PDA

View Full Version : Hot water heater plug.

BlacknWhite
09-29-2019, 02:19 PM
Hey guys just looking for some advice. I just purchased a 2020 Bullet crossfire 1700BH a few days ago. I am taking it on a couple quick trips before I winterize it but I want to be able to get it done quick after my trip. I went through everything but when I went to pull the plug on the water heater I couldn't get to it. I tried a small adjustable, channel locks, plyers but I cant get any clearance. The gas line and heat shield are I the way.. there is no room. Anyone else have this issue or have any ideas? Thanks!

sourdough
09-29-2019, 02:23 PM
What kind of hwh is it? Atwood? If so, I have a special little wrench that fits under all the "stuff" so I can get it off - it IS in an awkward spot.

BlacknWhite
09-29-2019, 02:24 PM
Here's a pic of the plug.

sourdough
09-29-2019, 02:27 PM
Here is a link to a tool like mine. Does it look like it will work?

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Water-Heater-Drain-Wrench/dp/B00BMRRZ94/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=camco+hot+water+heater+plug+ki t&qid=1569796016&s=gateway&sr=8-2

BlacknWhite
09-29-2019, 02:28 PM
It's a Dometic? I'm guessing it's a tiny little wrench? Lol such a pain in the butt.

BlacknWhite
09-29-2019, 02:31 PM
Here is a link to a tool like mine. Does it look like it will work?

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Water-Heater-Drain-Wrench/dp/B00BMRRZ94/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=camco+hot+water+heater+plug+ki t&qid=1569796016&s=gateway&sr=8-2

Actually that probably would work! Thanks a lot I'll go see if I can find something like that tomorrow or order one online.

flybouy
09-29-2019, 02:33 PM
A crow's foot wrench would work.

GaryUT
09-29-2019, 02:37 PM
My old trailer had an Atwood water heater, one of the sockets on my star lug wrench was the correct size for the plug.

This trailer has a Suburban water heater and I use a socket on an extension to get to it.

Gary

chuckster57
09-29-2019, 02:40 PM
It’s 15/16” or 7/8” so the camco tool in the link is probably the best thing to buy.

sourdough
09-29-2019, 02:44 PM
It's a Dometic? I'm guessing it's a tiny little wrench? Lol such a pain in the butt.

Forgot Dometic bought out Atwood so on a 2020 it's probably a Dometic.

Rber1234
09-29-2019, 05:17 PM
Who's the Dometic water heater expert on here? Heater is both electric and gas. Flipped switch to heat water with electric and got the dreaded burnt electronic smell after a while. Heater still works with gas but electric no longer works. Looked outside and can see where gas heats the heater but didn't see where the electric part would heat the unit. Anyone have any idea what I should check or look for to fix this myself. Oh, yes the heater had water in tank.

busterbrown
09-29-2019, 05:24 PM
Who's the Dometic water heater expert on here? Heater is both electric and gas. Flipped switch to heat water with electric and got the dreaded burnt electronic smell after a while. Heater still works with gas but electric no longer works. Looked outside and can see where gas heats the heater but didn't see where the electric part would heat the unit. Anyone have any idea what I should check or look for to fix this myself. Oh, yes the heater had water in tank.

I'd suggest creating a new thread on your hot water heater issue. You get more appropriate responses that way.

chuckster57
09-29-2019, 05:33 PM
Dometic (Atwood) water heater element is on the backside. look for the rectangular plastic box, it houses the connections and the element.

geeman
10-17-2019, 07:57 AM
I just put my 1-1/16 open end wrench with jaws over the end if the plug and then put a crescent on the handle and give it a twist.

ObiRich
10-17-2019, 08:15 AM
Wow...that wasn't engineered very well.

Yucca
10-17-2019, 08:19 AM
I would remove the stuff blocking access to your plug. If it's like mine, I put a breakover wrench with lots of leverage. You might also trying loosing the plug while the hot water heater is hot, sometimes that helps.

capnkirk4
10-17-2019, 09:29 AM
I just use a pair of curved needle nose pliers. It works fine.

john_w
10-17-2019, 11:12 AM
Best hack/mod I've seen for this is to get a plastic nipple from Tractor Supply and then replace your plug permanently with the plastic nipple. Then attach a braided stainless steel 8-12" water hose with a 1/4" ball valve on the end of it. Anytime you want to drain your tank you just need to open the ball valve. It works great and I've done the mod on my trailer's hot water tank. The reason you want to use a plastic nipple is to prevent corrosion from dissimilar metals.

JRTJH
10-17-2019, 11:37 AM
Best hack/mod I've seen for this is to get a plastic nipple from Tractor Supply and then replace your plug permanently with the plastic nipple. Then attach a braided stainless steel 8-12" water hose with a 1/4" ball valve on the end of it. Anytime you want to drain your tank you just need to open the ball valve. It works great and I've done the mod on my trailer's hot water tank. The reason you want to use a plastic nipple is to prevent corrosion from dissimilar metals.

That may work well with an Atwood water heater (no anode rod required) but if you remove the anode from a Suburban water heater, AND if your water is "corrosive" you can destroy your water heater tank as rapidly as one camping season.

As a "caution", if you're using a braided water hose and a 1/4" valve and they are "weaker than the pressure relief valve, you may set up a dangerous situation for anyone who might happen to pull, tug or reposition that hose while the water heater is in operation and under pressure while filled with hot water. It's easy to get sprayed with hot water with the OEM setup if you're not careful. Adding a "Rube Goldberg drain hose" might make things even more dangerous for the "unknowing or uninformed".... YMMV

footz1941
10-17-2019, 11:50 AM
Mine is 1 1/16 socket. Anode rod was completely eaten up after one year I use Teflon tape on the plug

john_w
10-17-2019, 11:53 AM
Totally agree with you JRTJH - if you plug has the anode rod then you should NOT do the mod I mentioned. The rod is critical to prevent corrosive water in the tank. In my case (must be Atwood) there was no sacrificial rod attached to the drain plug.

Frosty46
10-17-2019, 09:42 PM
What "Sourdough" said and remember to spray WD40 night before the operation. Any long reach wench will work--may as well buy a set--Sears is closing down ....

Bugz1985
10-18-2019, 06:38 AM
I use a socket on an extension to get to it.Mine is 1 1/16 socket