PDA

View Full Version : Avalanche dark colors

Jim55
08-13-2019, 07:34 PM
Do any of you Avalanche owners feel the dark colors of the unit causes a problem with it absorbing too much heat in the sun. The black walls on the slides would just seem to absorb an an enormous amount of heat.

Thanks Jim

Alpine
08-13-2019, 09:26 PM
I have neither an Avalanche or the black slide-out wall coverings. I have seen many times that those with the black walls are covering them with the Double Bubble Aluminum Insulation cut to size....only when parked. Seems kind of a chore to attach & removing before bringing in the slide. So that sorta answers your question of whether the black makes things hotter inside.

bearcat77
08-14-2019, 05:37 AM
We have a new Laredo with the black slide walls. I don’t know how much the wall color contributes, but I can tell you the slides get ridiculously hot. We’ve had to resort to going back to using coolers because the refrigerator can’t compete with the outside temp. The kitchen cabinets above and next to the refrigerator feel closer in temperature to the outside vs the inside. The rest of the camper is nice and chilly, so I’m guessing Keystone failed to adequately insulate the slide walls. The main project for this winter will be to figure out how to keep the refrigerator cold. I’m guessing it will need all the help it can get, ie: extra fans, insulation, a slide topper, and maybe a white vent cover instead of black.

goducks
08-14-2019, 11:18 AM
I had an SOB 5th wheel with the dark brown front cap. It faded badly so I had it painted the light creamy tan color that the sides were. Much cooler up in the bedroom. We now have a white TT with a white front cap. It stays warm but the AC will cool it much faster. I'm guessing that the AC's not fighting the dark heat absorbing color.

Jim55
08-14-2019, 11:24 AM
Thanks for the replies.

Bearcat, I have slide toppers on my present RV and like them very much. They help keep the rig cool, greatly reduce the chance for slide out leaks, and eliminate the need to clean off the slide before pulling it in.

Jim