PDA

View Full Version : Black water tank not draining

MsKitty76
08-13-2019, 09:23 AM
Ok. It's me again. I got my toilet working. Now, I've had septic people out twice to drain my black water tank. Once about 6 weeks ago, and again today. Both times they didn't get much if anything. I'm home all day, so I know that tank gets used a lot. Why are they not able to get anything out of it? What do I need to check?

I have an 08 outback Sydney edition

KeithInUpstateNY
08-13-2019, 10:31 AM
If you are going six weeks between emptying your black tank I suspect you aren't using enough water. I can go about 2-2 1/2 weeks, and I'm single. The solids don't have enough liquid to dissolve and are staying in the tank.

If it was just emptied now is a good time to turn off the water, open the toilet valve and shine a flashlight down into the tank. If you see "stuff" and don't see the smooth plastic bottom of the tank you have a problem that is only going to get worse if you aren't proactive.

MsKitty76
08-13-2019, 11:26 AM
Thank you. I'll check that when I get back home.

gearhead
08-17-2019, 05:49 AM
Water water water and more water when you flush the toilet. Might try some Dawn liquid dish soap and Downey liquid fabric softener as well. Assume you are using a RV/Marine toilet paper?

travelin texans
08-17-2019, 08:50 AM
Water water water and more water when you flush the toilet. Might try some Dawn liquid dish soap and Downey liquid fabric softener as well. Assume you are using a RV/Marine toilet paper?

You don't have to pay dearly for RV/marine tp as long as it's "septic safe" printed on the package, not a bazillion plys & use plenty of water.
Been rving for 40+ years, the last 10 full-time & have never "bought" RV tp, they've given us a package when we bought the last 2 rvs (that the DW hated using) & never had an issue with using regular tp.
If you're having the honey wagon empty your tank you must be at a stationary spot that doesn't have sewer hook ups, so filling, rinsing, adding soap/softener then driving around a bit won't work. You might buy/make a wand to stick through the toilet opening while the truck is attached & give it a good fill/rinse several times.
One other possibility is that with their 4000-5000 gallon truck emptying your 40+/- gallon tank it will seem as though they got nothing, wouldn't register on their gauge. If you're going 6 weeks you either don't use it much, you have a huge holding tank or it's going somewhere else.
You possibly have the dreaded "poop pyramid" built up in there not allowing it to completely drain.

MsKitty76
08-17-2019, 09:49 AM
We actually don't put any paper in the tank, unless it slips and we drop it. It goes into a trash can in the bathroom.
The rv us parked in the driveway of my grandparents old house that Dad inherited. We were living in the house, had to replace the dining room floor and found lots of mold (which severely messed with my asthma), so we bought the rv to live in.
We have the grey water draining out into a field by the house. I don't THINK the black water is draining with it. The septic guy thinks either the handle is broken, or the water is drying out and it's just solids...

Pete54401
08-17-2019, 11:06 AM
We have the grey water draining out into a field by the house. I don't THINK the black water is draining with it. The septic guy thinks either the handle is broken, or the water is drying out and it's just solids...

Here may be the problem and the answer... always drain your black tank first and then the gray tank. You may also want to run a hose into your toilet when draining the black tank (NOT the fresh water hose). A lot of RV's these days have a hose hookup on the exterior that is used to help flush the black tank.

ajk170
08-17-2019, 11:50 AM
MsKitty76- I suggest you go to Home Dep@t or your favorite home improvement store or even the king of online retailers that is a rain forrest in Brazil and order an inspection scope. I have the one made by Rigid but there are a lot out there that are less expensive than the Rigid and even Harb@r Freight has some inexpensive ones. Then take that scope and put the camera end down through the toilet and see what's down there. It may not be pretty, but if your question is "Why aren't they getting anything..." then this will help you better understand what's going on. If you put that scope down the tank and it's as clean as the day you bought it, then your Honey-suckers poo guys are wrong in telling you they aren't getting anything and the Travel Texan is right in saying that big truck can't really tell. If you put that scope down your tank and your tank looks like a mud bog and something may jump up and snatch the scope and your hand with it, then everybody here is right in saying you're not using enough water - and don't tell us about any poo monsters that snatch the scope because that would just be disturbing!

But without being able to put "eyes-on" the inside of that tank, you're really shooting in the dark. If you don't want to spend the money on the scope- then take everyone's advice here and use A LOT of water (a gallon of water at least if not two) when flushing solids and know that when they suck it out, there won't be any poo-monsters lurking in your tank!

gearhead
08-17-2019, 06:00 PM
Danny the wife likes the Scott's RV paper. I'm like...whatever works for you baby.