PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Ever Add an External Access Furnace Panel?

dpherod
09-16-2019, 06:22 AM
Hi - We have a 2018 24SABWE trailer. We camped this weekend in an area where the temp dropped to the low 30's. The furnace picked a bad time to stop working haha. Fortunately I had enough cell signal that I was able to isolate the problem to the sail switch, clean it, and get things working again.

The furnace itself is an Atwood AFMD35121. The installation manual notes that if an external access panel is used, virtually the entire unit can be serviced without having to disconnect it and remove it from inside the unit (It's underneath the fridge).

After that experience, I'm strongly considering cutting a hole in the side of the trailer and installing an access panel. It seems like it would have been an easy thing for Keystone to do, but they didn't.

Has anyone done anything like that before? Any recommendations? The existing configuration isn't the end of the world, but it converted about a 15 minute job into over 4 hours because of the lack of access. Thanks!

KSH
09-16-2019, 06:42 AM
There are posts of people cutting access panels in the slide out to access the dinette storage from outside. Looked straight forward. I'd search for those posts.

dpherod
09-16-2019, 06:44 AM
Thank you!! I should have tried to search first.

chuckster57
09-16-2019, 12:22 PM
I would be Leary of cutting holes in the exterior for more convenient access to the furnace. You might cut some wiring, or wall framing. After that you have yet another place for possible water intrusion.

Just sayin.....

dpherod
09-16-2019, 12:32 PM
Good advice, Chuckster57. If I do proceed, I'll have to do it sometime when my wife's not home haha. When I took the furnace out last Sat, there are no wires or anything at the exterior wall, but the possible water intrusion is a concern....but not nearly as much of a concern as if I were to screw up our new trailer! My wife just loves it! Thank you!