PDA

View Full Version : Front end cap dings

SummitPond
09-12-2019, 04:44 AM
What are these "dings" in my front end cap? (The picture of the single ding is an enlargement of the upper left one.) What causes them, and how can they be repaired?

Thanks.

travelin texans
09-12-2019, 07:42 AM
Those appear to be stone chips. On the front cap that's not unusual.
Not a body repair guy, but most likely Bondo & paint to repair.

JRTJH
09-12-2019, 08:06 AM
Rocks, slung from tires on vehicles in front of you are causing the dings. Check your windshield, I'd suspect you'll find several rock chips along with those on the hood and grill of your truck/car.

The easy way to fix them, on a while cap, is to get a bottle of "appliance repair paint" from Lowe's or Home Depot, touch up the chips and after the paint thoroughly dries, wax the cap. It'll take 2 or 3 weeks for the paint to completely dry. If the "dings" are too large to fill with paint, some light color epoxy, mixed and carefully applied "INSIDE THE DING" will fill the hole, then follow with the appliance paint.

Of course, if you've got a "bottomless wallet" (or a rich grandmother who considers you her favorite grandchild) any marine repair shop would have the expertise to refinish the cap, probably making it look better than it was when new. Of course, if you choose that route, be sure grandma is smiling when you ask for the checkbook..... It's expensive......

SummitPond
09-12-2019, 03:29 PM
I was afraid they were rock divots, but they seem so high on the end cap I thought it might be something different (they're above the "bulge"). Nuts!

I'd say the worst of the bunch is about 1/8 inch deep, so I'll try the appliance paint.

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions.