucked into the semi! It was almost a "Pooh" moment. Oh! Bother.

Yep. The reality is that it only takes a split second to go from a "pooh moment" to "bathing in it". Either way, I prefer to limit those to "none".