PDA

View Full Version : Trailer aid ramp

edward willis
09-14-2019, 08:49 AM
Was wondering if any of you folks have ever used one of these to to change a trailer tire. The add says it lifts the tire 5.5 inches. Does it work?

flybouy
09-14-2019, 08:54 AM
There have been several posts on this subject with varying opinions (imagine that!) I have a trailer aid plus. It adds about another inch or so on top with a rubber pad. I've used it on several occasions and am very satisfied with it. Others here will swear at it opposed to swear buy it so take it all with a "grain of salt" as you would any opinion.

sourdough
09-14-2019, 01:12 PM
The "plain" Trailer Aid did not work for us. It did not raise the tire far enough off the ground to change it and I had to keep fighting to get a 2x6 under it. The Trailer Aid Plus, with the pad, would probably work. I went to the Andersen Rapid Jack and it has worked well.

Whitewolf
09-17-2019, 04:40 PM
We had one when we had a Keystone Passport and it worked perfectly. Keep in mind the wheels were placed close together. Our current RV has the wheels too far apart for the Trailer-Aid to work.

Consider trying this - Jack up one tire until the other is off the ground and measure how far you had to jack the one tire. If it's within the height of the Trail-Aid, it'll work.

turbo
09-23-2019, 08:19 AM
works great for me but i do have to put a plank underneath it for the height.

travelin texans
09-23-2019, 01:29 PM
Was wondering if any of you folks have ever used one of these to to change a trailer tire. The add says it lifts the tire 5.5 inches. Does it work?

You didn't state what RV you have?
If by chance you have one with the level up system all you'll need is your index finger to press the right or left button.

NH_Bulldog
09-23-2019, 03:58 PM
Why wouldn’t one just use a jack under the axle saddle? I had to change a tire earlier this year and I just used my truck jack; it’s free and simple. Is there a reason why anyone needs to buy a special “tool” just to change a tire, or is more of a convenience thing?

sourdough
09-23-2019, 04:40 PM
Why wouldn’t one just use a jack under the axle saddle? I had to change a tire earlier this year and I just used my truck jack; it’s free and simple. Is there a reason why anyone needs to buy a special “tool” just to change a tire, or is more of a convenience thing?

To me, convenience and safety. It's really easy to pull/back a trailer tire up onto a 6" wide, solid platform and then perform your work. Quick, easy....safe. It's quite another to find/pull out a jack from some hidden spot, crawl around under the vehicle trying to get a decent spot "leveled" for the jack so it can be somewhat stable. Nah, I really like the Andersen Rapid Jack....but to each his own.

flybouy
09-23-2019, 05:08 PM
I've had to use mine twice. First time was on a mountain road that left me about 6" on each side. One side, the side with the flat of course was next to the travel lane. The other side was against the guard rail. It was a lot faster and safer to drive up on it as apposed to lying under it.
Second time was in the rain. was able to pull a safe distance away from the travel lane but very happy about not crawling in the mud

edward willis
09-23-2019, 05:35 PM
Thanks for all of your opinions........I think I'll just use the level up system.

flybouy
09-24-2019, 03:55 AM
Thanks for all of your opinions........I think I'll just use the level up system.

Pushing a button is much easier!