PDA

View Full Version : New ceiling vent fan

Kaptn Krabby
08-25-2019, 03:56 AM
I'm wanting to install a fan in one of my ceiling vents where there is none now. Will there be the required wiring to power a fan there at the opening? Any recommendations on which fan? I have a 2019 Outback.

fjr vfr
08-25-2019, 05:24 AM
Most likely not, but you didn't provide much detail for someone to give an educated opinion.

Which ceiling vent and what model Outback, etc. :confused:

chuckster57
08-25-2019, 05:27 AM
Odds are if there isn’t a powered fan in the vent then there isn’t any pre wiring done. Depending on which vent you want to add a fan to, you might be able to tap into another circuit close by.

Kaptn Krabby
08-25-2019, 09:35 AM
The vents are in the kitchen area and the bedroom. The bath has one of those small fans so I know there is wiring there. This is on a Outback 260 uml.

Canonman
08-25-2019, 11:30 AM
Easy to run power from the bathroom vent to the bedroom. Did that on the Cougar to install two Heng Vortex II fans. Chose the Heng since it fit the existing vent opening and didn't require any changes on the roof.
I'd look at running power from the fridge for the kitchen area. You can access a pretty open wire chase from the access hatch behind the fridge on the outside wall then into the ceiling. Might want to consider the real need in the kitchen since you have a fan over the stove to exhaust cooking fumes and the A/C fan for ventilation.

chuckster57
08-25-2019, 12:02 PM
Both fantastic fan and max air use the standard 14X14 vent opening, so your first decision is what features your looking for.

You could fish power from the bathroom or if your bedroom has ceiling lights with a switch on the light itself, you could draw from that. The kitchen area could be powered as Cannonman described, or again if there is a ceiling light nearby, use it.

kcamp99186
08-26-2019, 05:41 AM
Just replaced all 3 of my vents with Maxair Deluxe. Chosen for the built in rain hood. As you stated there was power already in the bathroom. In my bedroom, I ran power from the antenna amplifier in the ceiling. In my kitchen, I discovered a thick bundle of wires running directly behind the 14 x 14 inch opening. I tied my fan into a circuit of lights that I rarely use. Most time consuming part of the install was peeling the dicor from the old vents. It wasn't particularly difficult, however. Hope this helps and good luck with your install.

Big1
08-27-2019, 10:52 PM
I have the Deluxe Maxxair fan in my bathroom it work find.

mfifield01
08-28-2019, 09:23 AM
In the kitchen, I was able to tap off of the stove hood.

Paultherock
09-10-2019, 05:38 AM
I did both the bedroom and the kitchen. Fantastic fan basic and put my own reversing switch in each. Bedroom wiring came from bathroom fan, kitchen wiring came from exhaust hood fan/light.

ADQ K9
09-10-2019, 08:41 AM
I am going go with the Maxx Air vent covers and the Hengs Vortex 2 fans, As Cannonman said no need to make exterior roof modifications.
The exhaust fan on my range hood vents to the out side but I think it sucks more than it blows. With it on, and kitchen window open, we still set of the smoke detector occasionaly when cooking.