PDA

View Full Version : Awning Issues

Pull Toy
08-31-2019, 01:22 PM
My awning looks fine when out, but when rolled up, it is cockeyed. (see picture).

My instincts are to move the roof end beading aft about 2 to 3 inches, or to move the tube (out) end forward about the same. Only problem is that I can't get either end to budge.

It doesn't seem to be hurting anything, and the fabric lays down smooth when rolled up, and doesn't retain water or anything. It just looks like H*LL! I tried to direct the rear arm back while rolling up the awning, but the awning motor doesn't have enough torque to correct for the material. Any ideas?

Thanks,

bobbecky
08-31-2019, 02:12 PM
I would leave it alone and be glad the fabric rolls up nice. If you start messing with it, you may never get it to roll right. It's possible that the fabric wasn't cut square and if that's the case, the only way to fix it would be to replace the fabric. Sounds like you have too much time and not much to do with it :D

chuckster57
08-31-2019, 02:20 PM
Does the other side arm "miss" too? if so you can look at the ends of the awning fabric in the rail on the trailer. There will be a small set screw on one or both ends. You can take it (them) out and move the fabric, then reset the screws. Otherwise it looks like your fabric may have stretched on one end.

travelin texans
08-31-2019, 02:22 PM
The fabric has at least one screw (possibly 2, 1 on each end) in the end on the roof edge & in the roller tube that have to be removed before trying to slide the fabric fore/aft.
Does front awning arm fit like the one pictured? If so remove the fabric screws & while extended try adjusting the arms by lightly pushing one way or the other.

rhagfo
09-01-2019, 04:40 AM
Well my guess is this is an issue at both ends, caused by the fabric moving on the tube end as it is normal practice to place a screw at one end or the other (or both) at the header.
We had this happen with our old awing when it was out for a week or more at a time. We full time and our awing can be out for a month or more at a stretch. During wet and light windy periods the awing will move on the tube end. I could get it to move at the tube end by getting the slots and surface wet, then removing tension from the fabric and pulling and in the direction needed, in your case forward.
When we replaced the material I left the vinyl rod that secures the fabric in the tube slot long so that it would keep the fabric from moving, this has worked for three years, I am just starting to see a little movement. The replacement fabric cost about $150 for a 21' awing, so with it being out close to 24/7/365, starting to look like it will need replacing soon again. I don't pull the awing in in mild windy conditions I have it strapped down with three ratchet straps one one each end and one in the middle of the tube secured with fabric light hanger tabs that go in a spare slot on the tube used to hang lights. Sorry don't have pictures. I will add that ours is a manual awing so we have a triangular structure to start with.

JRTJH
09-01-2019, 06:10 AM
Like the previous posters, I think you've got a problem with "misaligned awning fabric". Now, the question is: Is it just pulled too far in one direction in the track? or: Is the fabric "cut on the bias" and pulling the awning off center even though it's properly aligned in the track?

If the fabric was cut properly, never "loaded with rain to stretch the fibers on one end and is installed/secured in the awning rail properly, then it won't pull to one end. If any of those things have "altered the awning fabric" then you may or may not be able to adjust the awning rail cord to compensate. It's worth a try to remove the 1 or 2 screws securing the cord in the awning rail and pulling the fabric one way or the other to see if it helps.

My guess is that the fabric has been "stretched" and is no longer "square with the tubes" and that adjusting the awning rail will help, but not fix the problem. You may wind up buying a new fabric to properly fix the misalignment.

Traveling with the awning "off kilter" like in your photo means the awning rail is not locked or secure and you do run the risk of the awning "unfurling" while towing. If that happens, you may wind up with the awning "on the road side of your trailer" or "hooked to the 18 wheeler you just passed".... Neither is a good option !!!!!

rhagfo
09-01-2019, 12:29 PM
One needs to understand that if the frame is off on one end the other end will also be misaligned also. The roller tube length doesn’t change!
My fabric is stretched from having it too level during a heavy rain, and got a large pool on it. Still rolls up straight. I am thinking on next replacement I secure with small truss head screw on the roller tube.