PDA

View Full Version : Electric Hitch

Karyn Felt
08-12-2019, 08:03 AM
Hi everyone, I would like to surprise my husband with an early Christmas present. I would like to get him an electric tongue jack for our travel trailer...3500 pound capacity. Can you give me some ideas where to look for a good one for a decent price. Thank you.

sourdough
08-12-2019, 09:05 AM
The responses to this will likely be like asking about Ford vs Chevy vs Ram.

My OE Lippert on this trailer was great except the rubber grommet on the top leaked water during rain and eventually filled the box with the control board and fried it. It looks like they have changed the design now so that might not be a consideration any longer.

I replaced the Lippert with a Stromberg Carlson 5k hitch. It is stout but incredibly slow resulting in a lot of impatience on my part.

My only suggestion is to go with a known brand. From what I've seen there are lots of them out there but I'm not sure what kind of support, if any, there is for many of them. Stromberg, Lippert, Husky, Bulldog - I've heard good things about them all. Just do some research on them plus I'm sure you will get quite a few recommendations from other members.

UsTwo
08-12-2019, 09:27 AM
I use a 3500 BullDog. I has the light and level on it. This one carry's a 5 yr warranty. I don't know if they actually stand by that as I have never had any problems in 8 yrs.. With a small wiggle the bolt holes lined up in the trlr frame jack, and I hooked direct to the battery..

Texas Steve
08-12-2019, 09:52 AM
My DW got me a Stromberg for my birthday. She got the 5K model, and as posted above it is a little slow, but sure beat hand cranking! Took about 3 0 minutes to install. Works great!

NH_Bulldog
08-12-2019, 10:08 AM
Bulldog is what we have, love it! (And no, we didn’t buy it just because it said Bulldog on it)

GMcKenzie
08-12-2019, 10:42 AM
I have to admit to wanting this one

https://www.amazon.ca/Husky-87641-Electric-Wireless-Remote/dp/B0063ZBXZC

Comes with a wireless remote so I could back up, using the backup camera, and then drop the hitch right on the ball all without ever leaving the drivers seat.

But the price is a bit much. :)

Karyn Felt
08-12-2019, 12:16 PM
Thanks... I'm doing some research on all of these... been looking at Husky and Bulldog...

larryflew
08-12-2019, 12:50 PM
We no longer have a TT as we are now in 5th wheel but when we where I would have been extremely happy if my electric lift had been wireless. SOOOO much more handy IMO.

Customer1
08-12-2019, 01:36 PM
Pretty much any of them will do fine. Many use one from Harbor Freight and I've never read a complaint.

Stan3718
08-13-2019, 05:18 AM
I've had the Harbor Freight for two years with no issues at all.