PDA

View Full Version : How many Grey tanks do I have?

Audionut
09-17-2019, 07:29 AM
Inside my 2015 KEYSTONE COUGAR 30RLI it indicates on the control panel greywater 1 and grey water 2.

However on the outside I can only see one valve to pull to empty for gray water. And when you check the levels inside on the control panel both grey water 1 and 2 show different levels when you check to see how full they are.

I am wondering if there actually are two grey tanks, but are somehow hooked together with one as an overflow maybe?

flybouy
09-17-2019, 07:35 AM
I think one. Could be the panel has the capability for monitoring 2.

GMcKenzie
09-17-2019, 07:37 AM
Brochure shows 60 gals for grey water, so that would be 2 tanks. I'd look under the kitchen slide for a second valve. My trailer has the second valve just rearward of my slide (but a different floorplan). You may have to crawl underneath as any stickers might be gone.

jsb5717
09-17-2019, 07:44 AM
Yep, 2 gray tanks. Check up in the wheel well for the other handle. That's where mine is for the galley gray tank.

travelin texans
09-17-2019, 07:55 AM
Just FYI, don't be too concerned with the sensor indicators inside they're notoriously useless.

Audionut
09-17-2019, 08:49 AM
Thanks all, but I looked in all the locations you mentioned and for the life of me I cannot find the second valve for the grey water.

Audionut
09-17-2019, 09:11 AM
Just FYI, don't be too concerned with the sensor indicators inside they're notoriously useless.

Also like I said, I still cannot find the second outside grey water valve.

But the readouts inside the camper initially said empty and now since we are now camping the grey water 1 says 1/3 full, and Grey water 2 says 2/3 full.

Canonman
09-17-2019, 09:33 AM
I believe you have both a galley and bathroom grey waste tanks. Our dump valve for the galley tank is just behind the wheels on the driver side. Look for a small "T" handle. You might need a flashlight and need to retract the slide. Probably not marked since the stickers have a habit of coming off. The grey tank dump handle located by the black dump handle is used for the bathroom tank.
Not everyone has had the good luck we've had with the tank sensors. Ours work fine. Looks like yours are working as well.

wiredgeorge
09-17-2019, 09:40 AM
They put the label for the dump valve handle located behind a rear tire on the inside of the tire rim. Crawling under the slide and reaching behind the driver rear tire which is normally positioned near or over a fire ant mound and over gravel is one of the greatest joys of my life.

Audionut
09-17-2019, 10:12 AM
I believe you have both a galley and bathroom grey waste tanks. Our dump valve for the galley tank is just behind the wheels on the driver side. Look for a small "T" handle. You might need a flashlight and need to retract the slide. Probably not marked since the stickers have a habit of coming off. The grey tank dump handle located by the black dump handle is used for the bathroom tank.
Not everyone has had the good luck we've had with the tank sensors. Ours work fine. Looks like yours are working as well.

I am attaching a picture that I took from the rear towards the front and way back in the distance you can see the first gray tank valve that's probably for the bathroom. But I still cant see another valve anywhere there.

Audionut
09-17-2019, 10:21 AM
Sorry, I'm having difficulties attaching a picture. the internet service where we're camping is terrible.

jsb5717
09-17-2019, 10:48 AM
This is new to me but I saw a different post about a similar model where Keystone claimed there was one handle to empty 2 tanks.

Audionut
09-17-2019, 12:25 PM
This is new to me but I saw a different post about a similar model where Keystone claimed there was one handle to empty 2 tanks.

@JSB5717 Thanks! Hopefully that is the way our camper is set up! We are packing up to go home and will be at the dump station soon so we will find out then. This is the first time out with this camper, we bought used, so it'll be good to know!

Canonman
09-17-2019, 01:04 PM
Sorry, I'm having difficulties attaching a picture. the internet service where we're camping is terrible.

When you get to the dump station drain the black tank first. Then the grey. If both grey level indicators change to empty then you've found your answer:party:. Personally, I've not seen this set up before so it'll be news to me. On the other hand, if one sensor still shows water in the tank you'll need to do a little more looking. The enclosed underbelly makes it a little more difficult but not impossible. We had the T handle and rod loosen and fall out on our Cougar. I got lucky since I knew where it was originally and was able to thread another rod on. This time with a little "Loctite"

travelin texans
09-17-2019, 01:28 PM

If plumbed this way both tanks should be equalized reading same levels. I'd bet a donut & cup o Joe that you have 2 grey tanks one missing the valve handle or well hidden.

wiredgeorge
09-17-2019, 01:38 PM
It has been known to happen that Keystone covered a handle with that black plastic Darko and sealed things up.

jsb5717
09-17-2019, 01:38 PM
It's a first for me too. Reading the same levels assumes the guages are working correctly. I guess we'll find out when they dump.

jsb5717
09-17-2019, 01:40 PM
It has been known to happen that Keystone covered a handle with that black plastic Darko and sealed things up.

It's possible but this is a used rig. Surely the tanks have had to be emptied before. There's got to be a simple answer.

Audionut
09-17-2019, 06:19 PM
Well, we dumped the black first, of course, then the one grey valve. Then according to the inside control panel, both grey 1 and grey 2 indicate empty. :)

So... it appears there is one valve for both grey tanks.

Canonman
09-17-2019, 07:19 PM
Good to know! there are several who have posted that really hate the galley dump valve location behind the wheels/under the slide out. Might be a good option for a plumbing mod.
Thanks for the follow up message.

Roscommon48
09-18-2019, 03:08 AM
i always leave the 'hard to reach' handle opened. it is jsut for the kitchen sink anyway.

i control my waste with a valve like this.
Valterra Black T58 Twist-On Waste Valve

notanlines
09-18-2019, 03:12 AM
They put the label for the dump valve handle located behind a rear tire on the inside of the tire rim. Crawling under the slide and reaching behind the driver rear tire which is normally positioned near or over a fire ant mound and over gravel is one of the greatest joys of my life.

Ya gotta love a member who actually has a sense of humor...AND is a dog lover!

flybouy
09-18-2019, 05:47 AM
If mine had a dump valve like that then I think I'd invest in an electric valve. One our unit, the 30# lp tanks are behind a fiberglass panel. Requires removing 4 hand knob BOLTS, set panel aside, reach in OVER THE BATTERY and remove the hoses and the hold down gear. Then lift it out with arms stretched out over the battery box, lift the tank while tilting it out. There's about a 1/4" total clearance between the tank, front cap and battery box to get it out. After having gone thru 7 cervical spine and 3 shoulder surgeries the results of this lp tank changing procedure are colorful to say the least. I try to do this when no one is within earshot to keep anyone from calling a priest and demonologist to the site

maccam1
09-21-2019, 05:08 PM
I have a cougar 32rli,it has 2 gray tanks,1 valve for both,which is located up above my black tank drain.both gray levels 1 and 2 will give 2 different readings,depending on which tank is used more,and when i empty,they will both say empty

golfpro
09-26-2019, 03:46 PM
you do have two grey tanks. I found mine purely by accident. there is a second tank behind the drivers side wheels and it is hidden behind and under my slide out. the handle is tucked in and hard to see. you can only see it with the slide out

Audionut
09-26-2019, 05:43 PM
you do have two grey tanks. I found mine purely by accident. there is a second tank behind the drivers side wheels and it is hidden behind and under my slide out. the handle is tucked in and hard to see. you can only see it with the slide out

Back on post 11 and 12 there was a picture posted that seems to be a setup like mine. It appears I have two grey tanks with one valve to drain both as below.

http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=23843&stc=1&d=1569548263

V2wings
09-27-2019, 01:13 PM
I have 2 grey tanks. One is ion the side but the other is underneath the rv about center below where the sink is located

skids
09-28-2019, 05:51 AM

Oh boy, that must be fun at the dump station! The person waiting in line must be thinking, “What the heck is this guy doing with his slide?”