PDA

View Full Version : Fifth Wheel hitch question

Canadian Len
08-22-2019, 08:24 AM
I have just purchased a 2011 GMC 3500HD SWD with the crew cab and has the short 6.5 ft box. Is it necessary to install a slider fifth wheel hitch or will the stationary one be OK? I tow a Cougar 367FLR trailer.
Thanks, Len

Canonman
08-22-2019, 08:31 AM
You don't say if your GMC is a short bed, but on our Ram the bed is 6.5 ft. We use an Anderson Ultimate and no slider. Have made more than one U turn and tight backing turns with no issues.

Canadian Len
08-22-2019, 08:54 AM
It has the short bed. I edited the question. Thanks.

Frank G
08-22-2019, 09:26 AM
I have a slider and have never used it. Would not buy it again. I am not a Anderson fan either. Good lock with your choice. No matter what you decide it will be the right decision for you.

jimsny
08-22-2019, 09:37 AM
Have 2019 f250 6.5 ft bed. Towing a cougar 32bhs . Had a slider hitch never used it . Took slider out put in stationary hitch never had problem.

Ranchhand
08-22-2019, 11:07 AM
I have a 2011 Ram with a short box and last spring bought a 5th wheel and debated the same question. I ended up using a non slider hitch and have not been in a situation yet where I thought a slider hitch was necessary. Saying that. I definitely can’t turn 90 degrees more like 75 degrees on level ground. There is no doubt that the cab and the trailer could crash together if turning to tight or on unlevel ground. I did not buy a slider mostly due to the fact of the size and weight. I need to be able to take mine in and out on a regular basis. Do you have to have a slider hitch the answer is no. If you don’t pay attention when turning there is a chance that truck and trailer could come together with a non slider.

fjr vfr
08-22-2019, 02:09 PM
If your trailer is the newer type with the rounded corners you should be okay without a slider.
I have a Ram with the 6'4" box. I bought a slider and have never used it. Our 5th wheel has the rounded corners and I've turned 90 degs no issues.
BTW, I like to call it a standard bed verses a short bed because today they really do have short beds, like 5' and 5' 5". :)

GHen
08-22-2019, 02:12 PM
I have a 2017 Chevy 2500 short bed, don’t have a slider, never needed one.

I’m pretty sure the chevy’s are 6’6”.

My son has a Ram with a slider. Used it once to try it out, has not used it since.

Newer 5r’s have longer pin boxes and more angle to the cap. They call them 88 degree setups. Older 5r’s may need the slider.

I have read about a few people that have broken out a back window in their trucks, but that’s only when you get into a full 90 degree turn and at that point I would be more worried about bending an axel, springs or damaging tires. Pushing the rear tires sideways like that is just asking for trouble.

jsb5717
08-22-2019, 03:29 PM
I have the RAM short box and I love my Andersen...haven't had any issues. The pivot point is directly over the axle as it would be with a standard hitch. As a rule you shouldn't be turning tighter than 75-80 degrees anyway. I still pay attention if turning a little tighter but but have never had to turn so tight that I was at risk.

Get what you feel safe with and go camping!

Thomasbeau
08-23-2019, 05:35 AM
I have a 2002 F250 Supercab with the 6.5 short bed with a 16K Reese Slider. We used to tow a 2005 Forest River Wildcat. There was one time where I didn't slide back the hitch back and we ended up with a nice dent in the top corner of my truck cab. The Wildcat was fine but I did have to take a trip to the body shop to pull the dent out of the top cab corner. Never made that mistake again.

Now with our 2018 Hideout it appears that the pin is much further forward so it's less likely the Hideout and the truck will make contact. However, I always use the slider when hitching because when the hitch is in the forward position the open tailgate will hit the camper before the pin is in the hitch. If the hitch is forward I need to remember to back up the truck to get the tailgate past the pin, get out and close the tailgate, then proceed with hooking up. Should I have to adjust or pull forwarded I need to keep opening and closing the tailgate to avoid damaging the truck or the fifth wheel. In my experience it's easier to just slide my hitch in the back maneuvering position and only close the tailgate once when the process is finished. I then slide the hitch into the towing position and I am on the road. Once I get to the destination I can slide it to the back, unhitch and no worries.

Can I do this all without the slider? The answer is "yes" but I get more piece of mind knowing that my tailgate is down and there is no chance I will damage the tailgate or the RV.

CaptnJohn
08-23-2019, 08:24 AM
Get a 5er tailgate and everything is easy.

Thomasbeau
08-23-2019, 09:15 AM
CaptnJohn, easier said than done. My DW thinks the 5er tailgates are ugly. So in translation I should stop thinking about getting one, lol.

Roscommon48
08-23-2019, 09:34 AM
No you dont but always have wife out looking when in tight spots

jsb5717
08-23-2019, 11:30 AM
I'm curious how common of a problem this is. My previous rig was a 2000 Ford F250 short box and I had adequate clearance between the lowered tailgate and the 5er. My current set up is similar as I can walk behind the lowered tailgate with 5er attached.

Is the Hideout shorter in the nose? Just wondering.

jim1
08-23-2019, 11:52 AM
Hi, we have a 2011 Ram 3500 short box and a 2019 Cougar RLS 315 with a Reese Sidewinder rotating pin box. No worry's about hitting the cab and it backs up more like a TT than a 5er. It is like having your hitch 2' further back in the truck and it works very good.We had the same set up on our last 5er but it was a factory installed Reese revolution rotating pin box. Probably would do the same on my next rig to.

Big1
08-23-2019, 08:06 PM
B&W Companion hitch no slider with the SB as you can see in the pics I turn the pivot arm around so I can have about 2" back farther. Normally I don't get into though tight places we mainly go to RV Resort that have pretty good spaces.

I have a slider before I had this setup and I never use the slider so when I bought my new ram with the factory puck system I opt not getting the slider this time, so if I find myself getting into a place that I have to make a tight turn I will go out and do a better job on backing up.

boagey
08-25-2019, 09:58 AM
I have 2011 Chevrolet 2500 Duramax with a regular bed 6'5". I purchased a B&W Companion and use the gooseneck hitch that was in the truck, no rails or sliders.

larryflew
08-29-2019, 07:10 AM
Our rig in not a short bed but came with a slider. My driveway is steep and at an angle so I do use the slider. It keeps the trailer back far enough not to hit the bed rail and makes the turn much easier. Have never used it other than getting back home. I would have to raise the hitch at least 3 inches if not for the slider.

a&j
08-29-2019, 07:44 AM
I’ve had both. I started with the PullRite “auto” sliding hitch in my 2012 Chevy short bed (6 1/2 foot bed). I pull a Raptor 300MP which is a 2013 model. It has the “rounded up” corners and never came close to the two hitting, but then again the slider moved back 18 inches when turning and backing.
Last year I switched to the PullRite non sliding hitch which is like the Anderson hitch and I am much happier! I can remove the hitch by myself and don’t need to call upon my son-in-laws to help me remove or put the hitch back in!!!!
I sold my 2012 truck and just bought the 2020 Chevy and that difference is amazing as well! Good luck

BillMc
08-29-2019, 08:30 AM
When I bought my Fifth wheel, everybody told me to buy a slider. It has 2 positions, normal Drive and Maneuvering. After a couple of trips and sliding it back and forth I got tired of screwing with it and moved it into the Maneuver slot and it’s never been moved again in 12 years. No problems with weight on the truck axle or bouncing while driving.

Pizzafarmer
08-29-2019, 08:38 AM
I have a Chevy 3500 crew cab with a 6-1/2 foot bed and a Reese 20K hitch, pulling a Cougar 336BHS. I had the same hitch in a Chevy 2500 extended cab which had a bed that was closer to 7 feet and never had a problem with clearance to the nose of the camper no matter how tight I was turning. My usual pull through spot at home was too wet due to all the rain we got this year, so I had to back the unit into a tight spot and discovered that 6 inches less is enough to be a problem; I crushed the cab corner on the brand new truck because I was only watching the trailer wheels. The body shop advised me not to do that again, it was a bear of a job because they had to remove the box in order to get the paint to blend in ($$$). I'm considering adding a slider to my hitch but will have someone watch the cab when backing from here on.

CaptnJohn
08-29-2019, 08:55 AM
I feel your pain. I have a B&W slider in my new dually. It will never slide again in the 8’ box. If you had a B&W I’d trade but 1 Reese was enough for me. I’ll keep the slider unless someone with a B&W has a SB needs to trade.

cliff
08-29-2019, 08:59 AM
We had a 2008 Montana with a slider hitch that was necessary. Once I made a tight turn and blew out the back window when the cap hit the window. It had rounded corners, so I'd go with the slider.

falcondan95705
08-29-2019, 09:04 AM
take it from experience... get an auto slider, super glide or the other....I have learned the hard way...

itat
08-29-2019, 09:49 AM
If you already have a standard hitch you might consider getting a Reese Sidewinder pinbox that moves the pivot point about 22” back from the pin. LCI makes a knockoff but I’m generally not a fan of LCI’s products.

jsb5717
08-29-2019, 09:55 AM
Or...if you do already have a standard hitch you could hook everything up and check your tolerances before spending any more money. Then you'll know what you can or can't do and make a good decision from there.

scarlson42
08-29-2019, 11:35 AM
I have a 2002 F250 Supercab with the 6.5 short bed with a 16K Reese Slider. We used to tow a 2005 Forest River Wildcat. There was one time where I didn't slide back the hitch back and we ended up with a nice dent in the top corner of my truck cab. The Wildcat was fine but I did have to take a trip to the body shop to pull the dent out of the top cab corner. Never made that mistake again.

Now with our 2018 Hideout it appears that the pin is much further forward so it's less likely the Hideout and the truck will make contact. However, I always use the slider when hitching because when the hitch is in the forward position the open tailgate will hit the camper before the pin is in the hitch. If the hitch is forward I need to remember to back up the truck to get the tailgate past the pin, get out and close the tailgate, then proceed with hooking up. Should I have to adjust or pull forwarded I need to keep opening and closing the tailgate to avoid damaging the truck or the fifth wheel. In my experience it's easier to just slide my hitch in the back maneuvering position and only close the tailgate once when the process is finished. I then slide the hitch into the towing position and I am on the road. Once I get to the destination I can slide it to the back, unhitch and no worries.

Can I do this all without the slider? The answer is "yes" but I get more piece of mind knowing that my tailgate is down and there is no chance I will damage the tailgate or the RV.
We have an F350 shortbed. My experience is similar to that of Thomasbeau. With a standard pin box and non-sliding hitch, 75 degrees was about the maximum turning angle. After replacing the pin box with the “long jaw” Flex Air by Lippert, we can come close to a 90 degree angle without sliding the hitch. Summary: with an extended pin box, you may not need a sliding hitch, but having the sliding hitch and not needing it is cheaper than repairs to the trailer and cab when you need it.

Rbpinney
08-29-2019, 11:38 AM
We have the Pull Rite auto slider. Works great. No problems.

philiprmcgovern
08-29-2019, 01:12 PM
Having broken out two rear windows in my short box F250 and having put a sizeable dent in each side of the cab when the nose of the High Country met up with the cab of the truck in the same year, I know whereof I speak. The really comical part is that I had the B&W slider hitch installed when these little catastrophes happened. The problem was that I was too stupid or too lazy to get out of the truck and pull the slider lever on the hitch — both times! My advice would be to get the slider and, more importantly, to USE it whenever you just think that you might possibly need it. Replacing the two rear windows and fixing the two self-inflicted “dimples” was not cheap. Just saying.....

PS: We have since moved up to an F350 DRW

ckittila
08-29-2019, 01:20 PM
Take a look at the Blue Ox Superglide. It needs a gooseneck hitch in your bed, but it is a manual slider also. I have this hitch on my short bed Ram megacab. I’ve never needed to pull the slide, but nice to know it’s available.

This hitch rides nice! It disassembles in 3 pieces that are about 40 lbs each. I really like this setup for my Fiver.

taxrew
08-29-2019, 01:38 PM
:)I have a 2018 GMC 2500 pulling a Cougar 2018 310rls 5th wheel using the Reese Sidewinder. Have not had any problems with real tight spots.

Park1911
08-29-2019, 06:13 PM
I have an Automatic slider from PullRite. It works great and I never have to worry. It costs more but it is worth every dollar.

slow
08-29-2019, 06:41 PM
I have an Automatic slider from PullRite. It works great and I never have to worry. It costs more but it is worth every dollar.

Ditto on the Pullrite Superglide.

Randallf
08-29-2019, 08:30 PM
My opinnion is you won't have to worry about hitting your cab when making a sharp turn
i know a few people that wished they had a slider
Now, with that said, the Anderson Hitch is a good way to go. I would look into that.
If you go with a slider i would look into the auto slider, will worth it. The pull rite is a great one. I have it and i really have no worries about hitting the cab, or i don't have to get out and unlatch it to back in spots, and no worries about sharp turns.
RandaLLF

Local150
09-04-2019, 05:36 PM
Probably dumb question but what is the automatic slider and how does it work

chuckster57
09-04-2019, 06:17 PM
Probably dumb question but what is the automatic slider and how does it work

An automatic slider will move back away from the cab as you turn. The more you turn, the further back it moves. It does require a “capture plate” of some nature to lock the kingpin in position. Pullrite uses a plate that is mounted to the pin box. Demco uses two bars on the “horseshoe” to lock the pin box in position.

Both use a mechanism underneath that forces the hitch to move back as it rotates. Since the pin box is “locked” into position, the king pin can’t rotate, so the whole hitch assembly rotates and moves back. Once you going straight, the hitch rotates back to the forward most position.

In a standard fifth wheel hitch, the pin box rotates on the king pin. In a manual slider, the pin box rotates on the king pin, but the hitch is on rails. There is a locking handle that allows you to move the hitch assembly back away from the cab for “maneuvering” or forward for “towing”.

Hope your not totally confused.

Local150
09-04-2019, 06:43 PM
An automatic slider will move back away from the cab as you turn. The more you turn, the further back it moves. It does require a “capture plate” of some nature to lock the kingpin in position. Pullrite uses a plate that is mounted to the pin box. Demco uses two bars on the “horseshoe” to lock the pin box in position.

Both use a mechanism underneath that forces the hitch to move back as it rotates. Since the pin box is “locked” into position, the king pin can’t rotate, so the whole hitch assembly rotates and moves back. Once you going straight, the hitch rotates back to the forward most position.

In a standard fifth wheel hitch, the pin box rotates on the king pin. In a manual slider, the pin box rotates on the king pin, but the hitch is on rails. There is a locking handle that allows you to move the hitch assembly back away from the cab for “maneuvering” or forward for “towing”.

Hope your not totally confused.
Thanks had no idea how it worked

rhagfo
09-05-2019, 04:49 AM

CaptnJohn, easier said than done. My DW thinks the 5er tailgates are ugly. So in translation I should stop thinking about getting one, lol.

Well the OP's TV is old enough that he may loose nothing with a 5er TG. If I placed one on our 2016 Ram I would loose the backup camera and an auto locking tail gate. I also have a roll up bed cover so I also loose the dry bed. With our old 2001, had the 5er TG, but don't see the advantage any longer.

Keithw
09-05-2019, 11:02 AM
I crushed a cab corner by learning the hard way. Brand new Chevy 3500. My raptor has rounded corners. If you mount it correctly the hitch pin should be straight up from the axle which does not leave much room on a regular box.
B&W Patriot 18K is a manual slide and I use it ever time I back into my long winding driveway. I chalk my wheels on camper and lock into place. It is a two piece deal so it can be removed fairly easy. Still takes 2 people but I do it every fall and put back in every spring. Good luck!

OregonDuck
09-17-2019, 09:56 PM
Would love to hear any comments from pullrite owners on the capture plate. I've heard that it can be an issue, in that you have to back completely straight to hitch up. Have any of you been in unlevel or angled campsites where this became an issue?

Roscommon48
09-18-2019, 03:14 AM
oregon duck why don't you create a new thread, you might get more comments about your pullrite question.

jsmith948
09-18-2019, 05:28 AM
You can't make a 90 degree turn with a short box truck and a fifth wheel - period. Simple rule of physics..."two objects of mass cannot occupy the same space at the same time".:facepalm:

Measure the distance from the center of your king pin to the edge of your trailer - it will be 48" (more if your trailer is a wide body model). Now, measure the distance from the center of your fifth wheel hitch jaws to the back of your cab - it will be less than 48".

When I installed our Reese hitch, the manual called for the center line of the king pin to be indexed 2 5/16" forward of the centerline of the rear axle. I don't remember the measurement from the centerline of the pin to the back of the cab - but, it's way less then 48". I don't have to slide the hitch very often - but I'm glad I have it when I need it. :)

OregonDuck
09-18-2019, 07:55 AM
oregon duck why don't you create a new thread, you might get more comments about your pullrite question.

Good point; can do!

falcondan95705
09-19-2019, 03:20 PM
Had 2017 ram megacab with Anderson ultimate. New montana 2015. Cab and trailer met blasting out window and debuting cab. Anderson said they'd help, the nothing! Just crickets.. if u dont want to think about it, get a pull rite or the other auto slider..

Randallf
09-19-2019, 08:01 PM
Fords don't come with a 6.5 bed. My 2016 silverado has a 6.5 bed and i use a slider hitch and it works great. lots of clearance when i back in my driveway and its is a true 90 degree turn.
My problem is i have a folding tonneau cover that gets hit with the bottom of the fifthwheel
I was told that the pull rite is set at the highest it can go.
So i guess i have to remove it whwen i travel with the fithwheel
randall

Randallf
09-19-2019, 08:05 PM
Not true, you havea 10 degree on each side to get connected.
I been there and had no trouble hooking up.
Randallf
2017 sprinter 34.6'

Mic
09-20-2019, 11:47 AM
exactly....

"Now with our 2018 Hideout it appears that the pin is much further forward so it's less likely the Hideout and the truck will make contact. However, I always use the slider when hitching because when the hitch is in the forward position the open tailgate will hit the camper before the pin is in the hitch. If the hitch is forward I need to remember to back up the truck to get the tailgate past the pin, get out and close the tailgate, then proceed with hooking up. Should I have to adjust or pull forwarded I need to keep opening and closing the tailgate to avoid damaging the truck or the fifth wheel. In my experience it's easier to just slide my hitch in the back maneuvering position and only close the tailgate once when the process is finished. I then slide the hitch into the towing position and I am on the road. Once I get to the destination I can slide it to the back, unhitch and no worries