PDA

View Full Version : Omni directional Antenna problems

Shasta Bob
09-01-2019, 02:27 PM
I have experienced and read about this antenna coming off trailers be aware. my fifth wheel is a 2019 Keystone Cougar. now time to repair!

FAN73B7C
Omni-directional Rooftop Antenna
A state-of-the-art 360-degree signal reception rooftop antenna that can receive signal from every point eliminating frustrating dead spots; It receives VHF, UHF, FM, AM, Wi-Fi and 4G LTE signals.

rjsurfer
09-02-2019, 02:41 AM
I have a 2019 Cougar also and would like some more info on just what let loose on that antenna.

Thanks

Shasta Bob
09-02-2019, 07:10 AM
it looks like the antenna went over backwards while traveling, the two screws are still installed on the back but maybe the front tab was not latched correctly it has three latching points on the wing, the base is still there.

rjsurfer
09-02-2019, 11:57 PM
Shasta Bob

Thanks

Ron

Preyou
09-03-2019, 05:29 AM
My antenna disappeared. Stolen or blown off, who knows. Did not notice it when I returned home for a few weeks. But not I think blown off is more likely. When I talked to service center they agreed to install free if I bought a new one. How many others have had the same problem?
I have a 2019 315RLS Cougar

7Iron
09-12-2019, 09:13 AM
Wow,

We just got back from a short , one week trip to SW Missouri. The 2nd morning at the campground/trailer park, I was outside looking at the sunrise and noticed that my batwing was disconnected and tilted on the rear side of stand...

I got my ladder out and investigated and discovered that the antenna was attached to the mounting stand by the cable only, and that there was a 3-6 inch long pipe (collar) at the bottom of the batwing assembly ...so I knew that it did not just fallen off, it had to have some force to be exerted vertically to pull the collar out of the tube in the mounting stand(antenna base). see pics ...

There was no evidence that I got it caught on a tree limb, nor did I have any memory of getting that close to a limb large enough to put the force need to pull straight up to get the pipe out of the base tube.

So it was wind, limb or some strange person who climbed up and pulled up and just let the batwing dangle on the cable.....wierd....

I reinstalled and used black gorilla tape and tape it back on....

your post is a very welcome , even though depressing as I think that a problem across the lot is easier to handle....:eek: because misery loves company..

Reddog222
09-16-2019, 05:36 PM
I own a 2018 cougar 311RES 5er. Last week I was washing the roof. I noticed the Omni directional antenna black top portion would spin on the base and was also very wobbly. I just got home today from a 650 mile trip. It is still on the roof. Should I be concerned or is this normal. The base is firmly secured to the roof. Thoughts ?

Shasta Bob
09-16-2019, 07:35 PM
Antenna, bat wing I contacted my dealership and explained what happened and sent the dealer photos and Keystone said it will be replaced under warranty. is goes it the shop on sept 26 I hope the dealer word is good!.

jim1
09-22-2019, 10:15 AM
I'm also missing my Omni directional antenna on my 2019 315 RLS. I'm in the habit of looking at my roof before leaving to see if all the vents are closed. When I left home everything looked good up there including the antenna. When I parked at the campground one hour away [on flat prairie roads with no trees] I noticed my bat wing was gone but the base was still there. Upon further inspection from the roof it looked like the bat wing came loose and rubbed around on the rubber roof until the wires broke and it disappeared. My dealer sent the pics to Keystone for warranty and we're still waiting to hear back. I said to them since I didn't install it and neither did they that Keystone and their Great factory quality control should be responsible to fix it, right. Now I see I'm not the only one with this issue. Oh well what else would I be doing with my time if they where built as good as Keystone claims.

Reddog222
09-22-2019, 10:21 AM
You are correct. I called windgard and told them about my antenna problem. I sent off my broken antenna to them Friday the20th, along with my bill of sale for the 5 er. We’ll see what happens next.

jim1
09-27-2019, 06:38 AM
Update my claim for the missing Furrion batwing antenna was denied by the Keystone cops to the dealership I bought it at for no real reason, I saw the e-mail. Being a little P.O.'d about the whole thing I reached out to Keystone to ask what the? They said they would look into it and get back to me. Of course I had to call them back after not hearing from them for a day, and they said they were just gonna call me to tell me they would replace it and were going to call the dealer to set up the warranty work. Wow what a pain. Oh ya and while I was at the dealer a brand new Cougar was delivered with a base and wires sticking out of the roof where a top quality Furrion bat wing omni directional antenna was when it left the factory.

Reddog222
09-27-2019, 07:30 AM
Jim, I am happy that Keystone is taking responsibility for the loss of your antenna. Keystone must know that their is a problem with mounting the antenna. Also great timing on your part to see that new Cougar come in and the cable hanging off the roof. I am still waiting for my new antenna from Winegard. Let you know.

jim1
09-27-2019, 01:40 PM
You sure it's a Winegard, I haven't seen anything about them flying the bat cave. But when it comes to R.V. that means never be completely surprised. Ours was a Furrion bat wing not really impressed with their quality control or Keystonecops attitude when it comes to warranty work. Good luck

Reddog222
09-28-2019, 11:58 AM
Yes, it is a windgard. Model #MS-3005. Looks like a round flying saucer.

7Iron
10-04-2019, 07:21 AM
On the 2019 Cougar 315RLS that I purchased, the batwing that came off was a Furrion Model: FAN73B7C

Reddog222
10-04-2019, 07:28 AM
Update Windgard sent me a new antenna yesterday at no charge. I installed it today. Hope it stays on. Good luck with yours.

jsb5717
10-04-2019, 07:43 AM
This sounds like it's a Cougar-specific problem. My Monte has the Winegard but so far seems intact. I also haven't seen anything re: the antannae on the Montana Forum.

You'd think, though, that the install would be the same. Wouldn't the antannae's all come with the mounting hardware?

Has anyone determined the cause of the failure? is it the size of the screws? Lack of additional sealant or glue? Thin/weak roof material not providing a good purchase for the screws?

jsb5717
10-04-2019, 07:44 AM
sorry, it posted twice...weird

Reddog222
10-04-2019, 08:13 AM
The problem on mine was that the inner metal lock ring inside of the antenna failed. When it failed the inside plastic tabs didn't hold and the antenna became loose on the mount/ bracket attached to the roof. That roof mount bracket/base didn't fail. I had to pull the antenna off the roof mount to replace the new antenna. It had spun around the bracket for I don,t know how long. The cable had unscrewed and I had to fish out the interior cable end. Will see how it goes from here. Good luck with yours.

Shasta Bob
10-05-2019, 10:23 AM
Warranty covered the omni antenna that came off my 2019 Cougar fifth wheel. it was replaced with like from the dealer River City out of Grants Pass , Oregon. I sure hope I don't have this issue again.

Peacemkr53
10-10-2019, 07:14 AM
I have a 2019 315RLS. 1st trip out on I-75 NB in Sarasota (going home to IN) lady pulls up beside me and says that something flew off roof of RV. Key System Omni directional antenna. No reason. Base still on the coach. Coax hanging. Keystone replaced the antenna but the rips in the roof caused by the flopping antenna until it let go......not so much. Dealership agreed to patch.

ctbruce
10-17-2019, 04:29 PM
At this point, it would be wise for everyone with this antenna to keep a close eye on it. There is trouble in River City for sure.

rjsurfer
10-19-2019, 02:36 AM
I went up on the roof and checked the rear facing screws on the Furrion omni tv antenna and found the two screw holes but couldn't seem to figure out the type of screw.

For the life of me I couldn't see the screw heads or feel for them with my either a Phillips or hex head driver?

Any help would be appreciated.

Ron W.

JRTJH
10-19-2019, 06:09 AM
If I remember correctly, about 18 months ago, Furrion changed the screws from "Self Tapping Stainless #2 Phillips" to "Self Tapping T20 TORX". I haven't found a parts diagram that lists the screws separately and depending on how many were in the warehouse at Keystone, they may still be using the older Phillips installation kits. So, if a Phillips doesn't fit, try a TORX bit.

rjsurfer
10-20-2019, 02:51 AM
Thanks.....

Ron

Ertopher
03-11-2020, 10:54 AM
So you just pull the old one up and it will come off the mounting pole? I have the same problem and same camper you do. Thanks

Peacemkr53
03-11-2020, 11:30 AM
Ertopher - what model is your rig?? In my case no one could figure out why the antenna let go. I do know that I lost my local stations in transit south. They were there when we were in TN but when we got to AL they were gone.....Keystone Tech was unable to identify why the channels were no longer on my satellite channel guide (i use an adapter for that). I did not go up top to investigate. The way mine apparently (we can only guess) came off.... yes you would be able to go up top and lift on the wings and there would be vertical play.... and from reading the thread this is a known problem.

chunker
03-11-2020, 06:27 PM
Has anyone replaced what apparently is a crappy antenna with one of the older crank up style. Never had an issue with it flying off and apparently gets better reception than the new fangled low profile POS.

Ertopher
03-11-2020, 06:36 PM
Ertopher - what model is your rig?? In my case no one could figure out why the antenna let go. I do know that I lost my local stations in transit south. They were there when we were in TN but when we got to AL they were gone.....Keystone Tech was unable to identify why the channels were no longer on my satellite channel guide (i use an adapter for that). I did not go up top to investigate. The way mine apparently (we can only guess) came off.... yes you would be able to go up top and lift on the wings and there would be vertical play.... and from reading the thread this is a known problem.

I have a 2018 cougar 311res

flybouy
03-11-2020, 06:38 PM
Has anyone replaced what apparently is a crappy antenna with one of the older crank up style. Never had an issue with it flying off and apparently gets better reception than the new fangled low profile POS.

First find out what is directly under the antenna mount. The crank up winegards must have a clear space directly under them for the rod and crank handle.

chuckster57
03-11-2020, 07:49 PM
The king jack antenna is a worthy adversary to the Wineguard crank up.

KRumm
03-11-2020, 08:44 PM
This Furrion antenna is just cheap crap... It’s also huge!... Any branch will take it out and it shades a huge part of your roof that could be prime real estate for solar (Next to the Furrion solar prep roof plug no less Duh!)...

I would replace it with this basic Wlneguard 360 antenna...

https://www.amazon.com/Winegard-Company-Standard-A3-2035-Omnidirectional/dp/B07NBRFLTF/ref=pd_cp_263_2/136-2736479-0790510?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07NBRFLTF&pd_rd_r=f8d10449-ca81-443e-96ad-e2d8367b7f7c&pd_rd_w=39Xr1&pd_rd_wg=NGfn6&pf_rd_p=4853e837-f87a-46d4-be32-dcf86bff7a7c&pf_rd_r=PNG8EVXXSNRQATDHHYWX&psc=1&refRID=PNG8EVXXSNRQATDHHYWX

ChuckS
03-12-2020, 06:31 AM
When you look at the design of the Furion antenna and the two attach screws used it’s asking a lot to expect a long life of attachment integrity.

The wind flowing over the top of this shape is gonna cause a bit of aerodynamic lift and wobble not to mention vibration and road shock.

Poor design overall in my opinion.

Look4one48
08-17-2020, 08:19 AM
2019 fuzion 369 the bat wing broke in route to lake Medina this week same as you all base still mounted wing hanging on wires broke at the rear two screw mounts still in place went to explorer USA in Boerne to replace it And after a couple of phone calls was notafied that my dealer just received a letter from Furrion on Omni antenna recall good luck call your dealer

DroughtBuster
10-01-2020, 02:33 PM
I had not heard of this issue until I realized the reason I was not receiving any stations this weekend while camping was because my batwing antenna was no longer on the roof of my camper. I went to the dealer this afternoon to buy a new one and he informed me that the batwing was discontinued and that the replacement is the Winegard Air 360. He never mentioned that this was a known issue or that it should be replaced for free (I am out of warranty by two months). So he sent me home with the Winegard Air 360, screws, coaxial cable ends, double sided foam mounting tape and some calk and wished me good luck. Charged me $52 for everything. Now I am just hoping I can figure out how to install it.