PDA

View Full Version : RV's Fifth vs Travel Trailer

Djfred60
08-25-2019, 08:11 AM
Im looking for some advice. Hubby and I are looking to purchase our first RV. We are intending to go full time in the near future. Have been looking for a year and not sure. Fifth looks sturdier. The Cougar appears to be built stronger. As we are looking to boondock or dry camping, any suggestions as to which seems to be better. I have read Alpine is good. We were first looking into under 30 ft, now may go to 34ft. Also have 2 fur babbies 65lbs and 35lbs. Of course, money is always a concern. Also thinking used. Im all ears or eyes in this case. Thank in advance.

CaptnJohn
08-25-2019, 08:24 AM
I’ve had a Cougar 5th. Sold it to a friend. It is a 2015 303 rls. Only sold to go to a bigger 5th. It has seen a lot of use and only a problem with the furnace on the 1st trip that Atwood sent a mobile tech that to fix. I looked at Alpine and bought Montana instead. Enjoy the search.

travelin texans
08-25-2019, 10:22 AM
The best one for you is the one that you decide fits the best.
Most 5th wheels are more roomy with more storage, which will be absolutely needed for full-timing, & IMHO tow better.
For boondocking in remote areas the TT will possibly fit better just due to not as tall, but requires a wider turning radius & very limited storage.
Whichever you chose it absolutely needs 2 air conditioners if over about 28', don't let ANYONE tell you otherwise.
Don't go too small! It can get very crowded on a rainy day if it's too small, BTDT!
From our experience boondocking a lot was great at 1st then a hand full of days per month boondocking was enough & after a few months we quit altogether. At 1st it was like camping before retirement, then it sank in that this is home not a vacation & preferred finding places with at least water & electric. I'm not trying to discourage you from anything, it's just that it's a new adventure & sounds good NOW, but life changes & so do our best laid plans.
If you already have a tow vehicle it may be the limiting factor in type & size RV. Do your own homework as to weights, DO NOT listen to RV/truck salesman giving you advice on this matter, they just want to sell you something & could care less if it's a good fit. "Half ton towable" does not guarantee your 1/2 ton can tow it safely. Dry RV weights mean NOTHING to anyone, max truck tow weight means NOTHING, look at the sticker on your vehicles drivers door post to get the truck numbers & only use the GVWR from the RV for it's numbers.

Canonman
08-25-2019, 10:58 AM
Gotta chime in with Danny on this one. We've had both a 27' bumper pull and now a 30' Cougar. The Cougar has a 27' box and roughly 3' of overhang. IMHO pulling, set up and tear down are easier in the 5th wheel. As for tow vehicle, you'll need a higher capacity truck for the 5er. More trailer weight is carried in the truck than a bumper pull due to the towing configuration as well as the 5ers are taller, a little longer and therefore heavier.
We have a 3/4 ton Ram diesel and are at the very limit of our payload capacity so be careful when looking a pairing the two (TT/5er and tow vehicle). If I have the opportunity to upgrade I'd go 1 ton and not worry about it.
We dry camp over 1/2 the time we're out and love the extra room it provides between neighbors. We have used RV parks but the "side to slide, nose to tail, parking lot feel is for us is something we try to avoid.
Our upgrade from TT to 5th wheel was driven by us retiring and spending more days camping. DW wanted more room and the 5th wheel did that without adding much length behind the truck. We've both been real happy with the move. Good Luck with your search:)

Big1
08-25-2019, 10:17 PM
Yep, it pretty much have been said and let us know what you decide, like someone said do not listen to the dealers they just want to sell you something.

LHaven
08-25-2019, 10:43 PM
When we went shopping last year to replace our travel trailer, I thought I wanted to "move up" to a 5er (but a smaller rig, given that we no longer needed the bunkhouse), and spent a lot of time looking at them. But we both got the impression that the upper level layouts we saw were uniformly cramped (I'm 6'6, 350) and each unit just "felt" smaller to us than a comparable travel trailer, so we ended up with a Cougar TT. Just another perspective.

rhagfo
08-26-2019, 04:42 AM
If you are looking at going to full time you should be looking for a 5er larger than 32', especially with a larger dog. We have been full time for 2-1/2 years in a 32' 5er and we are comfortable, but I would not go smaller.
Many will argue that you loose the use of the bed of the TV with a 5er. This is only partly true as you can still place a lot of "stuff" in the bed around the hitch. In addition you have the 5er basement which can be as large as the back of a pickup.

newemptynester
08-26-2019, 04:49 AM
As someone already said - it really comes down to what you want. Next time you go shopping, make a want list and a must have list. Don't budge on the must have list. Once you find the "must haves" then go to the wants.

I don't want a 5'er, I prefer a tow behind. Just my preference. I have seen a lot of 5'ers that I love, but not want. Just my thoughts, but it comes down to what you prefer.

jsb5717
08-26-2019, 05:05 AM
Do you have the TV? If not you have a blank canvas. Otherwise that will be your starting point (unless you're willing to change it to fit your RV choice).

Our first towable was a TT. Went with a 5er over 25 years ago and won't go back. It really does come down to personal preference. We like the liveability of the 5er with the upstairs bed. But if you're quite tall, like LHaven, then that will be an issue. I prefer towing a 5er...it's just more stable. The underbelly storage was a HUGE thing for me.

Make your list of Must-Haves and Deal-Breakers. One thing is for sure...whatever you get will likely lead you down the path of what you'll want in your next one. We found that you need to experience an RV for a while to really know what you want. But you have to start somewhere. Get what you like...enjoy and learn. It's a fun adventure.

cookinwitdiesel
08-26-2019, 06:45 AM
Hitching up a 5er is a breeze compared to a TT with a WDH. Truck will be a major consideration. If you already have a 3/4 ton, you can get pretty much any bumper pull on the market - and also almost NO 5ers (only the lightest ones). If you have a 1 ton SRW you have more options on 5ers. DRW should open up pretty much the entire field.

I have only a little experience compared to many here, but in my limited experience, the 5er is easier to drive and park.

fatcatzzz
08-26-2019, 07:01 AM
Buy the one you like. Your money, your choice.

wiredgeorge
08-26-2019, 07:49 AM
Almost everything has been laid out but I will say that if you full time, the height of bedroom area is something to look at. We have a 27' Cougar 5ver and put a full size residential queen on the platform to match the king in our house. Gotta say, the extra few inches puts the overhead cabinet into the danger zone when you sit up (bangs me in the head at least once every camping trip), can't hardly get around the bed and surely have to stoop over. If I were full timing, would look at pantry in kitchen, large bathroom not open to bedroom and enough headroom in the bedroom and room to walk around the bed. I also like to sit across from the TV in the living area and not look down towards the wall between the upper area and down area. A rear kitchen model gives more counter space which clutters up with coffee makers and water dispensers and such.

I have a 2002 Cougar and it is likely made a lot better than the new stuff if I read some of these threads correctly. We did put in vinyl floor through the trailer (except in the slide out) because we have critters and since there isn't any way to get those boots real clean in bad weather, all of the stuff come in with you and the critters.

travelin texans
08-26-2019, 08:02 AM
Almost everything has been laid out but I will say that if you full time, the height of bedroom area is something to look at. We have a 27' Cougar 5ver and put a full size residential queen on the platform to match the king in our house. Gotta say, the extra few inches puts the overhead cabinet into the danger zone when you sit up (bangs me in the head at least once every camping trip), can't hardly get around the bed and surely have to stoop over. If I were full timing, would look at pantry in kitchen, large bathroom not open to bedroom and enough headroom in the bedroom and room to walk around the bed. I also like to sit across from the TV in the living area and not look down towards the wall between the upper area and down area. A rear kitchen model gives more counter space which clutters up with coffee makers and water dispensers and such.

I have a 2002 Cougar and it is likely made a lot better than the new stuff if I read some of these threads correctly. We did put in vinyl floor through the trailer (except in the slide out) because we have critters and since there isn't any way to get those boots real clean in bad weather, all of the stuff come in with you and the critters.

Brings up good point about the television. We absolutely did not want any floorplan that you had to turn 90 degrees to watch, even if you only watch it a few minutes a day that position gets really old very quickly. We also preferred to look straight forward, not up to the ceiling or down at the floor.
We had one other preference, had to have a separate water closet, not out in the middle of the bathroom staring into the shower, but it's harder to find in smaller RVs.
For your 1st experience it may be beneficial to find a good used rv, either 5th wheel or TT, they usually have most of the bugs worked out, before spending a lot on new til you've decided whether full-time is for you or not. RVs are not a real good investments, they depreciate quickly

wiredgeorge
08-26-2019, 09:52 AM
The benefit of a used RV is also it will allow you to settle in on your druthers in a real-world camping environment. Stuff that drives me nuts wasn't noticed when we bought our first camper. Also realize that I suspect there is NO ONE PERFECT set up for a couple so some compromises are needed. Some can be overcome with a little money and sweat equity and some can be ignored. The ones that can't will become apparent after camping in a trailer a dozen times or so. One drawback of an older trailer like ours is that some of the stuff just deteriorates with age (me included). Plastic stuff in particular but most of that stuff is easy to fix and/or replace.

rsthomis
09-01-2019, 09:16 AM
Hi there, we're not experts by any means, but when we were shopping we were told that if you want to be a full timer you should look for a unit that is designated for full-time use, because it makes a difference for warranty and insurance purposes. Good luck!

Tatanka Ob Waci
09-01-2019, 09:40 AM
Go 5th wheel! You'll have more room, easier to pull and easier tear down and set up. Have an inverter installed if you're going to be boondocking a lot and also sufficient solar panels to charge your batteries. Look for something a couple of years old that someone else has worked out all the bugs. Size is up to you, but make sure you have a sufficient vehicle to tow with.

travelin texans
09-01-2019, 10:20 AM
Hi there, we're not experts by any means, but when we were shopping we were told that if you want to be a full timer you should look for a unit that is designated for full-time use, because it makes a difference for warranty and insurance purposes. Good luck!

Other than a hand full of the higher end 5ers there's not a lot of choice for "designated for full-time use" RVs out there.
As to warranty or insurance, don't tell either that you're full-time, pretty sure neither will come check whether you are or not.
Lived in ours for 10+ years & had a couple insurance claims along with a few warranty issues, not once did either say "oh by the way were you living it at the time?" & I didn't volunteer that information. Odds are if you have a claim or a warranty item it will happen or be found while you're using the RV, they don't have to know you use it all the time.

sourdough
09-01-2019, 10:41 AM
Some observations/comments;

If you've never done it bear in mind that "full timing" and "boondocking" have vastly different meanings and requirements.

Size: We don't, nor have we ever, full timed, but, we do spend about 5 1/2 months out at a time so we do have experience with "extended" stays. What we like is to have room to "breath", especially if inclement weather comes in and you're stuck inside for any length of time. Size wise we want no less than a 32' box and up to 35-36' (5th wheel only) just for the "feel". With 2 large dogs you will want as much space as you can get....and the TV to go with it.

5th vs bumper pull: this is a matter of preference for everyone. Having spent a lot of time in a 5th wheel and even more in a bumper pull here are my takes on it;

We currently have a bumper pull and have been looking for a 5th wheel that we might like better for going on 2 years - haven't found it and the entire field is open to us. Why?

A 5th does give you the feel of "spaciousness" that I like. The taller ceiling that is mandated to go higher for the elevated front gives you a more open feel that you appreciate when staying out for longer periods. On the other hand, we do not like the stairs or the elevated portion. The bathroom door, unless the "pivot" kind, is generally not well thought out IMO. With 7 surgeries on just one of my knees they don't like to contort to contend with that. The short ceiling in the front on anything less than a full height (DRW required) unit defeats the feel of "spaciousness" elsewhere. A front living area has been considered but a DRW truck is not in my future because I don't want one.

Another prime consideration for a change for me is an automatic leveling system. It sounds really nice but not only costs but can be problematic. I do not want an In Command system due to all the stories I've read about them and the comments made by dealer service depts. I agree that 5th wheels used to be easier to hook up/disconnect. Now, with backup cameras, levelmate pros, Andersen levelers and the current wdh/sway systems we can connect/disconnect/level in just about the same time as my friend can in his new 5vr when we arrive/leave at a destination.

Storage space: A 5th wheel does have more storage space in the front; some more than others dependent on the size and style of the trailer. That comes with a trade off - loss of bed space plus a very heavy 5th wheel hitch (generally). I have the same, probably more, storage between my covered bed and the pass thru on the trailer vs a 5vr.

Floorplan: Put a lot of thought into this aspect. It is what will make you happy or not in the end. For us we wanted frameless windows, porcelain toilet, free standing dinette, recliners, island and a kitchen/LR layout that allowed watching TV from not only the LR but from the kitchen so I could see while I cook among other things - important to me as that is sort of a hobby for me (cooking). I try to cook outside but if I'm cooped up I want to be able to see what's going on vs just listening to it.

Quality: If you are going to try to full time you need to look at one of the upper end models IMO. I have spent entire winters in an entry level trailer and can attest it can be done, but not without a lot of worry and broken "stuff" so just be aware. Quality in the various components, in my experience, will lead to fewer failures and a higher level of satisfaction with the unit over time.

TV: choose the trailer then choose the TV that will carry (not tow rating) that load with a good safety margin.

In the end, as most have said, the floorplan is what will make you happiest in the long run so give it a LOT of thought. From there just keep in mind that across all manufacturers they pretty much are all built the same at any given price point. Just some thoughts to ponder on a beautiful Sunday....:)

cookinwitdiesel
09-01-2019, 11:16 AM
Just a quick comment on full timing and warranties....some brands are built to a higher quality level than others. GD for example warrants every single trailer they make for full time use so you do not have to fret it.

belljo54
09-01-2019, 11:40 AM
I've lived part time in a TT and now own a 5th wheel that we live in for 1/2 the year. The bedroom closet space and underneath storage were key in our decision. Also, having hauled both types, I much prefer the stability of a 5er behind the truck. Also much easier hookup that I can do alone if necessary. (I've hooked up a TT alone and it's not fun!) Oh and we don't boondock - my camping days are over!

falcondan95705
09-01-2019, 12:14 PM
We have always had a 5th wheel. If I were to do it again, I'd look for a very nice kz, or some other brand. Not only less to buy, but may be alot less issues..unfortunately many here are not happy with th er lack of quality and problems with the newer thor products.. advice, dually, 5th wheel since you said full time. Some travel trailers like park models have lots of room .. good luck with your hunt..

larryflew
09-01-2019, 01:29 PM
Firstly our dogs are only 4 and 7 pounds but still need room. We started with a brand new TT 28 footer with one large slide. First year was OK (just one old Cocker Spaniel) for the 4 months we did from MN to AZ and the across to MS. Next year had a LOT of rainy days and both my wife and I agreed the trailer shrunk WAY too much. Traded for 37.5 Alpine and 1 ton GMC diesel. Been 7 years since then and was absolutely the best decision we have made. Yes its lots more $$ but we decided we deserve to be comfy and happy being warm for the winter so the kids will just have to deal with what we have when we go rather than cash. They will be fine. To each his own when it comes to TT vs 5th but I do need to say backing etc is easier with 37 5th than it was with 28 TT IMO. Storage is HUGE in 5th wheel. Keep us posted.

travelin texans
09-01-2019, 01:35 PM
We have always had a 5th wheel. If I were to do it again, I'd look for a very nice kz, or some other brand. Not only less to buy, but may be alot less issues..unfortunately many here are not happy with th er lack of quality and problems with the newer thor products.. advice, dually, 5th wheel since you said full time. Some travel trailers like park models have lots of room .. good luck with your hunt..

Just FYI, KZ is also a Thor subsidiary!
If you're not happy with Thor products it'll be difficult finding a brand that's not.

BobMcC
09-03-2019, 08:31 AM
My only word of caution is do make absolutely sure you get the THE CORRECT tow vehicle (TV) for your trailer weight - don't listen to salesmen. Do you home work. We have a 5er and ended up having to trade tow vehicles within a year because the trailer was heavier than the original TV should safely pull.