PDA

View Full Version : Lug nuts

Dboland9
08-28-2019, 12:23 PM
I check the torque on the lug nuts every time before we travel. Lately, the socket has been difficult to “seat” fully down on almost all the lug nuts. The socket itself looks like it is not damaged or deformed. Do the lug nuts themselves deform? They appear to have a aluminum or similar “jacket” (for cosmetics?) around the actual nut. I would assume the “jacket” is what has deformed and all will need to be replaced. I appreciate all thoughts.

chuckster57
08-28-2019, 12:30 PM
If your lug nuts have a chrome “cover”, you can’t replace the cover you have to replace the whole lug nut.

IMO, if they are deforming, then your socket may not be the correct one or it may be “out of tolerance”.

Dboland9
08-28-2019, 12:37 PM
My significant other just reminded me that this problem started immediately after the wheels were pulled off by our mechanic. Perhaps he used the wrong socket size or put so much torque that the cap on the nut deformed.

Cbrez
08-28-2019, 12:46 PM
We had a similar problem on our car. Apparently a tire shop over torqued the lug nuts to the point of deforming the covers. As chuckster said, we had to replace them (20 lugs @ $80). Fortunately we found this out during a maintenance check. We would have never been able to change a tire on the side of the road. If you are not doing so already, be sure to use a six sided socket on the new lug nuts and check behind anyone who removes a wheel for any reason (we learned the hard way).

travelin texans
08-28-2019, 01:40 PM
Torquing the nuts at every stop or before every trip is actually overtorquing them. I was taught, & have been doing so forever, to torque after removal, drive a few hundred miles, loosen & retorque then done until they've been removed again. On aluminum wheels constantly torquing will eventually deform the beveled hole on the wheel or stretching the bolt til it breaks off causing worse issues.
As with trucks, tires or a number of other subjects there are differing opinions on this, so let the debates begin, then you choose the method that works for you.

sourdough
08-28-2019, 03:09 PM
Like the others, I suspect the "cover" has been deformed. Had my tires rotated on a previous truck at an unknown shop while on the road and could not get a socket on them for nothing. They had deformed nearly all of them so bought new ones for all the wheels.

bobbecky
08-28-2019, 04:47 PM
23459Torquing the nuts at every stop or before every trip is actually overtorquing them. I was taught, & have been doing so forever, to torque after removal, drive a few hundred miles, loosen & retorque then done until they've been removed again. On aluminum wheels constantly torquing will eventually deform the beveled hole on the wheel or stretching the bolt til it breaks off causing worse issues.
As with trucks, tires or a number of other subjects there are differing opinions on this, so let the debates begin, then you choose the method that works for you.

Every time you loosen the lug nuts, you are starting all over again with the recommended torque sequence. Rarely after doing the lug nut torque over the course of the first day of travel after having the wheels off do the nuts move when checking later on. I do not check torque every day of travel but will check if we have been on really bad roads, and even then may only have a couple nuts that will move less than a 1/4 turn. Have never had a lug break doing this either. This is the recommended lug nut procedure in the owners manual.

jim53066
08-28-2019, 06:18 PM
I would find some solid steel lug nuts and replace them all. You can get them chrome plated if you want. Take one into one of the better auto parts stores for fitment.

The lugs that are just covered with tin are going to be trouble sooner of later.
Jim

travelin texans
08-28-2019, 08:45 PM

Every time you loosen the lug nuts, you are starting all over again with the recommended torque sequence. Rarely after doing the lug nut torque over the course of the first day of travel after having the wheels off do the nuts move when checking later on. I do not check torque every day of travel but will check if we have been on really bad roads, and even then may only have a couple nuts that will move less than a 1/4 turn. Have never had a lug break doing this either. This is the recommended lug nut procedure in the owners manual.

As with trucks, tires or a number of other subjects there are differing opinions on this, so let the debates begin, then you choose the method that works for you.(QUOTE)
As I said!
Any auto parts store should have or can order solid chrome lug nuts, could get pricey for several sets, but readily available.

Bamabox
08-29-2019, 03:01 AM
Metric vs SAE. Tire shops and many shops can’t be bothered taking the time to use the correct socket. Slap em on. Round the corners.

Roscommon48
08-29-2019, 03:45 AM
Just get the right socket and buy solid stainless steel lugs...get them on Amazon.

Not a big deal, around $100 for 32 of them.

And you don't have to toque each time, just check periodically.