PDA

View Full Version : Bicycle rack issue

Preyou
08-28-2019, 02:03 PM
I have a 2019 315RLS that has a 2" receiver on the back end. I plan to mount my bike rack to it. It handles 2 bikes. My problem is the amount of vertical and horizontal play in the receiver. I have thought about metal shims but looking for ideas. I plan to use a strap from the rack to the top step of the ladder for vertical support.
Thanks

Canonman
08-28-2019, 02:41 PM
If you have the tools, you can drill and thread a second hole into the side of the receiver. 5/8" worked well or me. Then a threaded bolt is used to pinch the insert against the receiver. No slop whatsoever.
Not sure I'd strap anything to the ladder. Wouldn't trust it would be there at the end of the trip:)

5J's
08-28-2019, 04:17 PM
X2 don't use the ladder.

Try this for the receiver slop.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07B9J7PB9/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_HKXzDbP15P840

Canonman
08-28-2019, 05:35 PM
Thanks Joey, I hadn't seen that hitch tightener. Looks like a good option.

Roscommon48
08-29-2019, 03:53 AM
1. do not use your ladder.
2. look at etrailer and do searches, there are lots of bike racks that will do great.

I just put a chain/strap on end of rack and attached to bottom of trailer, it reduced the swing. I could not put shims in the hitch even though there was a lot of play.

travelin texans
08-29-2019, 07:45 AM
X2 don't use the ladder.

Try this for the receiver slop.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07B9J7PB9/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_HKXzDbP15P840

There are several different styles of these things. There's also one that goes inside the hitch combining hitch tightening with a hitch lock. All will stop the slop in the hitch, but don't help the side to side movement of the bike rack itself. Using straps under the RV somehow would work, but not to the ladder. If you read the fine print on most bike racks they state "not for RV use".

7Iron
08-29-2019, 12:41 PM
Preyou,

I also have a 315RLS and we just completed (in Jul) a 8k+ mile trip out west and back to Mobile Alabama. I have a dual bike rack that has movement not sure how much at the hitch but at the top the handle bar will move 3-4 inches towards the 5er when I pickup on the hitch......it worried me the first 1000 miles and now I don't care. I am not sure if the load transfer to the hitch is improved or hurt by a "sloppy" hitch.

And I really agree with DO NOT USE LADDER, some of the load will be transferred to the upper ladder support that is bolted to the top of the roof...the mounting will not like that condition and nor will you.