PDA

View Full Version : Coming out of Crater Lake NP

theasphaltrv'er
08-16-2019, 04:35 AM
Did some searching but no find any info on here.
DW & I are gonna be headed up through central Oregon from the Lassen Volcanic NP area the first part of September. We plan on staying 3 nights at Mazama Village CG at Crater Lake NP. When we leave out of there we plan on continuing to head up hiway 97 through Bend and up to a campground near Government Camp Oregon and then on into Washington.
My question is... When we leave out of Mazama Village, hoping we don't have to back track down through Ft. Klamath toward Chiloguin, how is the West Rim Drive north around the west side of Crater Lake pulling a 30 ft. 5er?
Mountain driving is no problem as we do 70-80% of our towing in the Southern Rockies of Southwestern Colorado (8-10,000 ft elevations). Just asking bout what kind of road it is and would anyone for see any potential dangers towing on that road. In other words is it anything like Hiway 550 between Silverton & Ouray Colorado cuz I aren't allowed to tow over that stretch of hiway (DW says). But we have been towing all over the other mountainous hiways this country has to offer.

P.S. I do consult our copy of Mountain Directory West bunches in our travels but nothing on that road.

Thanks
Milo

Canonman
08-16-2019, 06:45 AM
It's not the "Million Dollar" highway. You will be seeing some traffic and it may be slow around the rim but very doable. I'd check with the Park Ranger office just to see if there is any construction or restrictions. Beautiful place to visit. and I thought the campground was great!

theasphaltrv'er
08-18-2019, 04:36 AM
Thanks Canonman..