PDA

View Full Version : Hot Water Heater Problem

Cougar29FKS
09-26-2019, 10:59 AM
So I have a 2010 Cougar half ton trailer and when I took it out last month the hot water quit heating when hooked up to power about halfway through my stay. I went out and tried to turn the switch to the off position but it was stuck in place and will not budge.

I went ahead and used propane the rest of the trip and it heated just fine. Has anyone had the on/off switch freeze up like that and stop heating when hooked up to shore power? Solutions?

chuckster57
09-26-2019, 12:22 PM
I’ve seen those switches fail. Cheap enough to just replace and be done.

ctbruce
09-26-2019, 12:37 PM
Was the pin in the holes?

Pull Toy
09-26-2019, 12:44 PM
+1 for Chuckster ^^^

Had to replace mine too. Just throw the breaker, or come off of shore power first.

Good Luck,

Cougar29FKS
09-26-2019, 01:05 PM
I’ve seen those switches fail. Cheap enough to just replace and be done.

Ok thanks! Are they easy to replace? It looks a little hard to get to but I haven't tried removing it yet.

Cougar29FKS
09-26-2019, 01:06 PM
Was the pin in the holes?

No, in fact I dont think mine even has a pin.

Pull Toy
09-26-2019, 01:47 PM
Once the shore power is disconnected, carefully pry the switch out. Be careful not to tear the square rubber gasket behind the switch. You will see two spade connectors on the back of the switch once it's out. Put the gasket on the new switch, and connect the spade connectors to it. Orient it so that you can read the "Off/On" labels, and snap it back into the slotted hole until it snaps into place. Make sure your tank is full, then re-apply shore power and "try her out"! You should be all set.

p.s. Not all electric HW heaters have that clip to keep you from throwing the switch. Since mine doesn't, I have a few labels, strategically placed, to remind me to turn off Water Heater LP ( and/or) Electric, when breaking camp. Example: At my Tank Gauge monitoring panel.

Good Luck,

jerseyphil
09-26-2019, 01:59 PM
My water heater electric switch got stuck in the off position. So, I changed it this August. The switch was only about $8. My biggest problem in replacing it was the wires behind it were short. I had to be sooooooo careful I didn't lose one inside while installing the new switch.
New switch works great. Old one had a pin. New one does not.

Cougar29FKS
09-26-2019, 03:12 PM
OK, thanks! Sounds easy enough. I will give it a try. Looks like I can order a replacement switch from Amazon.

Cougar29FKS
10-08-2019, 09:19 AM
Just wanted to say a quick thank for the help you all provided!

Bought the switch for $4.95 at a local RV parts house. It was a bit tricky to get it out of that tight space but thankfully they left several inches of wire for me to pull out behind the switch so it was no problem connecting them to the new switch.

sourdough
10-08-2019, 11:28 AM
Thanks for following up with the forum.