PDA

View Full Version : Door vent on generator compartment???

motor256
09-20-2011, 06:57 AM
Has anyone installed a vent opening in the compartment door that is in front of the generator??? My door get so hot I'm afraid that it's going to melt or worse. My old motorhome had a vented compartment door where the generator was and a lot of other trailers and coaches that I see every day have them too so I wonder why my Raptor doesn't??? What do you think?

Outbackmel
09-20-2011, 08:05 AM
I DO NOT have an answer. BUT, even though I do not even have a generator,
I will be installing a 2nd Carbon Monoxide dector in my 5er. We have 2 in our home. This past weekend, 5 adults died in Clarkesville, TN as they stayed in a rented TT while hosting a charity motorcycle event which drew 2000 bikes.

Seems a generator was placed in a shed behind where they parked the camper. An outdoor compartment on the TT failed to seal and keep fumes from entering. The levels of deadly fumes even sickened 4 people who just entered the unit to see why the 5 now deceased did not show for a meeting.

This is our WAKE UP CALL. Fall is here. Cooler weather means HEAT; propane and electric. Time to check all detectors for proper functioning. Check your lines; propane and cords, etc on portable heaters.

SteveC7010
09-20-2011, 08:18 AM
If the door gets warm enough to raise your concern, I would suggest two vents; one passive to let fresh air in, and the other a power vent to pull the hot air out.

BigCajun
09-20-2011, 12:49 PM
I believe the Marquis Gold generators pull fresh air from the bottom, that's why no vent needed.

eds451
09-20-2011, 02:20 PM
My 07 Cougar I bought last year came with an Onan LP generator mounted in the front bay. and YES there is a vent on the door. The exhaust is routed down and to the side with an extension pipe. Remote start makes it nice and easy to start.