PDA

View Full Version : Weight restriction on 29RKS roof

gspman
09-25-2019, 04:29 AM
I was up top last night inspecting the roof to see what is needed to clean and seal.
I did not feel the roof supported me very well, I could feel it give a little with every step.
its a 2019 model and the roof is in very good shape.

I am 260lbs, is it a good idea for me to be up there?

Thanks in Advance
Scott

ctbruce
09-25-2019, 05:27 AM
I was up top last night inspecting the roof to see what is needed to clean and seal.

I did not feel the roof supported me very well, I could feel it give a little with every step.

its a 2019 model and the roof is in very good shape.

I am 260lbs, is it a good idea for me to be up there?

Thanks in Advance

ScottIs it a walkable roof? Do you have a factory supplied ladder?

If no to either of these,then no you shouldn't be.

Heres a link to a current thread about the same topic.
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Ekeystoneforums%2Ecom% 2Fforums%2Fshowthread%2Ephp%3Ft%3D39911&share_tid=39911&share_fid=38313&share_type=t&link_source=app

JRTJH
09-25-2019, 06:26 AM
The automobile industry has elected to use 150 pounds as the "driver weight allowance" when calculating payload and vehicle operations. They apparently have not "kept up with the growth of adult humans" in recent (last 50 years)...

I'd suspect that the RV industry has some similar "standard weight for humans" somewhere in their engineering standards. I'm positive that the RV industry does not allow for "any and all humans, regardless of weight" to walk on the roofs of RV's with declared "walkable roof" status. I'm also positive that there is an engineering standard somewhere that defines what weight a "walkable roof" will support without damage.

I don't know what that engineering standard is and I have not been able to get any of the RV manufacturers to provide the information.

I can say that a roof that's designed to support a 150 pound human (automobile standard) would likely not support a 300 pound human equally as well. What's in question, at least for me, is the question: "What weight is used to declare a RV roof walkable or not walkable"..... I have not yet found the answer to that question.

hankpage
09-25-2019, 08:05 AM
Scott, I'm 250 + or - depending on the season. :D The roof on my '07 290RKS was walkable. It had a ladder that I would not trust if I was 150. Twice a year I would clean and inspect the roof mostly trying to walk close to the edges and if I had to kneel for repairs I used a small piece of carpeted plywood to spread the weight out. That being said, I have no idea what changes have been made in construction since '07. If your '19 is considered a "walkable roof" I would just use caution. Kneeling can apply more psi than walking so be sure to spread the weight out. We love that floor-plan, hope you enjoy it as much. Hank

gspman
09-25-2019, 11:40 AM
yes it has a ladder, the previous owner was on it quite bit for cleaning.