PDA

View Full Version : Filling water tank

Mroe67
09-16-2019, 07:40 AM
I have a filter that attaches to my fill hose that filters out chlorine. Should I NOT use it to fill my storage tank, since the chlorine in the water “may” be good to keep the water longer so to speak? I don’t have a way to filter it after it’s in the tank

mfifield01
09-16-2019, 09:31 AM
Personally, I used the inline filter to reduce any sediment. If it gets in the tank, then it could get in the water pump.

How long do you plan on keeping the water in the tank? I typically dump mine at the end of a trip.

Mroe67
09-20-2019, 05:07 PM
Good point, I guess I do dump mine when in long storage too.

flybouy
09-21-2019, 05:53 AM
I have a filter that attaches to my fill hose that filters out chlorine. Should I NOT use it to fill my storage tank, since the chlorine in the water “may” be good to keep the water longer so to speak? I don’t have a way to filter it after it’s in the tank

The amount of chlorine is the issue, even sanitizing with chlorine it should be diluted greatly. I use my water filter to fill the FW tank and dump it when not being used. Having water standing in a partially filled tank for extended time, especially in the heat, is asking for bacterial growth.
Before leaving on a trip I'll fill the FW tank with ~5 to 10 gal. for flushing toilet and washing hands while on the road.

Steveo57
09-21-2019, 02:34 PM
The chlorine in the water will naturally evaporate after a week or so anyways.

ChuckS
09-22-2019, 06:46 AM
The amount of “free chlorine” actually in your tap water is already minimal. Using a filter with charcoal in it or any other form of odor filter will further deplete the free chlorine level. The water in the tank and lines most likely will be susceptible to bacteria growth....

https://www.cdc.gov/safewater/chlorine-residual-testing.html