PDA

View Full Version : Brand new Dometic AC clicking...

agcrock2005
09-06-2019, 02:17 PM
But not turning on. I have a brand new 5th wheel and one of the AC's is making a clicking noise like it wants to turn on but isn't. Any suggestions? It's plugged into 50 amp power, but I made assumption that maybe it wasn't getting both legs of power so I turned the other AC off as well as the lights and tried turning it on and it still clicked and wouldn't turn on. Thanks for any help! It's hot out.

Gord
09-06-2019, 02:24 PM
Maybe the breaker is tripped in your power distribution panel?

agcrock2005
09-06-2019, 02:39 PM
I wish it were that easy. I already checked that and even flipped off for 30 seconds and turned back before turning AC unit on.

Frank G
09-06-2019, 02:48 PM
Each AC unit pulls power from different leg's, use a Volt meter to confirm proper voltage on each leg to neutral and ground. Just because one side is good doesn't mean the other side is. Also check voltage between the 2 legs, should read 240 volts or so. If power at the box is good you need to check power at the AC unit.

If you are not comfortable working around live electrical circuits, don't, take it back to the dealer.

A clicking relay would indicate an internal issue requiring dealer service.

5J's
09-06-2019, 03:15 PM
Is this a unit with a remote T-Stat? If so is it possible the "clicking is the T-Stat trying to start the unit? That would indicate a power issue to the unit. The remote stats are DC powered and aren't dependant on the power to the A/C. I'd remove the ceiling shroud and verify the power is terminated properly only after the power is off.

travelin texans
09-06-2019, 08:00 PM
If "brand new" let the dealer fix it.
Is that location you've listed Hurst Texas?

agcrock2005
09-07-2019, 05:51 AM
I think you're spot on Frank. I checked the other things on that side of the circuit and they weren't working too. Electrician coming back this morning to fix plug. Hopefully my issues will be gone after that. Thanks.

ctbruce
09-13-2019, 12:01 AM
Be sure to post back with your findings. It will help others out.

agcrock2005
09-13-2019, 05:22 AM
Each AC unit pulls power from different leg's, use a Volt meter to confirm proper voltage on each leg to neutral and ground. Just because one side is good doesn't mean the other side is. Also check voltage between the 2 legs, should read 240 volts or so. If power at the box is good you need to check power at the AC unit.

If you are not comfortable working around live electrical circuits, don't, take it back to the dealer.

A clicking relay would indicate an internal issue requiring dealer service.

Frank was spot on. One "leg" was not getting power. Electrician came back out and replaced the plug and both AC's fired right up! Thanks so much and sorry for not posting back on here. I'm new to the RV world. This was very helpful site though so I'm sure I'll be back more often! Thanks again.

Frank G
09-14-2019, 01:18 AM
Happy to help out.