PDA

View Full Version : structural frame

oldred
09-15-2019, 10:13 AM
Have a 2007 outback kangaroo that I bought in 2018 and the first use had a rear bed slide failure. Looking closely I can see that it failed prior because of primed replacement brace brackets. Keystone used off the shelf awning bracket for this, you don't have to be a structural engineer to see that it was way over it's weight limit and then they used pocket door hardware for the bed slide, which also failed. Unfortunately both failures pushed out the back wall from the side walls about 1/4". I called Keystone looking for help on how I can fix this, not looking for $ or them to fix it, but it was their design error, their answer was we resigned this and it's out of warranty. So the question is, without ripping the whole trailer apart how to I fix this? One thought was to jack it back the 1/4" and use a 1/2" x 3"x72" wide aluminum strap on the outside to tie it together with other studs, but how do I find aluminum framing without drilling a lot of holes? I assume there framing on each side of the window. For a 12 year old trailer, it's a great trailer other than this design problem.

JRTJH
09-15-2019, 10:39 AM
It doesn't surprise me that Keystone would have no "expertise" in how to repair a 12 year old trailer. They have "little expertise" in how to repair last year's models.....

That said, you can download the 2007 Outback brochure here: https://www.keystonerv.com/media/2484/outback-2007.pdf in that brochure you'll see a couple of drawings that depict how the frame is constructed and might give you some insight into what you'll need to do to repair your damage.

Good Luck and although you'll be "pioneering a repair" there are probably others who will benefit from your experiences, so please consider posting your progress as you work on this project and post photos/comments that you think might help others with the same or similar trailers.

Again, GOOD LUCK !!!!!