PDA

View Full Version : How often do you use your camper every year??

theboneskes
08-12-2019, 11:15 AM
Just curious how often you guys use your campers/TT/5ers every year?

We are on our 7th trip( usually 3 day weekends) this year, and have had one week out camping on top of that this year. We only went 8 times last year.

I heard the average use is like 3 or 4 times. Cant see the point of owning one: paying for it, Storage, Insurance, Payment, etc.... only using it that few of times. But curious to know how often some of you get out?

SummitPond
08-12-2019, 11:23 AM
This seems to be our usual routine:

Nov - Apr: at least once a month for 2-3 days
May: usually on the road the full month, maybe a little more
Jun - Sep: maybe 2 to 3 weekends
Oct: a week plus at least one weekend

I guess it helps that we are also retired.

We know it's not inexpensive to own a TT, but we go places we'd never go without it, go more often and stay longer, and don't have to put up with motel beds that feel like elephants have been stampeding on them.

FlyingAroundRV
08-12-2019, 11:44 AM
We use ours a solid 3 months every year. Anything less is uneconomic for us.

spade117
08-12-2019, 11:58 AM
Since I live along Lake Ontario and in one of the snowiest cities in the US, the camping season here runs at best from April-November...at least in my head, as quite a few places do not open until May and close by mid October.

Over the last 6-7 years, I'd say we average 8-10 trips per season, most of which are 3 nights in length. Some are 5-7 nights, and once a while a 2 night trip.

OregonDuck
08-12-2019, 12:26 PM
Being in the PNW, we seem to be able to enjoy our rig year-round. That said, with work and kids schedules, we aim for once a month. Idea is, if I pay for it (and storage) once a month, we should at least use it once a month :)

larryflew
08-12-2019, 12:44 PM
Typically just a winter LONG trip like MN to MS to TX to AZ and back to MN that lasts from NOV to April. We never used it in summer so we though we would put it in a park near us by a lake. Been there 4 time arghhhhh, just too much going on with grand kids etc. Next year back to storage for the summer and possible long weekends. Really too bad as the lake lot has a huge deck with patio and fire-pit built in and nice views of the lake from out back window.

Customer1
08-12-2019, 01:39 PM
So far this year ~120 nights but will be about another 60 nights by the end of the year.

linux3
08-12-2019, 01:42 PM
Interesting question.
We usually get our TT out of storage in late April and head South. Rochester NY you gotta head South.
We only do 4 or so trips a year but they are 3 to 4 weeks per trip.
OK, OK ONE 3 day at a near buy campground for their annual wine tour and general adult beverage imbibe.

rjniles
08-12-2019, 03:48 PM
Florida for 3 weeks in the winter, 5-6 other trips of 4-7 days. We also use as guest room for friends.

captcolour
08-12-2019, 04:09 PM
As someone who is not retired, want to use it once per month for up to a week May thru October. Did that the first 2 years. This year will only be once in August and once or twice in October. Life gets in the way sometimes.

Huntme
08-12-2019, 07:13 PM
I Deer hunt,Elk hunt,Bear hunt,Cougar hunt,camp at lake,Coast,mountain,so about 35,days and nights each year,so not too much I guess.

Huntme
08-12-2019, 07:16 PM
and the Boss,had to be comfortable,or my life is not good,so I keep the wife comfortable.

Kylemcmahon1
08-13-2019, 06:45 AM
I work 50 hours or more a week and only get 2 weeks vacation a year. We use ours for a weekend around once a month and one or two holiday summer weekends a year plus one big trip for a week or week and half sometime during the year. Generally the long trip is 6 to 15 hour drive and weekend trips are 1 to 3 hours away. We love in central Arkansas.

mwemaxxowner
08-13-2019, 06:47 AM
If I had to pay for storage, I wouldn't want one if I didn't use it much. I live where I can keep it on my property. We chose an older used camper that we could pay cash for. If we don't use it much, no big deal. In the past I only ever used one 3 or 4 times a year, but I suspect now with this one it's going to be different. We've located 2 campgrounds close to home that are pretty cheap ($30-$35/night). One 20 min from home one about 45. The further one we stayed in a few weeks ago and liked it very much. The closer one we're trying out this weekend. I went there as a kid and it was nice then, I suspect it's only gotten better. Couple nice playgrounds, horse shoe pits, kayak/paddle boat rentals, volleyball, swim area, etc.

I would imagine we'll have 3 or 4 "big" trips each year (4-7 days to mountains, beach, etc) with many smaller weekend trips to the closer campgrounds sprinkled here and there. The only "bill" I will have to own the camper is insurance.

I think for about 2 grand a year we can leave it set up on an annual site at one of the local campgrounds I mentioned. We may look into that in the future, and would be able to get away to it any and every weekend. When we want to haul it elsewhere just go pick it up.

newemptynester
08-13-2019, 07:24 AM
We both work our 40's each week but we go out 7 maybe 8 times per year. DH is on 4 10's so we can leave when I get off work on Friday. We do two 7 - 10 day trips and then the rest are 3 day weekends (F - Sun). We have several great state campgrounds close to us so we utilize them frequently.

CrazyCain
08-13-2019, 07:36 AM
We try to use ours 1 or 2 times a month, with a few 5 day trips through the summer. We also use it every other weekend during the winter because we store it in UPPER Michigan and have use of electricity and a bath house....

:popcorn:

KeithInUpstateNY
08-13-2019, 07:41 AM
This is my fourth summer boondocking in a State Forest from early May until the end of October, so about 5-6 months. I'm only about half an hour from home so I go home once a week or so for the day to mow and do laundry.

Carrottop
08-13-2019, 07:55 AM
This is our first season parking ours at a seasonal campsite. We have used it almost every weekend since the May long. I think we have missed one weekend so far this summer.

LHaven
08-13-2019, 10:44 AM
We're coming up on the first anniversary of our purchase date. In that year, we have gone on a single (three-week) trip with our rig (to be fair, I did not retire until June), and the trailer has been to the dealer for various warranty repairs seven times. We planned a second three-day trip to introduce the grandtot to RVing, which turned into "driveway camping" because of failed brakes. An incredibly poor batting average.

mfifield01
08-13-2019, 12:18 PM
I'm in the debate of selling vs. keeping right now. Life tends to get in the way (work travel and kid's activities). We have camped 25 days this year. The best time to camp is during the fall, but the kids will be in school have activities. I feel like 2 day camping trips are more like 1.5 days.

wiredgeorge
08-13-2019, 02:38 PM
We camp about once a month in triple digit temps and a couple times a month during the spring/fall (each is about 3 days here in South Texas) and camp more in the winter when temps are pretty moderate. I don't know why we camp as I generally sit in my lazyboy recliner and watch Dish TV while at home I generally sit in my Lazyboy recliner and watch Dish TV. i too have an older 2002 Cougar and have lots of room to park it (actually have a pad on the property) so not much in the way of money outlay except diesel fuel, insurance and an occasional RV part now and again. We used to stay in motels and traveled around by bike but can't put in as many miles on the road these days due to age related heat aversion. We also have a 20 year old 3 lb. totally blind chihuahua that we can't leave at home with a dog sitter (well I could and my opinion on this subject isn't required) making the RV much more convenient than the bike (trike now actually) as we take little Miss Pippy on all trips.

maccam1
08-13-2019, 04:41 PM
Average 6 to 8 trips a season,2 to 3 night trips,with at least 2 full week trips

Gegrad
08-13-2019, 04:49 PM
We aim for once each month during the season, from March/April through October. Not gonna get there this year due to our moving from NC to PA, but gonna get 3 more times this year after getting an Easter trip in.

foszoe
08-13-2019, 09:20 PM
I get a week off every 6 weeks so we try to go out 6-8 times a year on those weeks and I take vacation the following week so 4-5 times its two weeks.

mwemaxxowner
08-14-2019, 02:14 AM
A week every 6?? Holy cow that's awesome!

I get two a year. Lol

spade117
08-14-2019, 06:33 AM
I feel like 2 day camping trips are more like 1.5 days.

Yep, which is why I go by nights instead of days.

Arriving Friday afternoon and leaving Sunday morning almost seems like a waste to me, which is why the 2 night trips are very rare for us these days.

I also have a personal rule that I use for any place that is over a 2 hr drive away:

Hours driven has to be less than or equal to the amount of nights we stay.

For example, if it takes me 3 hrs to drive there, we have to stay at least 3 nights.

mwemaxxowner
08-14-2019, 06:44 AM
I'm pretty happy to be able to drive up Friday afternoon (maybe sneak out of work a little early) and then leave later Sunday afternoon to come home if it's a short drive. (And cheap)

aysstephanie
08-14-2019, 10:50 AM
From late April until the snow flies, as much as we can! So far this season, we have only missed 3 weekends.

If we can't get away for the weekend, we have been known to set up in the backyard :)

66joej
08-14-2019, 01:58 PM
We do 3 nights about twice a month April - Sept. Always go mid week as it is easier to get a site. Mid Oct. head down to AZ for the winter. Yes we are retired.

foszoe
08-15-2019, 02:42 PM
A week every 6?? Holy cow that's awesome!

I get two a year. Lol

Its a common shift schedule in the utility business.
we work 48, 72, 48 hrs for weeks 1,2, and 3.
off week 4.
Then we have a 32 and 40 hour week 5 and 6.

Most of us take off week 5 using 32 hours of vacation and get 2 weeks off out of every 6 weeks.

It all averages out to a 40 hour work week over the 6 week schedule.

mwemaxxowner
08-16-2019, 06:39 AM
That's still awesome. I used to work a 3 day weekend schedule for a Walmart distribution center which was a pretty sweet schedule.

dennisc
08-18-2019, 07:14 AM
We Are Seasonal Campers And Use Ours Every Weekend From May To Oct .

LV_Tom
08-18-2019, 07:22 AM
This is the kind of decision that each person has to make. We started camping in a 10 x 10 tent, working our way up through a tent trailer, TT then a used, but clean, Class A MH. We sold the class A after 3 years to a couple that offered me a lttile more than I paid for it. Couldn't pass that up... We were "without" for about 5 years. When we retired into an age restricted community the RV Club attracted us. We opted for a high end Cougar TT, that we paid cash for. Except for normal repairs (and some not-so-normal one's) we don't look at how many times we use it. Some years we run the wheels off of it. Other years not so much. Half of the RV Club is high end Class A motorhomes and I'm constantly bombarded to buy one so that I can impress everyone. I'm impressed with the fact that we have a very nice camper that is paid for, doesn't cost me any monthly storage fee and allows us to go on 2 to 3 cruises each year. Would I like to have a nice new 5th wheel .... sure, but I know what all of the quirks of my travel trailer are, why should I have to learn and solve the problems with a new rig?

AlaskaJeff
08-18-2019, 07:27 AM
Having lived in Alaska all of my life, I am now retired and can leave for the winters. I get out of here every winter for about six months and head south. I stay in my 5th wheel and travel around, making sure there is no snow involved in my destinations!

pdaniel
08-18-2019, 07:43 AM
12 months. We only full-time, however, in the winter as snowbirds. But still use the RV all year

duh1
08-18-2019, 07:45 AM
Five months straight when we retired. Then minimum of three months ever since then (5 years ago) plus two or three week outings in between. If you are not going to use it, sell it. We conservatively have put about 70,000 miles on it since purchase in 2010. Going to go as much as we can while we can.

pdaniel
08-18-2019, 07:49 AM
This is the kind of decision that each person has to make. We started camping in a 10 x 10 tent, working our way up through a tent trailer, TT then a used, but clean, Class A MH. We sold the class A after 3 years to a couple that offered me a lttile more than I paid for it. Couldn't pass that up... We were "without" for about 5 years. When we retired into an age restricted community the RV Club attracted us. We opted for a high end Cougar TT, that we paid cash for. Except for normal repairs (and some not-so-normal one's) we don't look at how many times we use it. Some years we run the wheels off of it. Other years not so much. Half of the RV Club is high end Class A motorhomes and I'm constantly bombarded to buy one so that I can impress everyone. I'm impressed with the fact that we have a very nice camper that is paid for, doesn't cost me any monthly storage fee and allows us to go on 2 to 3 cruises each year. Would I like to have a nice new 5th wheel .... sure, but I know what all of the quirks of my travel trailer are, why should I have to learn and solve the problems with a new rig?
Not to throw rocks or offend in any way, I had a Cougar TT that i had thought that when I bought it as a "high end" TT. We kept that TT for less than two years trading it in for a competitor's fifth wheel. The Cougar was nice, but, not quite an RV that was suitable for snowbirding (inefficient insulation, contrary to what Keystone bragged and very inefficient heating system).

Brantlaker
08-18-2019, 08:30 AM
We live in ours 4 months out of the year in Florida. The DW and I are looking for a 26-30ft TT or 5'er for small trips 3-5 days over the Summer to visit with our Winter friends East of the Mississippi and Canada. the 41 ft is to big to travel with.

The Old Fogies
08-18-2019, 08:40 AM
We're in it camper 7 to 9 months a year since I retired. Loving it leave home and don't have a certain time to return is great.

bbells
08-18-2019, 08:43 AM
1 month in the Spring, usually to 4 corners area, Yellowstone, etc. 1 Month in the Fall for deer hunting. 3-4 long weekends during the summer for scuba diving. My other camper, the ice fishing wheelhouse, is used several times a week from September to the end of February. During the fall the wheelhouse is used for bow hunting 2-3 days in the middle of every week.

kirkwilliams2049
08-18-2019, 08:44 AM
Our season opened up this year with the month of May in Arizona. This was followed by 3 long weekends in Jasper Alberta. Heading up there again this coming weekend and then another week in September. If the weather holds, we will take the grand kids out for one last kick in October.

Nothing better than campfires, hot dogs and the spirit of nature.

bfisher003
08-18-2019, 08:44 AM
We are retired, live in Florida and typically take two to three major trips a year, plus some shorter, nearer two to four day trips. I define a major trip as at least three weeks, but usually four to five weeks or more and anywhere from 2,000 to 7,000 or more miles. For example, this year we did a spring trip of four weeks to New Mexico and Arizona that was around 5,000 miles and this summer with did a five week, 7,000 mile trip to North Dakota, South Dakota, Wyoming, Colorado, New Mexico and Texas. This Fall we will probably head up to upstate New York (wife originally from there) and maybe Maine, etc. In between we’ve done a few shorter trips. We’ve had our current fiver since last October and have put over 11,000 miles on it.

dmorgan64
08-18-2019, 09:15 AM
We go out about 5-6 times a year. One 2-3 week vacation. The rest are 3-4 day excursions. 3 of which are a combination and rv camping and horse outings! We are learning to go during the week for out 3-4 day excursions. Took a while after retirement to get into this mode!

fatcatzzz
08-18-2019, 09:32 AM
12 months a year. We are Full Time.

apachewolf
08-18-2019, 09:44 AM
We start out in early April and just keep going. Our use of the camper is about 4-5 months a year. We are due to leave on another trip on September 1 to Mesa, AZ where we will stay for 2 months. The year we have gone on a month long trip to apache junction another to Whetstone/Sierra Vista. We try to use it as much as possible.

Happy camping.

Rubicon100
08-18-2019, 09:47 AM
We like to go in the spring as much as possible and then through the summer we do an occasional state park for a weekend.
In the fall I pull it out to our hunting property and it stays there from October to December. I'm able to keep it at home so if we don't get out enough the kids will sleep in it for a night or two and they love it.

PSUTricky
08-18-2019, 11:58 AM
Just curious how often you guys use your campers/TT/5ers every year?

We are on our 7th trip( usually 3 day weekends) this year, and have had one week out camping on top of that this year. We only went 8 times last year.

I heard the average use is like 3 or 4 times. Cant see the point of owning one: paying for it, Storage, Insurance, Payment, etc.... only using it that few of times. But curious to know how often some of you get out?
Every other weekend usually. Sometimes 3 days, taking off Friday and leaving on a Thursday.

McRod
08-18-2019, 11:59 AM
365 days/yr. Sometimes we take a camping trip away from our 40ft. 5th wheel with just our truck and truck bed tent to places I can't pull it. Definitely the only way to get your $$ out of it.

Jubuco
08-18-2019, 01:42 PM
Well that really depends on if your a full timer, retired, etc. If you're like us who work everyday we don't go as often as we would like to. We do however go camping once every month for extended weekends and once for an 8 day trip with-in the camping year.

Phil Saran
08-18-2019, 02:22 PM
We belong to a Elks Lodge and have a camping group. This group goes out one 3-4 day weekend a month May though October.

We also added a 27 day round trip to Upper Peninsula in Michigan this summer.

Next March we are going to add a 2 week trip to Arizona to try that out.

Robert Campbell
08-18-2019, 03:31 PM
We camp March through November for 3 to 7 days per month. Our children are grown and married but we still do birthday camping/fishing long weekends and the occasional beach trip with both of them. My wife is retired which helps and we live in northeastern North Carolina. I hear many people say they don't think they get their moneys worth out of their camper. My question to them is "How do you feel when you go camping?". If you are like me relaxed, happy, close to family, carefree, and with nature.

Local150
08-18-2019, 04:24 PM
I use mine 3 months every winter to get out of the cold in Illinois. Then mid April through mid October I rent a small lot on the Rock River here in nw
llinois,, where I have my fishing boat and small boat dock, it's about 10 minutes from home and stay in it 3 nights or so during the week

Libbett
08-19-2019, 04:41 AM
We strive for twice a month starting in April, March if Pennsylvania weather allows. We do a couple local places (mostly early in the season for "shakedown") then we start going south for longer weekends. I'm a substitute teacher so am flexible and can work around DH's schedule. We have a small group, Wandering Souls, that we travel with, other times we take the grands to a Jellystone 1.5 hr down the road ($$$ but they love it) and come fall the rig stays in Blacksburg, VA for football season. We probably average 45-60 days/year. This year one of our grandsons had foot surgery so we weren't able to take them as much so we'll probably be only 45 days if we're lucky. We feel also that we need to use it often or it's a money pit but we're lucky enough to be able to park it at our house. Fingers crossed that DH finally takes the leap to work from the camper so we can take the show on the road and travel south for the winter!

Rayburn1162
08-20-2019, 04:06 PM
1 or 2 - 5 day winter trips witin 2 -3 hrs of North FL
3 weeks in the summer wherever we can find cooler air.
Labor day weekend
10 day fall trip to west Florida

Would do more but we love to spend time with our grands, Papa tutors the youngest some and since it is a spilt home, we treasure our time with the kids and also have home projects going on.

Want to do a 3 mth trip out West within a couple years..

Stumpy75
08-21-2019, 09:29 AM
I use my RV mostly to go to music festivals.

I start with a week in Wilkesboro, NC in late April for Merlefest, and it continues about every week and a half throughout the summer. Most of the time, I'm at a festival for a week, with two weeks at one of them. Then a week or so in Northern Michigan in the fall to see the early colors. It goes into storage by mid-October.

I've considered Florida some winter, but I'm one of those who does not mind the cold and snow!

BillMc
08-22-2019, 10:15 AM
At first (2007) we traveled a couple times a month. Since 2012 -16 only once or twice a year. 2017-Present not at all really. We keep it washed and the roof cleaned and inspected. The wife just told me the other day that she wanted to start camping again.

Frisbeekev
08-23-2019, 01:12 PM
We usually use ours 3-5 times a year. However 2 of those times are a week or more in the summer, then usually weekend trips. This spring/summer/fall we will have used it a total of 1 time per month between April and October. (6 months. 4 weekend trips, 1 week trip and 1 2 week trip. Hoping to do about the same next year.

atkinsb3
08-23-2019, 02:34 PM
We generally have 2 longer camping trips a year (5 - 7 days) as a family. Then me and my youngest son go 3 - 4 times a year for a weekend trip to watch the races at the dirt tracks in the area. Our last trip this year will be to Williams Grove PA to watch the World of Outlaw sprint cars the first weekend in October. So long story short, 5 - 6 times a year. We use it for guests and it also makes a comfy dog house for me as necessary!?!?

the406life
08-24-2019, 04:11 PM
This has been an off year for us. We got busy remodeling a house, selling a house, building a 40x60 home shop etc.

We have been out 3 times. One for a 3 day weekend and twice for a week.

Normally we get out 2 weekends a month and 2 or 3 full weeks between May-Oct.

Our I do all my own maintenance, we have storage on our property for free, and our Travel Trailer is currently our only debt and that's quickly dwindling. Everything else we own is paid for.

C.LeeNick
08-24-2019, 06:30 PM
Quite often.

We are fortunate to live near Navajo Lake State Park in Northwest New Mexico, so we can get a yearly camping pass and with it we can put our trailer out there, about 20 miles away, for $4 a night for the electricity, so often we leave it out there for a week at a time and go out fishing on our days off. We're fortunate that both my wife and myself like to fish! We also have lots of nearby camping at BLM campgrounds and such, so sometimes we'll get away for a couple days at a time. We like to "boondock" camp, so sometimes we just find a spot off some dirt road and set up camp.

As for longer trips/journeys, since the first of the year, we've taken our travel trailer to Arizona for two weeks in February. Then in the last couple months, we spent 9 days near Pioche/Panaca, Nevada, came home for a couple weeks, and then took the trailer across Highway 50 in Nevada to Ely, Nevada for a couple days, then on to Reno, Nevada for a couple days for Hot August Nights, a big week-long classic car extravaganza out there. That was another 10 day journey.

I would guess, all told, we've had it out about 40-50 days this year so far.

We are fortunate that we have a spot here at home to keep it, so we can be at the ready if we get the whim to go somewhere for a weekend.